Did anyone here apply to IHS residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedgehog32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread title basically says it all. Did you apply for any of the IHS residency positions? Have you interviewed at a site in the past? I wonder how competitive it is to receive an interview invitation...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied and haven't heard anything back except that they will contact us the first week of January.

I applied and haven't heard anything back except that they will contact us the first week of January.

Just out of curiosity, do you mind if I ask how many sites you applied to and what region(s) you applied to programs in? Also, did the program directors at all the sites you applied to respond to the email you sent them containing the application materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Albuquerque and phoenix region and they all responded with email. Don't remember how many. Maybe like 6-8

I haven't gotten a reply from any of the programs I applied to. My friend got invite to Shiprock.

Last edited:
Correction they said early January. I haven't received anything since the confirmation emails in December.

I haven't gotten a reply from any of the programs I applied to. My friend got invite to Shiprock.
Did your friend by any chance have indian preference or an APPE rotation there?

I didn't get an email confirmation for all the ones I applied to. I am also curious about the interview process and how competitive it is.

I didn't get an email confirmation for all the ones I applied to. I am also curious about the interview process and how competitive it is.

I'm curious as well. I wonder when applicants who were selected to interview will hear from program directors. Just out of curiosity, did you mostly apply to sites in one region of the country?

I'm curious as well. I wonder when applicants who were selected to interview will hear from program directors. Just out of curiosity, did you mostly apply to sites in one region of the country?
Yes, I applied mostly in Arizona

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to IHS residencies only. I have had 2 interviews so far and I have 3 more scheduled.

I applied to IHS residencies only. I have had 2 interviews so far and I have 3 more scheduled.

Do you mind if I ask what sites you applied to? I applied to a handful of IHS sites myself but haven't heard back from any of them regarding an interview, so I'm guessing that's not a very good sign at this point.

Do you mind if I ask what sites you applied to? I applied to a handful of IHS sites myself but haven't heard back from any of them regarding an interview, so I'm guessing that's not a very good sign at this point.

I applied to Phoenix, AZ, Albuquerque, NM, Claremore, OK, Talihina, OK, and Cherokee NC. What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cherokee, NC, Yakima, WA, Santa Fe, NM, and Lawton, OK. Did you already hear back from the Cherokee site's RPD about an interview offer? If so, I'm assuming that means I wasn't selected to interview since I haven't heard back from them. I actually haven't heard back from any sites yet, so I'm guessing that's not a good sign.

Fort Defiance. I heard other places are still doing Indian Preference Interviews first

Fort Defiance. I heard other places are still doing Indian Preference Interviews first

Maybe so. I still haven't received any interview invitations. I'm trying to stay positive here but I have a feeling I probably just wasn't selected for an interview.

Might be but the bigger places are still doing IP. What are your stats/experiences like

The one I got the lady also said they were kinda behind but just remain hopeful. Did you do ASHP programs too?

The one I got the lady also said they were kinda behind but just remain hopeful. Did you do ASHP programs too?

Yeah I did. So far I've only gotten interview offers from 2 ASHP programs, and both of them have reputations for being really brutal on their residents in terms of schedule/assignments, so I'm not really feeling enthusiastic about either them.

In terms of stats: I have an above-average GPA, leadership experience serving as president of a campus organization for a year, and close to 2 years of inpatient hospital pharmacy intern work experience. I didn't have any research experience, unfortunately. Can I ask what your stats were?

Oh that sounds really good! In terms of IHS I did a rotation with them and had 3 of four references from corp officers. I have decent gpa 3.6, leadership since first year, research, and publications. Did you have any IHS experiences?

Oh that sounds really good! In terms of IHS I did a rotation with them and had 3 of four references from corp officers. I have decent gpa 3.6, leadership since first year, research, and publications. Did you have any IHS experiences?

No I didn't. That probably made my application less competitive as well. I think the lack of research experience and not having any previous affiliation with IHS sites (e.g., rotations, references, etc.) probably hurt my chances. Oh well, at least I didn't have to spend any money to apply. Can I ask if you applied to the Cherokee, Santa Fe, or Yakima sites? Just wondering if you've heard anything from them if so

Cherokee, NC, Yakima, WA, Santa Fe, NM, and Lawton, OK. Did you already hear back from the Cherokee site's RPD about an interview offer? If so, I'm assuming that means I wasn't selected to interview since I haven't heard back from them. I actually haven't heard back from any sites yet, so I'm guessing that's not a good sign.

Yes, I have an interview with them and I know that Lawton has scheduled interviews as well, but I am also IP. I was told selections for IP will be on 1/28

Yes, I have an interview with them and I know that Lawton has scheduled interviews as well, but I am also IP. I was told selections for IP will be on 1/28

Thanks. Do you know if Cherokee is currently only interviewing applicants with IP? Did any of the program directors of the sites you applied to mention if they were going to wait until after 1/28 to start the interview process for applicants who don't have IP?

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, which site is your number one choice?

Thanks. Do you know if Cherokee is currently only interviewing applicants with IP? Did any of the program directors of the sites you applied to mention if they were going to wait until after 1/28 to start the interview process for applicants who don't have IP?

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, which site is your number one choice?

I haven’t decided yet because I still have 2 interviews next week. None of them have mentioned that during the interviews, but one of them did say the match for IP would be done on the 28th. I think so sites have interviewed none IP candidates, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m sorry, I know that isn’t super helpful

I haven’t decided yet because I still have 2 interviews next week. None of them have mentioned that during the interviews, but one of them did say the match for IP would be done on the 28th. I think so sites have interviewed none IP candidates, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m sorry, I know that isn’t super helpful

No problem, thanks for the info. I was trying to get an idea of whether or not the reason I haven't heard back yet is because I simply wasn't selected for an interview at any of the sites I applied to, or if they're all still undergoing the process of interviewing IP-only candidates

I only applied to Santa Fe from that list you posted.

I know some current IHS residents who didn't have any IHS experiences so just keep waiting!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing what your interview experiences have been like? i.e. did you have a case to review and present and/or clinical questions?

Did your friend by any chance have indian preference or an APPE rotation there?
She has Indian preference. She didn't have an APPE rotation there. From what she told me, they interview IP candidates first. I spoke with a RPD at midyear and they are obligated to pick an IP candidate over anyone else.

Do you mind if I ask what your application stats look like?
my stats: 2 years of inpatient intern experience, 3 years of community pharm tech experience, 1 year of research with poster presentation at national and local pharmacy conferences, variety of outreach throughout pharmacy school, average GPA (3.4), held leadership positions at school organizations and professional pharmaceutical fraternity.

My friend who has IP status, has gotten interviews at every program she has applied for (total of 7 interviews). She said that IP candidates find out the ranking on the 28th. I'm thinking maybe after that, if the program still has a vacancy, then they will interview non-IP candidates?

my stats: 2 years of inpatient intern experience, 3 years of community pharm tech experience, 1 year of research with poster presentation at national and local pharmacy conferences, variety of outreach throughout pharmacy school, average GPA (3.4), held leadership positions at school organizations and professional pharmaceutical fraternity.

My friend who has IP status, has gotten interviews at every program she has applied for (total of 7 interviews). She said that IP candidates find out the ranking on the 28th. I'm thinking maybe after that, if the program still has a vacancy, then they will interview non-IP candidates?

Maybe so! I guess we'll find out soon. Your stats are way more competitive than mine, that's for sure (I have no research experience whatsoever). BTW, do you mind if I ask what your number one site you hope to match at is?

Maybe so! I guess we'll find out soon. Your stats are way more competitive than mine, that's for sure (I have no research experience whatsoever). BTW, do you mind if I ask what your number one site you hope to match at is?
I was really hoping for Warm Springs but I haven't heard anything from them except confirmation email.

I was really hoping for Warm Springs but I haven't heard anything from them except confirmation email.

At this point, I will take a spot at any site, LOL. It's too bad that most of the sites only take 1 resident per year.

I applied to Warm Springs, Cherokee NC, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Anchorage. Nothing but a confirmation email at this point. I graduated in 2019, 3.8 GPA, APhA President, PLS, 4 year hospital internship, 1 rotation at an urban indian center. No IP.

I applied to Warm Springs, Cherokee NC, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Anchorage. Nothing but a confirmation email at this point. I graduated in 2019, 3.8 GPA, APhA President, PLS, 4 year hospital internship, 1 rotation at an urban indian center. No IP.

I still haven't heard anything either. I understand that the application process was really competitive this year, so I'm not sure what to expect at this point.

I got another response from a NM program. They are still doing IP until the 28th so still have hope. They basically told me they are waiting for the IP match to see if they can interview me.

I got another response from a NM program. They are still doing IP until the 28th so still have hope. They basically told me they are waiting for the IP match to see if they can interview me.

Thanks for the update. Did you have your first interview yet? If so, how did it go? Any tricky questions?

Has anyone heard back? I applied to Alaska programs and was wondering they matched with an IP candidate.

I heard back from the RPDs at the Cherokee and Santa Fe sites. They both ended up choosing IP candidates.