Dick Vet 4 year vs 5 year

Started by robert90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I should be pretty easy to figure out, I am a guy and the only one from psu 😀.

I have had my plane ticket for a few weeks, why are one way tickets so damn expensive😡 Check out this site http://www.hipmunk.com/ , I found the cheapest flights on here, its a really cool site.

My plane ticket will only cost around $350...😀

My grandfather is transferring his frequent flier miles to me. 😍

ETA: I will try to find you sheeps.
 
I should be pretty easy to figure out, I am a guy and the only one from psu 😀.

I have had my plane ticket for a few weeks, why are one way tickets so damn expensive😡 Check out this site http://www.hipmunk.com/ , I found the cheapest flights on here, its a really cool site.

One ways...ouch. The cheapest airline i've found for one way is through Icelandic Air.

Be careful with flights that go through Dublin first. The UK can get cranky with your passport entry stamps the next time you fly if it the first time using your visa! 🙂

Oh and bus/train between Glasgow/Edinburgh airports are pretty easy, so I always try to look at both airports if i'm not going through Heathrow!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Packen!
DVMD, Yann is also in the group! You're paying $350?! Mine was $755 and I felt lucky to get that price! I need to get frequent flyer miles...

Sheepdog and DVMD, I sent you both a PM. 🙂
 
I really suggest finding an airline that you like and sticking with it, even if it is more expensive sometimes. That way you can rack up the frequent flier miles. After I go home this summer I will already have enough for a free flight.

Oh and just to repeat what SnS said, don't fly into Dublin and then Edinburgh. Apparently a few years ago a girl did that and had to be deported and fly back in.
 
Sure thing. It just sounded like some people won't be there until September or so? Whatever works best. I want to finally meet all the sdn folk! 🙂
 
Plane ticket purchased!!! 😀

I will be arriving in Edinburgh really late on July 18th! 😀😀

Nice!! That was the day I arrived here last year! I found you on Facebook by the way. Sent you a friend request 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How exciting DVMD!!!

I don't get back until mid September (with my pup!!!!). But we should plan on all getting together then too 😀
 
Yayyy! I'm not Edinburgh savvy, but I know Scottish tips and tricks, and have been over that way a fair few times if you all need help.

Once you guys get settled, you should think about seeing Glasgow when it's still summer and the days are long (and you aren't drunk running around for Dick Day and AVS, hehe). It really is a fun city, and sooo close!
 
I will be sure to check out glasgow. I am thinking about looking around london during my 7 hour layover there. Yes, my plane ride was only $300 but I have a 7 hour layover. It's worth it for the cheap flight.

I would like to travel through the uk while I am there since once school is over it will be a while before I can travel again. Maybe I will visit devyn in ireland, not sure though she may try to kill me. 😛
 
Yayyy! I'm not Edinburgh savvy, but I know Scottish tips and tricks, and have been over that way a fair few times if you all need help.

Once you guys get settled, you should think about seeing Glasgow when it's still summer and the days are long (and you aren't drunk running around for Dick Day and AVS, hehe). It really is a fun city, and sooo close!
I went there a couple months ago. My friend goes to Strathclyde and he showed me around. It's a short train or bus ride over and not expensive at all. We had top notch pub food and for a decent price at that. *drool
The shopping is better there I noticed. I spent a good part of a day in the botanical gardens (the big green house?) because I was so cold! I also walked into the science center without paying (I thought it was free!). There's definitely a lot to do there. 😉
 
I went there a couple months ago. My friend goes to Strathclyde and he showed me around. It's a short train or bus ride over and not expensive at all. We had top notch pub food and for a decent price at that. *drool
The shopping is better there I noticed. I spent a good part of a day in the botanical gardens (the big green house?) because I was so cold! I also walked into the science center without paying (I thought it was free!). There's definitely a lot to do there. 😉

Yes'm. We are known for our shopping. Buchanan and St. Enoch's are huge. If I recall we are on some top UK shopping list or something. Live right near the Botanics. They are lovely and warm. Was just laying out on the green today in the sunshine...I kid you not. Best nap ever.
 
I will be sure to check out glasgow. I am thinking about looking around london during my 7 hour layover there. Yes, my plane ride was only $300 but I have a 7 hour layover. It's worth it for the cheap flight.

I would like to travel through the uk while I am there since once school is over it will be a while before I can travel again. Maybe I will visit devyn in ireland, not sure though she may try to kill me. 😛

Ummm you better come visit me!!!!! 😀 I will only try to kill you through heavy drinking :laugh:
 
I just completed all of my loan information: signed all the mpnotes, submitted the PLUS loan application (I was approved 😀), and completed the rather lame loan entrance counseling (did this 6 years ago but I still had to do it again).

I should also (hopefully) be getting my damn private student loan into an in school forbearance here now. I hate Wells Fargo loan department I get a different story every single time I talk to them. Hopefully, this time things will actually work.

All that is left:

-Visa application
-Book hotel
-Get plans together for getting kitty cat over once I am settled. 😍

I am feeling quite accomplished and now I am in a procrastination mood and do not want to complete any of the above things. I will have to do them this weekend.

Can't wait to meet everyone in Edinburgh! 😀
 
I just completed all of my loan information: signed all the mpnotes, submitted the PLUS loan application (I was approved 😀), and completed the rather lame loan entrance counseling (did this 6 years ago but I still had to do it again).

I should also (hopefully) be getting my damn private student loan into an in school forbearance here now. I hate Wells Fargo loan department I get a different story every single time I talk to them. Hopefully, this time things will actually work.

All that is left:

-Visa application
-Book hotel
-Get plans together for getting kitty cat over once I am settled. 😍

I am feeling quite accomplished and now I am in a procrastination mood and do not want to complete any of the above things. I will have to do them this weekend.

Can't wait to meet everyone in Edinburgh! 😀


WOW!!!! Must be so exciting - SOOOOOO happy for you!!!!!!!

Did I send you those visa docs? My mind is mush lately. Can't wait till this last exam is over!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand. I have it; I have just been in a procratinating mood lately, but I got quite a bit accomplished today. 😀

I don't know if I told you, but I am bringing my dog over in Sept, and 99% sure I am doing it on my own. So hopefully I can be of assistance when you bring your cat over
 
I don't know if I told you, but I am bringing my dog over in Sept, and 99% sure I am doing it on my own. So hopefully I can be of assistance when you bring your cat over

Awesome!!! I am hoping to get her over at some point in August but it may end up being later. I really don't know yet because that is on my list of still to do.

Didn't you mention that you have a big dog? Are you going to need help once he/she lands in Scotland?
 
I brought my 80 pound dog over on my own. It's doable as long as you read up on requirements and do everything that you're suppose to do. They have to fly into London heathrow, London gatwick, or Manchester I believe. I flew my dog into gatwick (would recommend--it was very painless) and then had a man drive him up to Edinburgh from London. He has a pet transporting business in then uk. It was expensive but easier than driving him up myself. I think smaller animals can go on the plane once they land in gatwick and get checked through. But my dogs cage was too large for the plane from gatwick to Edinburgh :/.



Edit: doing some research for a friend and it looks like they have made some changes to approved routes! Edinburgh appears to be on the list!
http://www.defra.gov.uk/files/pets-air-routes.pdf
 
Last edited:
Hi, if there are any incoming GEPs who are planning on going straight in to private accommodation, I have a free room in my flat for next school year. It is in Morningside, right on the 15 bus route to school, less than a 20 minute ride. I would prefer a female roommate. The location is great--close to the bus stop, supermarkets, drugstores, etc. I just finished my GEP year. PM me if you want more info. 🙂
 
I need some advice regarding my Visa application. Any help is very appreciated.
1) I don't have my diploma yet and I moved away from my school so I don't have access to transcripts. I thought this wasn't important because being from the USA, we are considered low risk nationals. Am I wrong? Do we need to add these anyways?

2) I found turnaround times on the visa web site but I want to know if they are accurate. Would anyone be willing to share their turnaround time with me?

3) I have not yet received my loan letter in the mail from the school. I thought this document was also unnecessary since we are from the USA. Is this not true?

4) As it is, I can't get my application to the App center any sooner than Tuesday but I have a flight on July 11th that I can't change (without a $400+ fee which is more than half the cost of the ticket itself). If I have to wait for these other documents, it will get there even later. Should I send my app without them or wait for them? Also, should I pay for expediting services?

God damn I'm screwed...
 
I need some advice regarding my Visa application. Any help is very appreciated.
1) I don't have my diploma yet and I moved away from my school so I don't have access to transcripts. I thought this wasn't important because being from the USA, we are considered low risk nationals. Am I wrong? Do we need to add these anyways?

2) I found turnaround times on the visa web site but I want to know if they are accurate. Would anyone be willing to share their turnaround time with me?

3) I have not yet received my loan letter in the mail from the school. I thought this document was also unnecessary since we are from the USA. Is this not true?

4) As it is, I can't get my application to the App center any sooner than Tuesday but I have a flight on July 11th that I can't change (without a $400+ fee which is more than half the cost of the ticket itself). If I have to wait for these other documents, it will get there even later. Should I send my app without them or wait for them? Also, should I pay for expediting services?

God damn I'm screwed...

I think requirements must have changed for this year, so we may not be your best bet to get these answers. I definitely had to send in my diploma AND the loan letter. Some of my classmates sent official transcripts in lieu of the diploma. I don't remember seeing this "low risk nationals" exception anywhere during my application which is why I think things have changed. Once I submitted everything, I would say I had my visa in my hands within two weeks. I don't remember the exact dates for anything, but it was a really quick turnaround.
 
I really hope you're right about the changes because I don't know what else to do in my situation. :\ Thank you for getting back to me. 🙂
 
Hey BKT,

I only sent OFFICIAL transcripts in with my Visa app.

I don't know exact dates either 🙁 2 weeks sounds about right

The loan letter I had was from the school. Start harassing them to get you that letter ASAP. If they can email you a copy on Monday, it shouldn't be a problem.

DON'T send in your app without anything essential (not sure if the loan letter counts as essential). But if you do, that can delay your application process quite a bit.
 
Mailed out my visa application today. :xf: that everything goes well.

Has anyone received anything about supplies that we will need for school? I am wondering what books/other stuffs we will need. One of the doctors at work has mentioned buying one of my books for me. 😀
 
Mailed out my visa application today. :xf: that everything goes well.

Has anyone received anything about supplies that we will need for school? I am wondering what books/other stuffs we will need. One of the doctors at work has mentioned buying one of my books for me. 😀


👍



Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is the only book I ever bought 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mailed out my visa application today. :xf: that everything goes well.

Has anyone received anything about supplies that we will need for school? I am wondering what books/other stuffs we will need. One of the doctors at work has mentioned buying one of my books for me. 😀

Haven't received anything. I don't think we are required to get any textbooks, unless you want one for reference. We do have to buy a notes packet that is like 70 bucks

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/studying/joining/gepequipment
and
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/studying/joining/clothingandbooks
 
I sent my app in yesterday and it arrived this morning. I'm really nervous about it going through (I don't want to pay another $500 or lose the money I spent on my plane ticket!). Other than that, as exciting as buying all the supplies would be, I am not buying anything unless I need it and when I need it. I don't want to carry anything over that I don't have to ($$$)! Chances are, we can find first year books from previous students if we need them (which doesn't sound like it's the case...). That said, I look forward to going into Hewit's when I get there. It's on the Royal Mile, right? The Royal Mile reminded me a lot of Diagon Alley. 🙂