DO Developing a competitive application for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurveballfromCanada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello doctors, medical students, and fellow hopefuls.

I've created this thread because I'd like to learn what I should do for my application that would specifically improve my chances of getting into a DO program? I'm a first year nursing student in Canada, and the I've learned more about osteopathic medicine the more I think it might be the right path for me, mainly because of the increased emphasis on the holistic approach (it gets a lot of emphasis in nursing school). My GPA is currently ~3.6, and for extra-curricular activities I volunteer at a nursing home for 2 hours every week, I'm an assistant note-taker for classmates with focus issues, and I participate in my school's archery club. I'm also in the process of finding a physician to shadow over the summer. I also have will have a lot of clinical exposure from clinical rotations as a nursing student (my first is coming up in March).

I've talked to and emailed DO programs in the US, they told me the best thing I could do to improve my application would be to expand my knowledge of osteopathic medicine specifically; they want to know that applicants are applying because they want to be a DO, and aren't just doing this as an alternative to an MD program. What can I do to show this if my ability to actually observe DOs is limited by my circumstances (DOs are very rare in Canada, and I can't to travel the US to attend any conferences or lectures about osteopathic medicine due to the costs involved). There's a reading list on the AACOM website that I've started reading, but I'd like something more concrete as well, ideally something I could put on my application and show proof of. Any general advice about improving my application would be greatly appreciated as well.

All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Many DO schools will blatantly ask you on the secondary application "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" or some variation of this question. This is ultimately where you need to show that you fully understand the ideologies behind the osteopathic approach and really vocalize how and why these ideologies appeal to you. Also, many DO schools require that you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, so I would look into finding one you can shadow. Your GPA is good, but can't really gauge how you stand academically without an MCAT score. Other than that, I would possibly work on building up your EC's a bit. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Many DO schools will blatantly ask you on the secondary application "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" or some variation of this question. This is ultimately where you need to show that you fully understand the ideologies behind the osteopathic approach and really vocalize how and why these ideologies appeal to you. Also, many DO schools require that you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, so I would look into finding one you can shadow. Your GPA is good, but can't really gauge how you stand academically without an MCAT score. Other than that, I would possibly work on building up your EC's a bit. Hope this helps!

In terms of adding more ECs, should I focus more on activities that involve patient contact in a health care setting, or would any sort of community service be alright? I ask because getting a volunteer position in a health care setting is more of a process, whereas I can easily find a volunteer position at a place like soup kitchen (especially over the summer). By the time I graduate I'll also have several hundred hours of clinical placements, so I'm wondering if I can't put it on the backburner in terms of ECs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need both. Schools like to see well-rounded individuals. Health care experience is obviously important, but being involved in other activities outside of the medical field is equally important. Do you have any research experience? That's also something schools look at.

Do you have any research experience? That's also something schools look at.

That's one of my problems; I'll be able to get involved in nursing research through my program once I finish my second year (basically it revolves observing current behaviors and practice methods to develop better practice methods), and I intend to, but most bio-medical research programs for students want science majors, at least at my school. It would probably still be better than nothing though. Thanks for the tip.

I have c3.52 and s3.25 with upward trend for the last 3 years. I am planning to apply to DO school this summer.

I have volunteering leadership experiences, teaching, tutoring, summer camps working with children, teens and youth. (2000+ hours)
Worked as medical transportation driver. Taking patients to and from medical appointments.
Worked for medical device company.

Shadowing for more than (100+ hours)
ER volunteer more than (150+ hours)
Salvation Army Kitchen (100+ hours) as well.

I have not taken MCAT yet.
I know that my GPA is kind of low. There is not much I can do to improve it because I have taken too many classes so GPA wont rise much anymore.

What are your suggestions? What can I do to improve?

Thank you

Same as what they told me: get experience specific to Osteopathic medicine. When you shadowed, did you shadow a DO? If you did that's great, otherwise look into it. They want to know that you want to be a DO, and that you're not just applying because you heard it was easier to get into than medical school, so you have to be able to show them your interests. I'm not making that up, that's what I've been told by these places. If you can't shadow, try attending lectures or seminars or conferences on osteopathic medicine.

From what I've seen from other WAMC threads on SDN, if you got a good score on your MCAT you should stand a fighting chance (especially since you have killer ECs from the looks of things). Right now I think you should make getting a good MCAT score your top priority. From what I've read on here, it's best thing you can do to balance out a low GPA.

Hello doctors, medical students, and fellow hopefuls.

What can I do to show this if my ability to actually observe DOs is limited by my circumstances (DOs are very rare in Canada, and I can't to travel the US to attend any conferences or lectures about osteopathic medicine due to the costs involved). There's a reading list on the AACOM website that I've started reading, but I'd like something more concrete as well, ideally something I could put on my application and show proof of. Any general advice about improving my application would be greatly appreciated as well.

All the best.

How close are you to the border? If possible, contact a DO in the US (like Detroit or Buffalo or Seattle, depending on where in Canada), and shadow them.