Diagnosis: Academic Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a cure immediately. I think I'm going to have a D overall for math. Today's test is going to be on Exponential and Logarithms(in about a half an hour). I crammed(We only learned this topic for 2 days, reviewed and that's it). I'm tired. Finals start Friday. Math is the hardest thing ever. I'm trying, I'm crying. My goal was to get at least an A or B in all classes or a mix of both. I'm taking five classes. I have 3 more finals, a 2,000 word essay, (just finished my last speech last week), and that's it actually. I am not looking forward to that 2,000(8 pages) essay about "are robots going to be smarter than humans". Well duh professor. My brain has retained enough information, if I process anything else my brain will explode. Help! Its almost the end!

Members don't see this ad.

Learn to manage your time effectively.. Isn't this what the whole process is about?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need a cure immediately. I think I'm going to have a D overall for math. Today's test is going to be on Exponential and Logarithms(in about a half an hour). I crammed(We only learned this topic for 2 days, reviewed and that's it). I'm tired. Finals start Friday. Math is the hardest thing ever. I'm trying, I'm crying. My goal was to get at least an A or B in all classes or a mix of both. I'm taking five classes. I have 3 more finals, a 2,000 word essay, (just finished my last speech last week), and that's it actually. I am not looking forward to that 2,000(8 pages) essay about "are robots going to be smarter than humans". Well duh professor. My brain has retained enough information, if I process anything else my brain will explode. Help! Its almost the end!

Given the lack of questions, I assume that we are supposed to ask you questions.

#1 You are learning about exponents and logarithms? Didn't you learn about that in middle/high school?
#2 Why do you think that you are struggling so much? How much of it is you vs. the system?
#3 Have you looked into the academic resources available at your school?

Undergrad is about learning how to learn. This is your first real lesson. Mathematics is difficult. But, it is certainly not the "hardest thing ever", especially when you are talking about topics covered routinely in middle or high school. 2000 words is a couple hours of typing if you know what to say. I hate to tell you this, but it isn't almost the end. After this comes a short break and then 7 more semesters like this. At some point there is an MCAT, then there are medical school exams, Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and won't really stop until you are in your 30s. If you really can't process anything else and your brain is at capacity, then maybe college isn't for you.

Attempt at constructive advice:
#1 Protect yourself. Drop any classes you are going to get a C- or below in. You were clearly unprepared for these classes or did not put the effort in. It is far better to have a W on your transcript than a D.
#2 Get help. Every school has learning resources. Tutors, group sessions, mentors, etc. Every class has office hours. Not all TAs or tutors are going to be helpful and it is on you to figure out how YOU learn best, but you are not working on things that haven't been studied before. There are plenty of people out there that have been through what you have been through and can offer guidance.
#3 Break down your schedule. Undergrad can be busy. Especially when you are working full time or have large full time EC commitments. You need to dissect every last second of a normal week and figure out why you feel so crammed. Then you need to figure out what is important to you and how much time YOU need to allot for studying and guarantee that you will get that.

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
If you can, drop the course, and get to your school's education center for help with learning, and your counseling center, stat.

Reactions: 1 user
You are clearly biting off more than you can chew. Don't let this be a trend because it shows poor decision making habits.

Being a senior psych major is great. You don't really have to study for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow what an excellent paper topic. You could look into transhumanism and/or also talk about how technology is slowly eating away at our jobs.

Wow what an a hole. As mentioned above I said we learned the material in 2 days, I did study(pomodoro technique) but I still found it hard to retain the information after 2 days of studying on my own. The question was posted as an adoce column.

Given the lack of questions, I assume that we are supposed to ask you questions.

#1 You are learning about exponents and logarithms? Didn't you learn about that in middle/high school?
#2 Why do you think that you are struggling so much? How much of it is you vs. the system?
#3 Have you looked into the academic resources available at your school?

Undergrad is about learning how to learn. This is your first real lesson. Mathematics is difficult. But, it is certainly not the "hardest thing ever", especially when you are talking about topics covered routinely in middle or high school. 2000 words is a couple hours of typing if you know what to say. I hate to tell you this, but it isn't almost the end. After this comes a short break and then 7 more semesters like this. At some point there is an MCAT, then there are medical school exams, Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and won't really stop until you are in your 30s. If you really can't process anything else and your brain is at capacity, then maybe college isn't for you.

Attempt at constructive advice:
#1 Protect yourself. Drop any classes you are going to get a C- or below in. You were clearly unprepared for these classes or did not put the effort in. It is far better to have a W on your transcript than a D.
#2 Get help. Every school has learning resources. Tutors, group sessions, mentors, etc. Every class has office hours. Not all TAs or tutors are going to be helpful and it is on you to figure out how YOU learn best, but you are not working on things that haven't been studied before. There are plenty of people out there that have been through what you have been through and can offer guidance.
#3 Break down your schedule. Undergrad can be busy. Especially when you are working full time or have large full time EC commitments. You need to dissect every last second of a normal week and figure out why you feel so crammed. Then you need to figure out what is important to you and how much time YOU need to allot for studying and guarantee that you will get that.
Upper level exponential and logarithms, actually solving functions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow a lot of you are a holes. As mentioned above I said we learned the material in 2 days, I did study(pomodoro technique) but I still found it hardball retain the information after 2 days of studying on my own. The question was posted as an adoce column.
Calm down and breath. Manage your anxiety before posting a rant like this. Nobody can help you if you simply go on a tirade.

Update: I have another essay...1000 words on what it means to be human, no sources, just my mind.

Calm down and breath. Manage your anxiety before posting a rant like this. Nobody can help you if you simply go on a tirade.
I have an anxiety disorder too. But it doesn't help when people say stuff about nothing that they know. Yes I crammed but that's because I forgot all the information I studied by working on other assignments.

Did you make this thread just so you could attack everyone who tried to give you advice?
It seems like you're blaming your failures on everyone but yourself.

I have an anxiety disorder too. But it doesn't help when people say stuff about nothing that they know. Yes I crammed but that's because I forgot all the information I studied by working on other assignments.
Make sure you get some help on your anxiety before moving forward with the idea of going to med school. If you have trouble dealing with UG coarse load, you need to be sure that M1 wouldn't just murder you outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This seems to have turned into more of a "listen to all my complaints" thread than a "give me advice" thread
Whatevs, just don't respond if it's a complaint thread. It's like eating when your full.

Few things I suggest when taking a challenging courseload:
-Plan ahead. Most profs post what the topics that are going to be covered in their syllabuses (syllabi??). Don't get behind. Have a free weekend with no essays or homework due? Read ahead. Textbooks are great. Just because the prof doesn't mention the textbook or assign questions from it, doesn't mean it's useless. I'm always appalled by people who complain the prof never told them to read the textbook. Textbooks are picked for a reason, use them!
-Learn to take strategic breaks. Studying for hours everyday is not helpful if you're not retaining anything. I suggest always taking an hour a day to exercise. Study in the morning, eat, exercise, and then study in the afternoon. The brief pause allows you to recover and mull over the information.
-Eat well and eat smart. Cook healthy meals in bulk, and either freeze some or store it in the fridge. Food prep can really take a lot of time, but not giving your brain the nutrients it needs is not the answer. Throw multiple chicken breasts in the oven and cook them while you study. Whenever you get hungry just make some rice or noodles or make some fajitas, whatever floats your boat, shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to eat.
-Take criticism well. If you ask people for advice, don't get defensive. People are posting because they are trying to help, not to attack you.

Some of these won't help as it's too late in the semester. Just do your best, it's not the end of the world to get a few B's if you learn from it.

Whatevs, just don't respond if it's a complaint thread. It's like eating when your full.

By the tone of your responses, you have a lot of maturing to do. Sure, this is an informal anonymous forum but understand your audience. You have admissions committee members at medical schools, practicing physicians, etc responding to your plea for sympathy in this thread. No one wants to see you talk like you're in 7th grade, or dismiss people who are taking their time to respond to your honestly useless post, and give you advice for the future.

At least it's not 3d integration

By the tone of your responses, you have a lot of maturing to do. Sure, this is an informal anonymous forum but understand your audience. You have admissions committee members at medical schools, practicing physicians, etc responding to your plea for sympathy in this thread. No one wants to see you talk like you're in 7th grade, or dismiss people who are taking their time to respond to your honestly useless post, and give you advice for the future.
Cause I say whatevs lol. You people are so judgmental on here it ridiculous, you don't know my life so stop it.

Me now: I went to therapy today with my mom. I'll be a doctor soon. I won't let this get the best of me. Me later: My life is horrible, I'll never be doctor. I let everything get the best of me *bursts out out in tears*

Today I went to a therapist, she was rad. She's gonna help me with my anxiety. Oh and I go off the walls around my "monthly", so sorry.

Math final is friday and I'm kicking ass right now. Well technically not right now cause I'm typing, but you get the point. Ready for CALC next semester!

Done list for today: Last math homework/study for math finals(2 hours)....essay revisions for English(1 hours)...get ready for school tomorrow.

To do list until the end of the semester: Ethics extra credit, ethics final paper, ethics final exam, study for ethics final, finish 2,000 word essay for English and 1,000 word essay for English, do take home communications final....go to job interview and kill it....and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Feeling really confident guys.

Done list for today: Last math homework/study for math finals(2 hours)....essay revisions for English(1 hours)...get ready for school tomorrow.

To do list until the end of the semester: Ethics extra credit, ethics final paper, ethics final exam, study for ethics final, finish 2,000 word essay for English and 1,000 word essay for English, do take home communications final....go to job interview and kill it....and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Feeling really confident guys.
I'm really hoping this was to annoy the person to said get a blog.

NEW WEBSITE IDEA: Blog for premeds. Linked in SDN's bios like MDAPP.

No but I really do need a blog lol. My whole life story is on SDN and this is fact.

How about a tumblr or blogspot idk? I have a study blog just to point that out(I'm nerdy...I know) But that's a really good idea.

I'm really hoping this was to annoy the person to said get a blog.

How about a tumblr or blogspot idk? I have a study blog just to point that out(I'm nerdy...I know) But that's a really good idea.

I'll help design it! :D

UPDATE:Got an A- on my second essay about the war on drugs