Did anyone make similar mistakes on CS :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWHO007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm look back at all the mistakes I made. Put mostly 2 differentials, with 3 diagnostic tests, didn't know 2 diagnosis but used closed enough potentials for differentials. Did though physical exam but mostly 1 system max 2, did consult the pt if I saw something relevant to consult on. I did summarize and explained the next step to the patients and asked and answered their questions. I only draped the pt when I started the physical exam by fixing their gowns and only exposing the necessary parts when the pt self exposed too much. When they had a abdominal exam I just the sheet they had to drape them appropriately. I asked the patient a few side questions ( asked about the weather, about their job and stuff) to connect better. I'm just worried that I mostly had 2 differentials and didn't know the primary diagnosis in 2-3 cases but I think I had close differentials for them. I forgot to do a mini mental for a pt It would have been necessary based on the case. I did add mini mental exam for the diagnostic when I got to the note, but I know I won't get credit for it. In a neuro exam exam I basically combined it with ask , with strength and inspection, palpation and DTR for one case. Based on this how are my odds looking.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
I too took my step 2 cs on 22 June. And I don't know what I did there I was so flustered I just messed up everything I hope I pass and I hope the same for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost every case should've been addressed in First Aid, hope you used it. I think it will come down to how close you were to ddx they were looking for. In terms of physical, make sure a patient's modesty is always preserved, wash your hands, ask permission, explain your actions, and never examine through the gown.

On a side note. I had a patient with abdominal pain and buckled over. I didn't want to try unfolding them, so I put my stethoscope through the neck of their down to auscultate their chest (explaining what I was doing and why). Then they started screaming. I pulled back and asked if their abdominal pain was worsening. They said no, I pulled their chest hair as I slid my scope down. Thought I failed for sure, but passed.

Reactions: 2 users
Almost every case should've been addressed in First Aid, hope you used it. I think it will come down to how close you were to ddx they were looking for. In terms of physical, make sure a patient's modesty is always preserved, wash your hands, ask permission, explain your actions, and never examine through the gown.

On a side note. I had a patient with abdominal pain and buckled over. I didn't want to try unfolding them, so I put my stethoscope through the neck of their down to auscultate their chest (explaining what I was doing and why). Then they started screaming. I pulled back and asked if their abdominal pain was worsening. They said no, I pulled their chest hair as I slid my scope down. Thought I failed for sure, but passed.
Best source for level 2 PE is FA then?

...so I put my stethoscope through the neck of their down to auscultate their chest (explaining what I was doing and why). Then they started screaming. I pulled back and asked if their abdominal pain was worsening. They said no, I pulled their chest hair as I slid my scope...
I’m so glad I clicked on this thread. :laugh:

I took cs last year, I got 5 differentials wrong because I didn’t know anything about them, I pissed off one patient, I did not wash my hands for one case, I did not counseled for most cases, I passed with honors in 2 sections, you’ll be fine

I PASSED !!!
But for anyone reading this, the mistakes I made:

I forgot to mention vitals on EVERY SINGLE one of my notes. I completely freaked out on my first note, and only typed a few lines on HPI, physical and only one or two differentials, THAT IS IT (no diagnostic workup or supporting evidence). Completely forgot to do the diagnostic workup on another very easy case. Left one patient on a bad note...gave pt a bad diagnosis and left the room with pt almost in tears. Was almost always the last one to leave my room before all the other students. Only counseled on about half the cases. Did not introduce my role for every case I had, only said my name, shook hands and then started asking questions. Only listed 2 differentials for all the cases.

I was almost in tears when I left, I thought it would be a much easier experience. and yet I passed!

Reactions: 1 users