Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
on a related note, what are "not-so-competitive" specialties with little to moderate patient contact? all i can think of is pathology.
Psych. 8 1hr meetings a day. Way less patients than anyone else.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
on a related note, what are "not-so-competitive" specialties with little to moderate patient contact? all i can think of is pathology.
Psych. 8 1hr meetings a day. Way less patients than anyone else.
.....Are you rotating with psychologists? I've never seen a psychiatrist have 1 hr slots on outpatient, and definitely not on inpatient.
A friend of mine is a psychiatrist and she does outpatient appointments 45-60 minutes long. I just assumed that was the norm.
Is this talk therapy?
Isn't that what psych does?
No, psychiatry has more become medication management these days more than talk therapy. That being said, depending on the reimbursement of your practice, you can definitely incorporate talk therapy. You can bet the high roller patients will demand it.Isn't that what psych does?
The psychiatrist I shadowed did 60 minute intakes and 20 minute med checks. No therapy. That's pretty standard for outpatient. If you want to be a therapist become a psychologist, they typically have 50 or 60 min appointments but it varies.
Were there a lot of patients who requested to be seen alone (i.e. without you in the room)? I would guess student shadowing is more difficult in psych compared to other specialties.
Just 1.
Nice. I had more than that shadowing in rheum and derm.
What do you guys talk about besides school? Besides school the only topic I can hold a conversation in is sports and while that works for my circle of friends it doesn't help much with other people in my class. Suggestions on things to be aware of in the world?
I think there are variety of things you can talk about, but that being said you have to realize that you won't be making friends with EVERYONE in the class. At the end of MS-4, there will still be some people who don't know people in the class. People have much established cliques based on certain characteristics. Sometimes the "smart" people don't want to take the time to be around people they consider "dumb".
Basically, my plan for sanity in med school during the pre-clinical is to
- study (but skip lecture)
- work out
- flirt/interact with girls outside the MD program.
Throw in some sleep, food, and house parties. I will sell my soul to the administration for third year though.
Movies, current events, video games, not being overly neurotic (at least not outwardly), going out to different fun events, etc.Give me some examples! I don't intend to make friends with everyone or even most people in my class. For whatever reason people do stop to talk to me when I'm on campus and I almost never have anything to talk about unless it's sports.
Give me some examples! I don't intend to make friends with everyone or even most people in my class. For whatever reason people do stop to talk to me when I'm on campus and I almost never have anything to talk about unless it's sports.
I think there are variety of things you can talk about, but that being said you have to realize that you won't be making friends with EVERYONE in the class. At the end of MS-4, there will still be some people who don't know people in the class. People have much established cliques based on certain characteristics. Sometimes the "smart" people don't want to take the time to be around people they consider "dumb".
It's always women who do this, though. Do you think they know I'm forever alone, and hate me because of it?
Maybe bc you talk about hammin' dem bishes? Women (esp. those in medical school) don't tolerate those things very well.QFT. Our med school is pretty cliquish. Most of the men are friendly enough, but some women refuse to speak to me or even say "hi" back, because they think they are above me, be it academically/socially/romantically/etc.
It's always women who do this, though. Do you think they know I'm forever alone, and hate me because of it?
Maybe bc you talk about hammin' dem bishes? Women (esp. those in medical school) don't tolerate those things very well.
That being said there are many types of women in medical school. Key is to be friends with the nice and smart ones (not necessarily mutually exclusive) and stay away from the bat**** crazy ones.
Nice. I had more than that shadowing in rheum and derm.
What do you guys talk about besides school? Besides school the only topic I can hold a conversation in is sports and while that works for my circle of friends it doesn't help much with other people in my class. Suggestions on things to be aware of in the world?
10 topics I've discussed off the top of my head:
- school (obviously)
- sports (especially American and "the rest of the world" football)
- video games (especially FIFA 14 which is big at my school)
- memes and whatever funny, ridiculous **** that comes to our deranged minds
- healthcare, socioeconomic and race politics
- anime/manga
- women (!)
- philosophy and the meaning of life
- music (I play drums in a band, too)
- LIFTING (powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman, Olympic lifting, you name it)
There's more that I can come up with because I don't necessarily plan what I'm going to say. I just say it and let the pieces fall where they may.
QFT. Our med school is pretty cliquish. Most of the men are friendly enough, but some women refuse to speak to me or even say "hi" back, because they think they are above me, be it academically/socially/romantically/etc.
It's always women who do this, though. Do you think they know I'm forever alone, and hate me because of it?
They probably think you are creepy. If you suck at social interaction as much as you claim, you could have easily overstepped your boundaries and gotten a reputation.
Maybe bc you talk about hammin' dem bishes? Women (esp. those in medical school) don't tolerate those things very well.
That being said there are many types of women in medical school. Key is to be friends with the nice and smart ones (not necessarily mutually exclusive) and stay away from the bat**** crazy ones.
Heh, I have mentioned going ham on the bishes, but only to men who I'm already friendly with. In any case, I have been befriending a few kind and friendly women.
Yeah. And those men have friends as well. And some of those friends are probably women. I'm telling you, unless you can think of someone else who fits the bill, you are the class creeper.
Uh, no.Nevertheless, I understand that many women label unattractive men as "creeps" just for being unattractive. So be it, then.
Ugly guy slaps a girl on the ass vs george clooney doing it.
One goes to jail, both get laid.
Which of them was creepy?
Uh, no.
She said creeper, not creep. You said creep. And that's your definition, not hers.Then I'm afraid I don't understand. I thought being a "creep" was about disrespecting people's boundaries and harassing them.
But touchpause thinks I am a creep when I have done no such thing. It seems that her definition of "creep" is a weird and/or unattractive man
Really? I've seen from talking to both guy and gal friends, that the ugly guy who keeps going for someone is a creep, scumbag, or whatever, while the good looking guy who does that (on the rare occasion that he needs to) is "persistent" in the positive way.Uh, no.
10 topics I've discussed off the top of my head:
- school (obviously)
- sports (especially American and "the rest of the world" football)
- video games (especially FIFA 14 which is big at my school)
- memes and whatever funny, ridiculous **** that comes to our deranged minds
- healthcare, socioeconomic and race politics
- anime/manga
- women (!)
- philosophy and the meaning of life
- music (I play drums in a band, too)
- LIFTING (powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman, Olympic lifting, you name it)
There's more that I can come up with because I don't necessarily plan what I'm going to say. I just say it and let the pieces fall where they may.
If a hot gay guy or an ugly gay guy slapped you on the ass would it make any difference to you?
It's creepy, it's harassment, and it's wrong
Then I'm afraid I don't understand. I thought being a "creep" was about disrespecting people's boundaries and harassing them.
But touchpause thinks I am a creep when I have done no such thing. It seems that her definition of "creep" is a weird and/or unattractive man
Using an ugly gay guy vs hot gay guy as a comparison to ugly guy vs George Clooney is a poor example. Women are largely interested in good looking, wealthy, famous men. This is under the assumption that most women are interested in men, which is true.
Most men are not homosexual so being slapped on the ass by a gay man would be terrible regardless of how good looking the gay man is.
A better comparison is hot girl slapping me on the ass versus a professional female power lifter slapping me on the ass. Yes, it would matter.
Really? I've seen from talking to both guy and gal friends, that the ugly guy who keeps going for someone is a creep, scumbag, or whatever, while the good looking guy who does that (on the rare occasion that he needs to) is "persistent" in the positive way.
Don't get me wrong, anyone can be a creep, but often nearly identical actions done by different people are interpreted differently.
I don't think you are weird or ugly. I think you perhaps aren't good at reading social cues, which could lead to overstepping boundaries or saying things that could make people uncomfortable, therefore giving you the reputation of a creeper.
You don't get it. I picked a man because I was trying to point out the fact that you are being hit on by someone bigger and stronger than you. Someone who could hurt you. It doesn't matter at all if that person is hot. I've said it before, the biggest creeper I know is insanely handsome. It has nothing to do with hottness level, it has to do with the level of risk.
So why did you use hot/ugly as comparative qualifiers and not bigger/stronger vs smaller/weaker? Also, why does it matter if the bigger guy is gay? I'd be equally terrified if a large straight man slapped me on the ass.
Because commented about hot/ugly and I was responding to them. The point was the it doesn't matter. Dat reading comprehension
That poster was making the point that hot guys (George Clooney) are less likely to be accused of sexual assault than ugly guys. Whether or not that's true is another story. His point wasn't that a big strong man is more terrifying than a small weak man (which is what your point is).
I've seen from talking to both guy and gal friends, that the ugly guy who keeps going for someone is a creep, scumbag, or whatever, while the good looking guy who does that (on the rare occasion that he needs to) is "persistent" in the positive way.
Really? I've seen from talking to both guy and gal friends, that the ugly guy who keeps going for someone is a creep, scumbag, or whatever, while the good looking guy who does that (on the rare occasion that he needs to) is "persistent" in the positive way.
Don't get me wrong, anyone can be a creep, but often nearly identical actions done by different people are interpreted differently.
Using an ugly gay guy vs hot gay guy as a comparison to ugly guy vs George Clooney is a poor example. Women are largely interested in good looking, wealthy, famous men. This is under the assumption that most women are interested in men, which is true.
Most men are not homosexual so being slapped on the ass by a gay man would be terrible regardless of how good looking the gay man is.
A better comparison is hot girl slapping me on the ass versus a professional female power lifter slapping me on the ass. Yes, it would matter.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.