Determining career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harryboy44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on SDN and I'm interested to see the responses. I am currently a junior at a public university in Arkansas. I am looking at taking the MCAT this upcoming summer and having my application sent in shortly after. I play college football, have pretty strong volunteer and shadowing hours, so I feel my EC's are pretty good. I'm sitting at about a 3.5 GPA currently, and am confident if given an interview I could succeed well. Am just wanting to get some feedback on how my chances are looking, and as far as applying goes, advice on applying to both DO and MD schools. There is one MD school in Arkansas, and two DO's. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Without a MCAT score, it would be difficult to gage your competitiveness since your GPA is below the average for competitive Non-URM applicants. Smash that and return with another post. Adcoms will then be able to give you a list of schools.

Keep shoring up your ECs, and change your pic on your avatar to protect your anonymity.

GL!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, this is my first post on SDN and I'm interested to see the responses. I am currently a junior at a public university in Arkansas. I am looking at taking the MCAT this upcoming summer and having my application sent in shortly after. I play college football, have pretty strong volunteer and shadowing hours, so I feel my EC's are pretty good. I'm sitting at about a 3.5 GPA currently, and am confident if given an interview I could succeed well. Am just wanting to get some feedback on how my chances are looking, and as far as applying goes, advice on applying to both DO and MD schools. There is one MD school in Arkansas, and two DO's. Thanks in advance!
So far, so good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep doing what you're doing and kill the MCAT. Plan to apply to more than just the schools in Arkansas (not because your stats suck or anything, but because three is too few med school applications for anyone to submit).

Reactions: 1 users
Keep doing what you're doing and kill the MCAT. Plan to apply to more than just the schools in Arkansas (not because your stats suck or anything, but because three is too few med school applications for anyone to submit).
Any comments on DO vs MD?

Any comments on DO vs MD?
Traditionally, MD has been seen as the safer bet for leaving as many doors open as possible. The historic match rate for US allopathic grads is about 99%, though that's decreased to around 96% in recent years with the proliferation of new DO schools. On the other hand, the match rate for osteopathic grads is around 75%.

There are several reasons for the match rate discrepancy; some are justified, others are outdated. For better or worse, some people both in and out of the medical community regard DO training as "inferior". As a result, DO schools typically have lower average GPA/MCAT scores, which perpetuates the notion that the students are "inferior", and the whole thing becomes a positive feedback loop. DOs have also suffered from having some of their number endorse and promote aspects of the osteopathic philosophy that aren't widely accepted within the larger medical community.

In training, allopathic students take the USMLE and prepare for allopathic residencies. Osteopathic students take the COMLEX in order to match to osteopathic spots; those who want to match to allopathic ones must also take the USMLE.

My personal impression is that well-trained MDs and well-trained DOs are virtually indistinguishable in practice. I believe there's more variability in the quality of education between DO schools than there is between their allopathic counterparts -- the top end of DO schools is every bit as solid as the large majority of MD schools, but the bottom end is far below the allopathic school floor. That said, I did my residency in the Army, which has a higher proportion of DOs than does the civilian world, and I very rarely had any concerns about any of my DO colleagues. My brother-in-law and my best friend are both DOs, and both of them are outstanding physicians. There are a number of DO residents in my department's residency program, including one of our two chief residents.

In summary:
- Both MD and DO schools turn out excellent graduates
- If you go DO, admission to med school will be somewhat easier but matching to residency may be more challenging
- Like MDs, DOs do residency training in every specialty

With your GPA and a solid MCAT score, you'll be competitive for many MD schools and all DO schools. I think you should plan to apply broadly to both. I'm going to tag @Goro to this thread, as he can provide you much more insightful and comprehensive information regarding DO admissions and training. I encourage you to read through his post history -- there are a lot of gems there that can help you with both DO and MD applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Traditionally, MD has been seen as the safer bet for leaving as many doors open as possible. The historic match rate for US allopathic grads is about 99%, though that's decreased to around 96% in recent years with the proliferation of new DO schools. On the other hand, the match rate for osteopathic grads is around 75%.

There are several reasons for the match rate discrepancy; some are justified, others are outdated. For better or worse, some people both in and out of the medical community regard DO training as "inferior". As a result, DO schools typically have lower average GPA/MCAT scores, which perpetuates the notion that the students are "inferior", and the whole thing becomes a positive feedback loop. DOs have also suffered from having some of their number endorse and promote aspects of the osteopathic philosophy that aren't widely accepted within the larger medical community.

In training, allopathic students take the USMLE and prepare for allopathic residencies. Osteopathic students take the COMLEX in order to match to osteopathic spots; those who want to match to allopathic ones must also take the USMLE.

My personal impression is that well-trained MDs and well-trained DOs are virtually indistinguishable in practice. I believe there's more variability in the quality of education between DO schools than there is between their allopathic counterparts -- the top end of DO schools is every bit as solid as the large majority of MD schools, but the bottom end is far below the allopathic school floor. That said, I did my residency in the Army, which has a higher proportion of DOs than does the civilian world, and I very rarely had any concerns about any of my DO colleagues. My brother-in-law and my best friend are both DOs, and both of them are outstanding physicians. There are a number of DO residents in my department's residency program, including one of our two chief residents.

In summary:
- Both MD and DO schools turn out excellent graduates
- If you go DO, admission to med school will be somewhat easier but matching to residency may be more challenging
- Like MDs, DOs do residency training in every specialty

With your GPA and a solid MCAT score, you'll be competitive for many MD schools and all DO schools. I think you should plan to apply broadly to both. I'm going to tag @Goro to this thread, as he can provide you much more insightful and comprehensive information regarding DO admissions and training. I encourage you to read through his post history -- there are a lot of gems there that can help you with both DO and MD applications.
To follow up my learned colleague's comments, when you combine the AOA (DO) match (about 3000 slots) with that of the ACGME (MD) match (about 25000 slots), DO grads match into residencies at the same rates as MD grads. This will be moot after 2020, when the two residency pathways merge into a single combined match overseen by ACGME.

As Homeskool mentioned, there are more doors open to you as an MD grad because there are ACGME sites that simply refuse to accept DOs. That said, DOs can end up in specialties, even the uber-ones. But it will be a more uphill battle for them.

The following fields are most DO-friendly (source: Program Directors Survey 2016):
Radiology-Diagnostic
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Emergency Medicine
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Primary Care fields are the easiest and this is the mission of the AOA.

These are the hardest for DOs:
Thoracic Surgery
Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Orthopedic Surgery

Reactions: 2 users
I think you are on a great track as I also played a collegiate sport, similar GPA and had a tons of ECs. Just do as well on the MCAT as you can. I was the same way thinking "if I could just get interviews I will succeed". Its good to know your strengths as I got 3 interviews and 3 acceptances from those interviews. I applied to both DO and MD schools and have a great deal of respect for both professions. Both are an honor to be accepted to! That being said if given the opportunity to choose between an acceptance from an MD school and one from a DO school...it is hard to choose the DO school over the MD school.

To follow up my learned colleague's comments, when you combine the AOA (DO) match (about 3000 slots) with that of the ACGME (MD) match (about 25000 slots), DO grads match into residencies at the same rates as MD grads. This will be moot after 2020, when the two residency pathways merge into a single combined match overseen by ACGME.

As Homeskool mentioned, there are more doors open to you as an MD grad because there are ACGME sites that simply refuse to accept DOs. That said, DOs can end up in specialties, even the uber-ones. But it will be a more uphill battle for them.

The following fields are most DO-friendly (source: Program Directors Survey 2016):
Radiology-Diagnostic
Emergency Medicine
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine

Thoracic Surgery
Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Orthopedic Surgery
All excellent points. My apologies for the lack of clarity in my earlier post. The match rates I cited weren't for all students, just those who applied to allopathic residencies. (FYI, the corresponding stat for FMGs is < 50%.)

Radiology-Diagnostic
Emergency Medicine
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine

Thoracic Surgery
Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Orthopedic Surgery

I would be very naive to say I already have my for sure career choice chosen, but I really plan on pursuing an internal medicine career and return to a rural town. I grew up in a town of about 2,000 and really have a love for the small town atmosphere. Arkansas has a program like I'm sure most states do where you can get loan forgiveness for an agreement to return to a rural area hospital for so many years. That's really my biggest wish is to make it into Arkansas's only MD school (UAMS). The reasoning for me asking for a DO explanation is there have been 2 schools in the state of Arkansas just start up within the last two years and I have been pretty interested to see that DO's for the most part are every bit as qualified as an MD would be. Not saying that I am planning my plan B already, so long as I achieve a great MCAT score I think that UAMS will be a very able possibility as well.

With this being said, what are some trusted study tactics/programs for the MCAT? I plan on taking it in late July and studying throughout the spring semester and then studying intensely May up until the test date. Again, and insight will be very appreciated and I really thank you guys for your responses, it helped a lot!