Did anyone blow their interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had 3 interviews... 2 went pretty well and 1 went badly. It really depended on the personality of the interviewer and how well it meshed with my own, as well as research interests, I actually found.

Well, obviously people who are wildly inappropriate have this happen. Doesn't sound like that was the case though...I assume you'd have mentioned it if your interview consisted mostly of you telling inappropriate stories about drug use/past psychopathology/sex/etc.

There are many reasons this could have happened so don't take it personally. Its possible something happened with your POI (lost funding, etc.) and decided not to take anyone. Its possible you WERE going to be put on the waitlist, but the first person who was offered admission accepted right off the bat. You could have done nothing wrong, and they really liked you, but they decided your interests were not a solid match for the program/lab.

Its a rough process, don't beat yourself up over this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? That's good to know!

I dunno, I felt I did badly, but maybe I didn't. Who knows.

I doubt you screwed up as badly as I did.
I almost cried during one of my interviews (I could literally feel the tears forming) when the interviewer said something really critical and unexpected about my current research. Needless to say, I was kind of in shock for the rest of the interview.

That being said, keep in mind there is the big white elephant in the room--the bad economy. Maybe in a normal year, they are able to extend offers to mostly everyone they interview, but not this year. I sure you did fine. I won't take it too personally.

I thought I totally blew the first of three interviews with faculty at one of the schools, but the other two were amazing. I suspect that there must have been a fight among the faculty or the first interviewer was trying to "test" me to see how I woud react because I was offered an admissions the day after all the interviews were done. I just don't think you can tell what is good or not good (maybe everyone else was even worse?)

I recently attended an interview. During the orientation, the clinical director told all of the interviewees that people who attend the interview process HARDLY EVER get declined acceptance(usually, when faculty vote, interviewees are extended an offer or are put on the alternate list). I remember thinking when he said that, "wow, people who get declined after the interview must be really bad"... I recently received an email informing me that they declined my application. What could I have done that was so wrong that they immediately declined my application? Has anyone had a similar experience/have any opinions/suggestions to offer?

It would be much appreciated!

Maybe the clinical director was trying to get you all to be comfortable when you actually interview with faculty or that you were on the alternate list but everyone accepted their offers so there was no need to have an alternate list.

I think it's a strange thing to be telling someone at the orientation - what an uncomfortable expectation that either needs to be met or really not very nice when they are not met.

FYI...some people are just rough interviewers. I remember my very first interview last year...current students actually warned me about the prof ahead of time because he comes across as so harsh, gives absolutely no feedback (not even a smile or a nod), just question after question after question, with each question picking apart your answer to the last one. I was so thankful I was warned ahead of time because had I not know that this is just what that prof is like, I would have been sure I totally bombed the whole thing (though even with the warning I did not have the most positive feelings coming out of that room! The last question was a big gut check). Somehow still got in :p

I had also heard that someone who interviewed with the same prof the day before me had NOT been warned about this guy and she came out of the interview in tears. This guy was just a very tough, very critical interviewer and, per current student report, he's like that with everyone he interviews. Anyway, just because an interview feels like it didn't go well doesn't always mean that you blew it. Some people are simply exceptionally challenging interviewers.

I definitely feel like I choked in a couple of my interviews and felt very unprepared. I am still waiting to hear back and keep ruminating about how the interview went!

I doubt you screwed up as badly as I did.
I almost cried during one of my interviews (I could literally feel the tears forming) when the interviewer said something really critical and unexpected about my current research. Needless to say, I was kind of in shock for the rest of the interview.

Sometimes I think, that everything happening has a purpose, and is for the better. :luck: For instance, I doubt that I would like to be to be accepted into a program (and be there for several years!) with a professor, who is clearly mean, and who made me cry and feel terrible during the interview. Individuals reflect attitudes of the faculty overall.

I am expecting a feedback from the program I really like. They had their last interview one week ago. My interview was almost 2 weeks ago, I am still waiting for a feedback....

I had 8 professors working in pairs who interviewed everyone individually. Plus 2 groups of students doing the same. I did good, but I could be prepared for my interview better. I wish I had some more time to rehearse and clarify some of my goals. I spent all my energy and lots of time on application materials in December-beginning of January 2009, but I didn't find time to sit down and concentrate the day before I had my interview in order to sort out my thoughts. I regret this, but this is life.

There were 45 interviewees for only 8 slots. If they will accept 8 candidates, the rest of 37 candidates will have to face rejection. I may be in this group too.

I think that everything happening at the interview and after it is absolutely very subjective, and all professors will maybe have their own reasons why to take someone and why to reject the other. It is like a lottery, and it would be impossible to control.

At the same time, I am sure that there will be people whom they will agree on 100% due to their outstanding performance: harmony between being focused on specific research, being open to other faculty research, confidence, flexibility, humor, communication skills, sincerity, and maybe humility. Usually they don't like those who are self-centered, and those who are very shy and undervalue themselves.

All the above requirements will differ from person to person. So, no one knows who's voice will be heard... :luck:

Last edited:
Don't you wish that they could narrow it down more from 50 applicants? It's depressing when you get there and find out that you still have less than a 25% chance of getting in!

From my experience, schools interview far more candidates that they can accept (~80 people for 10 spots). That means that even if you do fine at your interview, you my easily get rejected. I don't mean to sound negative, it's just what it is and with such bad odds I definitely wouldn't take the rejection personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you wish that they could narrow it down more from 50 applicants? It's depressing when you get there and find out that you still have less than a 25% chance of getting in!

I second that, especially since traveling is so expensive.

I suspect that each POIs already has a top candidate in mind and is just making sure they are not crazy. So maybe they should just interview that candidate and an alternative. That way the odds become more like 50%.

Geez, where are these places you guys interviewed at? I think the worst ratio I saw was 15 students for 7 spots. I'd have ben super ticked off if I went to an interview and found out they'd done such a bad job of narrowing people down. Especially since there were probably a few more phone interviews in addition to the people who showed up.

i WISH i had those odds. My first POI invited 5 people for one spot (and it might not even have funding, im not sure) The second POI invited 8 people for 1 or 2 spots. Both are serious stress-provoking and negative affect inductors.
Geez, where are these places you guys interviewed at? I think the worst ratio I saw was 15 students for 7 spots. I'd have ben super ticked off if I went to an interview and found out they'd done such a bad job of narrowing people down. Especially since there were probably a few more phone interviews in addition to the people who showed up.

I would LOVe those odds. One of my interviews had like 20 people for 8 spots and I was thrilled.

Cara Susanna, I wish they could...

It is annoying that I haven't heard from them. Do you think I should e-mail them? However, officially the director of the program told the applicants that they would be contacted in two weeks time after the last interview day. Two weeks will be over tomorrow.

Have you decided anything about Master's degree?

Not yet--I have one more school to hear back from, and they contact you if you're accepted tomorrow. It's actually my top choice, so here's hoping!

i had a dreaded question of 'what do you want to write your dissertation on?' i thought those questions were only supposed to scare us.. and would never ever be asked of me. Also, I am straight from undergrad and my POI started talking about how he/she didn't get into grad school the first time. I was like, oh great.. letting me down easy. thanks a lot. Hopefully she said that to all the students going straight from undergrad. Also a question: why do they ask you things they already know. I felt sort of uncomfortable/guilty about something that they asked me. I didn't have the EXACT research experience that pertained to what i wanted to do in grad school and one of the grad students interviewing me was like.. hmpph.. i see. I just feel like, don't they already know my qualifications (or lack there of apparently) before the interview? It just made me feel kind of stupid like she felt i didn't deserve to be there. They could have invited someone else if they really didn't want me there, you know?

Yeah, I got asked what I'd do my Masters thesis on. Fortunately, I had a few ideas floating around my head and the prof sounded interested.

Of course, they rejected me anyway.

i had a dreaded question of 'what do you want to write your dissertation on?' i thought those questions were only supposed to scare us.. and would never ever be asked of me. Also, I am straight from undergrad and my POI started talking about how he/she didn't get into grad school the first time. I was like, oh great.. letting me down easy. thanks a lot. Hopefully she said that to all the students going straight from undergrad. Also a question: why do they ask you things they already know. I felt sort of uncomfortable/guilty about something that they asked me. I didn't have the EXACT research experience that pertained to what i wanted to do in grad school and one of the grad students interviewing me was like.. hmpph.. i see. I just feel like, don't they already know my qualifications (or lack there of apparently) before the interview? It just made me feel kind of stupid like she felt i didn't deserve to be there. They could have invited someone else if they really didn't want me there, you know?

In theory, they have read your application and know everything you've said. In practice, at best your interviewer read your application right before you walked in. They just don't remember all your details.

And people who haven't done a lot of interviews (like grad students) are likely to not be very good at it, and either be too friendly or too formal, so affect is difficult to read with a novice interviewer.

And, for that matter, at least some of the people interviewing you were not involved in inviting you, so it's possible that some of them are either not interested in what you're doing or don't know anything about it.

In short, and it pains me to say this, but what you've described really doesn't say anything about your admission odds. At least to me.

i had a dreaded question of 'what do you want to write your dissertation on?'

That being said, that is one question you should have an answer to. For future reference. You're not going to be legally obligated to stick to it, but you should at least be able to describe a direction.

I just feel like, don't they already know my qualifications (or lack there of apparently) before the interview? It just made me feel kind of stupid like she felt i didn't deserve to be there. They could have invited someone else if they really didn't want me there, you know?

My interviewers told everyone that only a few professors read through the application materials, and the rest didn't know anything about the applicants. So we had to go through all of our past experience. Not through the GRE and GPA of course, but everything related to research experience, previous degree, and plans for the future. I also was surprised to find out that several professors sounded as if they didn't know anything about me as an applicant. But my program doesn't require applicant-POI immediate designation. You must interest several POIs to be in the program.

I had a general idea but I still thought it was still a pretty crappy question.
That being said, that is one question you should have an answer to. For future reference. You're not going to be legally obligated to stick to it, but you should at least be able to describe a direction.

The thing about the programs that interview a ton of people is what it probably means is that they end up making a lot more offers than the ones who don't, not because they have more spaces, but because more people turn them down and they go further down their waitlists. Indeed, among the schools I interviewed at, number of interviewees was correlated to some extent with number of total offers historically given (vs how many initial offers were accepted), and, as would make sense, there also seemed to be a relationship between school ranking and number of applicants interviewed. So I'm not sure how much better off you actually are in a smaller interview field in terms of likelihood of admission, since the eventual number of offers may be proportionate.

The thing about the programs that interview a ton of people is what it probably means is that they end up making a lot more offers than the ones who don't, not because they have more spaces, but because more people turn them down and they go further down their waitlists. Indeed, among the schools I interviewed at, number of interviewees was correlated to some extent with number of total offers historically given (vs how many initial offers were accepted), and, as would make sense, there also seemed to be a relationship between school ranking and number of applicants interviewed. So I'm not sure how much better off you actually are in a smaller interview field in terms of likelihood of admission, since the eventual number of offers may be proportionate.

This was not the case at my interviews... there were about 5-6 interviewees per spot. And looking at their past number of offers v. size of incoming class- only 1-2 people turn them down each year.

This was not the case at my interviews... there were about 5-6 interviewees per spot. And looking at their past number of offers v. size of incoming class- only 1-2 people turn them down each year.

Psychanxiety, what is the way to know how many people turn a program down per year?
Thanks in advance:)

Psychanxiety, what is the way to know how many people turn a program down per year?

Sometimes on a program's website it will list ""number of applicants offered admission" and "number matriculated". So if the first number is 15 and the second is 10, you know 5 people turned them down. But I haven't seen that on every website.

It's usually in the "student disclosure data" section along with the number of applicants, gre scores, and gpas.

Exactly, it's in the disclosure data on the website -- the number of offers, just as psykate09 and psychanxiety said.

But keep in mind that, just because they say they give out, on average, 10 offers for 5 spots, it does not mean that if you're 6th alternate you won't get a spot. In fact, the data does not usually count the withdrawals (people who are an alternate before you but withdraw b/c they've accepted an offer elsewhere). So therefore, if you're 6th alternate, but two people withdraw before you, you still have a good chance of getting an offer.

:)

Last edited:
to the OP:

just email the director and ask what happened. I did that after getting a rejection, and he told me, in a few very helpful paragraphs. my email was something like:

i'm dedicated to clin training and gradschool, blahblahblah, and it would be very helpful to know on what you based your decision, so taht i can better communicate my strenghts in future interviews/ or, so that both the department and myself can make effective decisions that in assessing a match bw the program and myself as a prospective student.

to the OP:

just email the director and ask what happened. I did that after getting a rejection, and he told me, in a few very helpful paragraphs. my email was something like:

i'm dedicated to clin training and gradschool, blahblahblah, and it would be very helpful to know on what you based your decision, so taht i can better communicate my strenghts in future interviews/ or, so that both the department and myself can make effective decisions that in assessing a match bw the program and myself as a prospective student.

I did that for one program I got rejected at. Before the interview, I read the abstracts to everything my POI had published since '02 and read 5 articles all the way through in depth. I also read their entire CV and website. Then I got told that one of the reasons I got rejected was because the other applicants knew more about this POI's research. :confused:

I did that for one program I got rejected at. Before the interview, I read the abstracts to everything my POI had published since '02 and read 5 articles all the way through in depth. I also read their entire CV and website. Then I got told that one of the reasons I got rejected was because the other applicants knew more about this POI's research. :confused:

I noticed during the interviews that most of the faculty had moved on in their research from what they had published or was listed on their description. All the research that I did at times seemed like a waste of time. They had moved on already. So I made sure that I had an idea of what their research was (like when they ask if you have a question - I would ask something like what are you currently working on even if they weren't my POI). That seemed to work. I also tried to gleen as much info from the grad students that worked for the POIs about what they were currently working on. That way it seemed as if I was both interested in their research as well as getting info on the POIs work.

psykate09, psychanxiety and rollomayfan,

Thank you for your replies :). Unfortunately this program doesn't post such data on its website. I have just checked...

I think the difference lies in not just memorizing or knowing what your POI's are doing but being able to input information that was not listed. For example, using the articles to actually come up with your own ideas for research, incorporating different models, suggesting new ways to use the data or to increase the validity of the research are what POI's seem to be looking for. At this point, they expect that you, like all of the other applicants, have read the articles. What they are looking for is what you think, how well you can generate ideas, and how authentic you are in being interested in the work- not just memorization. That's the key to standing out and not just looking like you want to get into any program, but appearing that you want to get into that program.

I e-mailed my POI early last September about an article and suggested severals ways to increase the validity and statistical significance of his findings. He remembered that and we discussed it during my interview- he stated that I was the first person to ever e-mail him about validity, and had even mentioned it to the rest of the faculty as well as his current graduate lab members. I got accepted two days later.

psykate09, psychanxiety and rollomayfan,

Thank you for your replies :). Unfortunately this program doesn't post such data on its website. I have just checked...

Is it an APA accredited program? If so, I believe they're required to post disclosure data.

Is it an APA accredited program? If so, I believe they're required to post disclosure data.

Yes, it is APA accredited. They do have disclosure data. But it only shows percentages of students who complete the program by number of years, attrition rates in %, number of students who were admitted (means they did accepted the slots, I think) into the Doctoral program along with their graduation rates, the number of students still enrolled vs. not enrolled. Nothing like "number of applicants offered admission" and "number matriculated".

Yes, it is APA accredited. They do have disclosure data. But it only shows percentages of students who complete the program by number of years, attrition rates in %, number of students who were admitted (means they did accepted the slots, I think) into the Doctoral program along with their graduation rates, the number of students still enrolled vs. not enrolled. Nothing like "number of applicants offered admission" and "number matriculated".

Really? That's strange.

Our school has "number of admission offers" (how many offers went out), and then "number of enrolled" (how many students in the incoming class) in the stats.

Incidentally, just FYI -- a great way to blow your interview is by blowing off faculty in the department. I just found this out from the dean of the department. Apparently, an applicant rather rudely ignored her when he found out she wasn't involved in the research they were interested in. She said "while I don't have a say in who gets offers, I do have a say in the funding."

So...be sure to talk to all faculty, and show a genuine interest! It may make a serious difference in the type of offer you eventually get too.

I suspect that each POIs already has a top candidate in mind and is just making sure they are not crazy. So maybe they should just interview that candidate and an alternative. That way the odds become more like 50%.

I'd say that's true 50% of the time or less. My POI never usually has a "top" person in mind come interview day. Rather, we invite a number of great-on-paper people & use the interview to judge the "non-specifics," as they're called in therapy. There's a lot you can tell about a person IN person...that you can't tell by reading an uber polished vita or personal statement. (Also, it's not just about weeding out some wacko; it's also about looking for confidence, maturity, social skills, etc.........)

I applied to both PhD and PsyD programs and had quite a few interviews, so I had begun to feel pretty confident with my interviewing style. I had even gotten immediate positive feedback after an interview at one school. But at this one program, I thought I really screwed up my interview. At one point, after responding to a question, I asked the Prof "Did that answer your question?" ... and she said NO! I was so uncomfortable as I scrambled to try to better answer the question the second time around.

Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, I got an offer there! Don't let a bad feeling after an interview ruffle your feathers too much. :thumbup:

2 weeks ago I had an interview with one of my top choice schools. Upon leaving the interview I was very happy, as I felt that it was pretty much flawless. On my way back to the holding room to get my coat and stuff and I notice that there is another girl sitting waiting for her interview to start. I said hello and she asked me if I had just finished up my interview. I told her yes, and with that we got to talking for a few minutes. She stated that she was not as prepared as she would have liked to be and wanted to know what the interview was like. Well, I was on cloud nine, thought I had just aced my interview, and just (seriously without thinking) proceeded to tell her what questions I was asked. Well, as I was dumping these questions on her, the professor interviewing us came in to get her and heard me telling her the questions.
I am kicking myself now, because I could have ruined my chances of getting in. :smuggrin:

2 weeks ago I had an interview with one of my top choice schools. Upon leaving the interview I was very happy, as I felt that it was pretty much flawless. On my way back to the holding room to get my coat and stuff and I notice that there is another girl sitting waiting for her interview to start. I said hello and she asked me if I had just finished up my interview. I told her yes, and with that we got to talking for a few minutes. She stated that she was not as prepared as she would have liked to be and wanted to know what the interview was like. Well, I was on cloud nine, thought I had just aced my interview, and just (seriously without thinking) proceeded to tell her what questions I was asked. Well, as I was dumping these questions on her, the professor interviewing us came in to get her and heard me telling her the questions.
I am kicking myself now, because I could have ruined my chances of getting in. :smuggrin:

To give you a more positive spin, maybe the professor thought "What a decent person to help that other person out, considering that she's competing to get into the same spot!" I mean, I think it was kind of sweet that you stepped up to give the girl a hand, so try not to worry too much. :)

Yeah... plus I think they know that everyone swaps questions. They may ask different ones for that reason.

Yeah... plus I think they know that everyone swaps questions. They may ask different ones for that reason.

Agree. Interview questions and answers always change. Another thing is to exchange standardized test answers and questions, compared to discussing free flow interview questions...

I would prefer to share my experience, I wouldn't like to hold my experience to myself being scared that someone might succeed on it. I believe that someone who has integrity would seek sharing it....:luck:

After mentioning my interest in working with LGBT youth, a professor asked if I thought my growing up with no father contributed to my being gay. I was a little confused, since I this was pretty far off topic. I kept thinking, "Is this the 1980's?" Oh, after I give my "opinon", he looks at me and says, "I don't find that to be a valid opinion." Pretty much beyond awkward.

After mentioning my interest in working with LGBT youth, a professor asked if I thought my growing up with no father contributed to my being gay. I was a little confused, since I this was pretty far off topic. I kept thinking, "Is this the 1980's?" Oh, after I give my "opinon", he looks at me and says, "I don't find that to be a valid opinion." Pretty much beyond awkward.

Wow. One must wonder how he got into a program when he interviewed. What an awful thing to say.