Dick Vet 4 year vs 5 year

Started by robert90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have handling and welfare exams until Friday afternoon, but will be around after that. We are having Dicks' Got Talent on Saturday, I think it's £3-5 and it is going to be held in town on Saturday. I know I am going and I think most of the Dick vets on here are going. If you want, we could meet up and you could come too!

Oh that sounds great! I'm definetly in! I'll be at the vet school on Friday too 🙂
 
Just found out tickets are purchase at the door. Will you have internet while you're here? If so I can send you all the details or we could try and meet up before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just found out tickets are purchase at the door. Will you have internet while you're here? If so I can send you all the details or we could try and meet up before.

I have internet at my hotel, so if you send me the details that should be fine 🙂
 
Does anyone know how much the deposit is in US dollars? I am about to make my deposit but I need to know exactly how much it is in US dollars and if there will be any additional charges since it will be an international transaction with my visa card. Thanks! 🙂
 
I don't think there was any extra charge or fee for using my card. A safe bet is 2,500 or less. I'll check the exact numbers with my dad. 🙂
 
You should call your bank then and ask. They'd know better because I used a credit card so it may be different. :\
 
Does anyone know how much the deposit is in US dollars? I am about to make my deposit but I need to know exactly how much it is in US dollars and if there will be any additional charges since it will be an international transaction with my visa card. Thanks! 🙂

I know you are still waiting to hear back from a waitlist or two, but this just made me smile anyway 😀

Some cards/banks will charge a slightly higher exchange rate - I think that the rate is like $1.59: £1. So they might charge like $1.70 per pound. I would just double check with your bank.
 
I know you are still waiting to hear back from a waitlist or two, but this just made me smile anyway 😀

Some cards/banks will charge a slightly higher exchange rate - I think that the rate is like $1.59: £1. So they might charge like $1.70 per pound. I would just double check with your bank.

Thanks. I will call my bank to see what the exchange rate will be and if there are any other fees. I will be making my deposit a little later today. 😀
 
Thanks guys! I am excited to be going to vet school but terrified about everything that I have to do just to get there. I am very limited on funds. I got lucky with being able to make this deposit so hopefully I can afford the rest of what I have to do to actually get to school.
 
Yeah, I totally understand. It was a really big concern for me, and I thought about backing out a few times because I began to panic. If you ever want to talk about feel free to PM me 🙂 I swear I can talk about more than just WW 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also checked out your blog. Very nice... but avoiding haggis, eh? We'll change that soon enough. 😀 You have to try it if you're going to live here, and it's actually delicious!
 
I also checked out your blog. Very nice... but avoiding haggis, eh? We'll change that soon enough. 😀 You have to try it if you're going to live here, and it's actually delicious!

I don't think I told you, but when hubby was visiting we made haggis and mashed potatoes and it was actually good. Took a 4th year's advice and cooked it first, then baked it with a little butter (Paula Dean would have been proud).
 
Oh nooo! Not the haggis! :laugh: I guess I won't be able to avoid it for long. 😉
Thanks though! I'm glad you both like the blog. 😀
 
Hey ckd, have you joined the fb group? I'm sure we would appreciate your input. Packen has been answering a lot of questions. Btw, thanks Packen!
 
Oh nooo! Not the haggis! :laugh: I guess I won't be able to avoid it for long. 😉
Thanks though! I'm glad you both like the blog. 😀

I think a haggis night will have to be in order next year. I actually think we should have an SDN dinner some time at the beginning of next year. For the GEPs, it probably wont be until AB1 is over. I don't think I am personally coming back until the beginning of September (fingers crossed AHWAFS grades are good on Monday:xf::xf::xf:).

PS - I can add CKD
 
I would love an SDN dinner! This might not be a question any one person can answer, but how are the GEP 5 weeks? Is it a real adjustment academically? I'm a good student and I have a strong science background, but everyone I know in vet school talks about how much harder it is in vet school. Any insight? Thanks in advance!
And good luck on the AHWAFS grades!
 
Thanks, I am definitely stressed more about these grades than any else - only because I did not really study for them 🙁

The GEP year is not really about the 5 weeks, but more about the year. AB1 is mostly anatomy. AB2 immune system, parasites, viruses, bacteria, etc. AB3 is all body systems. AB4 is combining all that knowledge clinically.

AB1, which is basically taught in 5 weeks is almost all anatomy. The concepts are not hard to grasp. It is basically memorizing. I am not a good memorizer, so I had to do a lot of repetition. FWIW I flew home the beginning of review week to celebrate my anniversary with my hubby and came back on the Thurs before exams started (which was the next Tuesday). I could not have done that for AB2 or 3 or else I would have failed.
 
Good to know. I'm definitely worried about the adjustment. I'm coming from a quarter system. 10 week quarters which are really short and filled with a flurry of non-cumulative exams. Lol. I do very well in that environment and worry about being a big fish from a small pond getting dropped into some gargantuan lake. :scared: I'm academically competitive (not in a negative way towards others but I am really demanding of myself to always be better) and worry about struggling to only become average in vet school. Oh well. What happens happens, right? 😛

Again, good luck. I'm sure you'll do better than you expect. :luck::xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm finishing up my second year in Edinburgh and I have not yet had haggis.

The vet school is a pretty small community--even more so now that we are all out at Bush. While cumulative is pretty scary, it all builds on itself. And I constantly have to remind myself that this is pretty important information for my future career. Yes it's about passing exams but it's also about being a good future vet blahdeblahblah. So you have made it this far, you want to be a vet and therefore the information will be important to you! (Maybe not AB2, yuck). haha at least that's what i'm telling myself as I study everyday, all day. blahhh exam brain.
 
Thanks Finley. You're definitely right; this is not just about passing exams, but actually learning for our career. I'm sure it will turn out fine. I have my big dick vet brother/sisters from sdn to help me out! 😉
I guess you and I will both have to try Haggis at this SDN party, eh? ick! :laugh:
 
I guess you and I will both have to try Haggis at this SDN party, eh? ick! :laugh:


Mind over matter. Haggis really isn't all that bad. Sort of like a spicy meatball. And for the beginners, perhaps eating a fried haggis ball might be more appealing 🙂

Black Pudding on the other hand :barf:
 
I don't think I told you, but when hubby was visiting we made haggis and mashed potatoes and it was actually good. Took a 4th year's advice and cooked it first, then baked it with a little butter (Paula Dean would have been proud).

Well done!! I don't think I would ever be ambitious enough to make it myself, but maybe daddy Phil will teach me.

Hey ckd, have you joined the fb group? I'm sure we would appreciate your input. Packen has been answering a lot of questions. Btw, thanks Packen!

I have officially been added to the group! I will do my best to filter through some of the more recent posts to see if I have anything to add 🙂

I think a haggis night will have to be in order next year. I actually think we should have an SDN dinner some time at the beginning of next year. For the GEPs, it probably wont be until AB1 is over. I don't think I am personally coming back until the beginning of September (fingers crossed AHWAFS grades are good on Monday:xf::xf::xf:).

PS - I can add CKD

Excellent idea for the SDN dinner! I will probably be gone from mid-August to mid-September, but after then I am so in. Also, AHWAFS is gross... that is all.
 
A fried haggis ball does sound a bit more approachable. Black pudding? Do I even want to know?

The "black" part is spot on, but the "pudding" term is a complete LIE. Oh, when people talk about pudding here, it is referring to all desserts in general. Took me a while to figure that one out. But not to confuse you even more, black pudding is as far from a dessert as possible.
 
The "black" part is spot on, but the "pudding" term is a complete LIE. Oh, when people talk about pudding here, it is referring to all desserts in general. Took me a while to figure that one out. But not to confuse you even more, black pudding is as far from a dessert as possible.

It's a heart attack.
 
Not sure about trying all the different types of food.. I may just have to avoid them especially the black "pudding". :barf:

In other news, I have received my passport!!! Now I can start my visa application. 😀
 
Bought my plane ticket to Edinburgh!
tumblr_m3tch1jAHa1qmm9ym.gif
 
Not sure about trying all the different types of food.. I may just have to avoid them especially the black "pudding". :barf:

In other news, I have received my passport!!! Now I can start my visa application. 😀
Congrats on the passport! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received their CAS number yet? I was going to start filling out my visa application but I don't have the CAS number yet.

Yes, mine was sent in a message through the MyEd / EUCLID thing. I think quite a few people have received them, it may depend on when you made your deposit and if you have turned everything in
 
Yes, mine was sent in a message through the MyEd / EUCLID thing. I think quite a few people have received them, it may depend on when you made your deposit and if you have turned everything in

I just had a :idea: moment.

I just got my passport yesterday so I had not yet sent the school a copy of it. I emailed them a copy today. Hopefully I should be getting my CAS number soon. I am still a little worried about not having financial aid information to send in with the visa application but I think I will go ahead without it. Everything I have read so far states that you don't need it so hopefully that is correct.

I am going to try to purchase my plane ticket today...:xf:

Hoping to arrive in Edinburgh around July 20th so that I can have plenty of time to secure a place to live.

Who all is on the FB page? I am trying to do process of elimination and figure out who is/is not a SDNer but I am not very good at it.

I know who bkt is and I am sure I know who howister is but I am at a loss to who everyone else is....
 
Who all is on the FB page? I am trying to do process of elimination and figure out who is/is not a SDNer but I am not very good at it.

I know who bkt is and I am sure I know who howister is but I am at a loss to who everyone else is....

I should be pretty easy to figure out, I am a guy and the only one from psu 😀.

I have had my plane ticket for a few weeks, why are one way tickets so damn expensive😡 Check out this site http://www.hipmunk.com/ , I found the cheapest flights on here, its a really cool site.