Did BAD on USMLE :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medInUSA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my score from Step 1 and i was shocked.

2 days before the actual exam I took an NBME (form 3) practice and got a 251

on the actual test i got 223 :(

does anyone else have such discrepancy?? everyone told me that NBME is predictive.

I expected at least the same score, this really really really sucks, I am going drinking tonight :(

Members don't see this ad.

and I got 34 on my MCAT, how could sich adiscrepancy happen,

seven weeks of my life gone for nothing to show for it :( :( :(

Sorry to hear. No idea why there would be such a discrepancy between your scores, but the real test is longer and more stressful than the NBME, so that may be why.

On the bright side, 223 isn't a bad score. Kick ass on your rotations and you'll be competitive in most specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)

does anyone else have such discrepancy?? everyone told me that NBME is predictive.

I expected at least the same score, this really really really sucks, I am going drinking tonight :(

This is why it says all over the NBME website that these tests are not meant to predict the outcome on the actual test. You just proved what they were saying. Honestly how well you do on these tests depends a lot on whether you get a set of questions that emphasizes your strengths versus one that emphasizes your weaknesses. (The tests aren't as well balanced as some would like you to believe).

NBME 3 may have had a lot of topics right in your wheelhouse while the real thing, not so much. Just bad luck.

I agree. If you get a test heavy on your weaknesses, you aren't going to do as well as one where you are tested on your strengths. Unfortunately, sometimes its just luck of the draw. How were your scores prior to that? did anything absurd happen during the exam? lose energy near the end? Maybe even doing so well on your NBME3 resulted in you being overly confident during the exam.

Even though you are disappointed in your score, i don't think 223 is as bad as your post suggests. It will make it a little harder to go for the competitive residencies that you want but with solid scores, step 2 still to come, clinical rotations, you still have a good shot

Hey you're still above the US average. A score >220 is rock solid. I'd be happy with that.

How'd you feel after the test? What did your other NBME's say? If you really feel that a mistake happened get a recheck to at least ease your mind. I heard of one person who's score imrpoved by 10 pts after a recheck, however, this was very much anecdotal so I'd take it w/a pound of salt.

A 223??? OH NO! :eek:

Youre life is over. Forget about practicing medicine, EVER. You clearly are not fit to be a doctor. Otherwise, why would you have passed a licensing exam and only scored above the national avg??

You should just drop out of medical school right now. Better yet, jump off a bridge. You obviously have nothing to live for anymore.

I heard of one person who's score imrpoved by 10 pts after a recheck, however, this was very much anecdotal so I'd take it w/a pound of salt.

I have no doubt that could occur back in the day of #2 pencils (with partially erased ovals etc), but exactly how is it going to change when the score is all computerized? It's not like anything happens with the scoring that allows for any human error to enter into the process anymore.

A 223??? OH NO! :eek:

Youre life is over. Forget about practicing medicine, EVER. You clearly are not fit to be a doctor. Otherwise, why would you have passed a licensing exam and only scored above the national avg??

You should just drop out of medical school right now. Better yet, jump off a bridge. You obviously have nothing to live for anymore.

C'mon man - you expect a score, work your ass off to get one, then get something 30 points lower you have a right to be furious. Everyone on here seems to think you shoudl be satisfied w/anything above 220 regardless of how hard you worked or what score you expected (read NBME's, questions, etc) to get. If I spent my life studying for an exam, and did just as well as others that spent 2 weeks, I'd be pissed. Actually, that kinda happened on a much smaller scale to me and I'm definitely dissappointed.

And to law2doc -I totally agree. Except I cant imagine why they'd still have a recheck option if mistakes didnt happen somewhere, maybe along the scaling process, or something else - I cant imagine the recheck would exist solely as a relic to take our money. That's toooo messed up, even for them.

C'mon man - you expect a score, work your ass off to get one, then get something 30 points lower you have a right to be furious. Everyone on here seems to think you shoudl be satisfied w/anything above 220 regardless of how hard you worked or what score you expected (read NBME's, questions, etc) to get. If I spent my life studying for an exam, and did just as well as others that spent 2 weeks, I'd be pissed. Actually, that kinda happened on a much smaller scale to me and I'm definitely dissappointed.

When I saw the title of this thread, I expected to see that he either failed, or just barely passed. Then I find out that he did above the national average and my BS detector went off. I figured this guy was either a troll or an overachiever who needs to get a life.

Seriously, there are people who FAIL this test every year. What message does it send out when someone with a 223 says they did 'bad'? Do you know how many people would kill for a score like that? He did better than at least half the country, and still has good standing for many specialties.

Then again, if he is someone who does read this forum often, I could potentially see where he's coming from, given that only the people who do VERY well end up posting their scores. It really skews the view people have on how they should be doing. OP, if you were in fact being serious, then I say be happy with your score. You worked as hard as you could and you really could not have asked more of yourself going into this. Youre still in a good position for many things. I realize I was very sarcastic with my initial response, but I hate it when poeple who do reasonably well go on about how 'bad' their score is.

Lots of people would love to have your 223. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
i sense the pain and disappointment... but i wouldn't stress over it too much... actually i think that's it good that you posted because most other ppl don't share their disappointment. goes to warn others who are in the same situation to not get overly cocky before the test. it's always good to underestimate your performance, than vice versa.

Alcohol is not the answer. Well, maybe in this case, it is. We all know that the SEM (standard error of the mean) on the real test is 6 points, and that is the real test. So, we know that the NBMEs have an even larger SEM, and that some people are going to have a bad outcome despite adequate preparation. But, give yourself a break. Like the others said, you did well. And it is just one test. Prove yourself on other fronts.

don't fret. I'm sure you are upset, but your score is not going to ruin your dreams.

also shouldn't the title say "did badly" not bad?

I think everyone reading this forum would be disappointed if they scored 30 points less than what they expected, even if that score is a good one. I would request a rescore, although it's very unlikely to bear fruit. At least you'll know for sure that the score was real.

I also think there might be some truth to the argument that the test banks are extracting material directly from the NBME tests, which compromises their prognostic value.

The lesson for those who haven't taken the test yet is that when you make mistakes in a particular subject, don't just learn the fact you got wrong, but spend some time reading about related subjects that you are likely to also have forgotten.

i feel your pain, got a 223 on the real deal after getting a 242 on the NBME 2 more then a week prior to test day.
You know the Monty Python song, so just sing "Always look on the bright side of life..."

feel like I should add to this thread. Scored a 240 on form 3 five days before the test, really expecting to get a 230 going into the real test, then scored 219. I really didn't expect a 230 after the test, bc I had a crappier test experience than I was hoping, but was quite disappointed [to say the least]. but, it happens, and it's nice to know that you're not the only one ... and, like someone said before, there are quite a few 180's, and many of them scored 210 on practice tests, only to fail the real deal. So ...look to the future - kick the **** out of Step 2. I am going for 250. :)

Thank you for your responses everyone I really appreciate you input and your motivation.

Please do not be offended I do not mean to say that 223 is bad, its just much much less than I myself expected :(

I have thought alot about what i did wrong and want to share it so that others dont repeat the mistakes.

DO NOT STUDY the day b/f the exam and on the day of the exam!!!!!!

that was my biggest mistake. I was extremely nervous the day of the exam and studied right until bedtime the night before. I was so nervous that I woke up much earlier than my alarm went off and I actually studied for 1 and a half hours in the morning right before the exam !!!!!!!!!!!! BIG MISTAKE.

During the exam I felt extremely nervous. Towards the end my energy lever ran very low and I was extremely tired... The last two sections finishing the exam (its almost over ...) was on my mind alot and detracted from the actual questions.

That is the reason why I feel so devastated, I had no life for seven weeks !!! I did not do anything but study. I did not even check my mail or pay my credit card bills accumulating fines. I did not go out, did not watch tv or relax. I couldn't sleep without the help of medication for the month b;f the exam. And now to find out that all that work was for a score just slightly above the national average. this is the reason I am so upset

again I appreciate your help and condolenses and input sdn'ers

does anyone know is it possible to take the step 1 twice?? I realy think that if i retook it I can score much closer to my practice test.

I think everyone reading this forum would be disappointed if they scored 30 points less than what they expected, even if that score is a good one. I would request a rescore, although it's very unlikely to bear fruit. At least you'll know for sure that the score was real.

I also think there might be some truth to the argument that the test banks are extracting material directly from the NBME tests, which compromises their prognostic value.

The lesson for those who haven't taken the test yet is that when you make mistakes in a particular subject, don't just learn the fact you got wrong, but spend some time reading about related subjects that you are likely to also have forgotten.
everyone i have talked to (anecdotal) scored a few points higher than their nbme. i think the few cases where they do not correlate are either attribute to nerves or the person did not take the nbme under the same testing conditions.

Thank you for your responses everyone I really appreciate you input and your motivation.

Please do not be offended I do not mean to say that 223 is bad, its just much much less than I myself expected :(

I have thought alot about what i did wrong and want to share it so that others dont repeat the mistakes.

that was my biggest mistake. I was extremely nervous the day of the exam and studied right until bedtime the night before. I was so nervous that I woke up much earlier than my alarm went off and I actually studied for 1 and a half hours in the morning right before the exam !!!!!!!!!!!! BIG MISTAKE.

During the exam I felt extremely nervous. Towards the end my energy lever ran very low and I was extremely tired... The last two sections finishing the exam (its almost over ...) was on my mind alot and detracted from the actual questions.

That is the reason why I feel so devastated, I had no life for seven weeks !!! I did not do anything but study. I did not even check my mail or pay my credit card bills accumulating fines. I did not go out, did not watch tv or relax. I couldn't sleep without the help of medication for the month b;f the exam. And now to find out that all that work was for a score just slightly above the national average. this is the reason I am so upset

again I appreciate your help and condolenses and input sdn'ers

does anyone know is it possible to take the step 1 twice?? I realy think that if i retook it I can score much closer to my practice test.

Unfortunately, you can't take it again.

I think this post clarifies what happened (for future test takers) very well.

My NMBE 3 exam was predicting me at a 239 and i got the same score as you so i think that these exams have a range they predict. All in all i was wanting a 239 but hey thats life.

And to law2doc -I totally agree. Except I cant imagine why they'd still have a recheck option if mistakes didnt happen somewhere, maybe along the scaling process, or something else - I cant imagine the recheck would exist solely as a relic to take our money. That's toooo messed up, even for them.

i agree with roy here. if you busted your ass off and submitted yourself to step1 torture, you deserve to do well. its ok for him to be upset. scores are all relative. i know I would be really pissed if i didn't hit my goal since i basically sold my life away for this freaking test.

I will ask for a recheck...

my two digit score was 93 does that sound right??? a 93 with a 223? could it be a mistake???

my two digit score was 93 does that sound right??? a 93 with a 223? could it be a mistake???

That is what mine said too i think that is where they set a 93 this year.

Did you take any other NBME's? If you scored 250 on all four consistently then I would suspect error in grading. However, if you only did one then it could very well have been a fluke.

Did you take any other NBME's? If you were scored 250 on all four consistently then I would suspect error in grading. However, if you only did one then it could very well have been a fluke.
Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. I made the same mistake---taking only one NBME--and I was fine with scoring not too far above the mean. Then when I took the real exam, I came out 40 points lower and with a failing score. I paid to have it rescored, but it seems they just sent me a letter saying that the score I received was in fact correct. It sucks, but it is true. You should be disappointed, but it could have been worse. Stay focused and work to do well on Step 2.

I wud kill for 223. I just got 213 :(
I am an IMg, look I am still happy.....my chances are worse than yours

I got embryo and Molecular heavy paper, which i didnt prepare well

The fact that you did not know whether you can retake the test and how the 2 digit score works worries me. Those are the kind of things you should know well before you walk into an exam like this. Especially the whether you can retake part.

Man, that is just SO awful!! You might as well just slit your wrists now because I'm sure NO self respecting plastics, ortho, derm, surgery, or radiology program will EVER take you with those scores. If you are lucky, you MIGHT be able to convince a lower tier primary care program (forget any upper tier programs) to take you. Good luck. I'm sure everyone in this forum is mourning for you.

Seriously people, get over yourselves. There are probably about 5% of your classmates who would just be happy to have PASSED and people are whining about above average scores!!! Puh-lease!:rolleyes:

We all can be hard on ourselves at times but its not worse thing that can happen. You need to put it all in perspective. I heard of someone whose computer shut off and had to retake the whole thing again. And NO the test center didn't let the person take it the next day this person had to wait weeks later to take it. I'm not trying to freak anyone out right now it was one of those random events I am sure.

that was my biggest mistake. I was extremely nervous the day of the exam and studied right until bedtime the night before. I was so nervous that I woke up much earlier than my alarm went off and I actually studied for 1 and a half hours in the morning right before the exam !!!!!!!!!!!! BIG MISTAKE.......

You said it. You can't stop living for seven weeks; this will be counter- productive. You are not mentally or emotionally well prepared if you can't sleep without medication or cannot carry out your simple, normal daily routines. How long does it take to pay your credit cards???!!!! This shows an inability to have a balanced view as to where these exams fit into into your life as a whole. How do you think you can study effectively for seven weeks non-stop if you have not gone out or relaxed? Ill-thought out martydom will not get you a good score. Studying is as much about techinque as exam-taking itself.

However, fortunately, you still have an above average score, so you have nothing to worry about. I am surprised you did as well as you did when you studied so ineffeciently. Now you will hopefully sit the rest of your boards and further post-grad exams with a very different mindset and technique. And it's a good lesson to others: don't think that you are somehow super-human and can become a machine for a few weeks. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ANYONE. It never has done and never will.

Best of luck. Don't be down. Learn the lesson and accept that you did something wrong. This will be a valuable lesson as you progress through doctordom.

Seriously people, get over yourselves. There are probably about 5% of your classmates who would just be happy to have PASSED and people are whining about above average scores!!! Puh-lease!:rolleyes:
Well, these are likely different groups of people. Say, for an exam, one guy barely glances at the reading and barely passes the test. Some other guy reads the syllabus 6 times, reads and takes notes over all the required and optional reading, and knows the materials backwards and forwards...if he were to only barely pass, he would have the right to be disappointed.

It's totally fine that some people just want to pass step 1-- this is sufficient for many residency positions. But that doesn't mean that one person's goal to just pass should supercede anyone else's goal to do much better.

Well, these are likely different groups of people. Say, for an exam, one guy barely glances at the reading and barely passes the test. Some other guy reads the syllabus 6 times, reads and takes notes over all the required and optional reading, and knows the materials backwards and forwards...if he were to only barely pass, he would have the right to be disappointed.

I think you are deluding yourself into thinking people divide up nicely into these categories. For the most part everybody works hard for this exam -- you will more often find two groups of people. One group that "reads the syllabus 6 times, reads and takes notes...", and then actually does well, and another group that does basically the exact same approach, but it is less effective for them, and they barely pass or fail. In my experience the only people who are barely glancing over the reading are the ones who already know it all and generally do great. The people I've met who struggle in med school and on exams do not do so for lack of effort. I suspect it is the rare individual who fails this test or barely passes due to lack of time logged.

I've yet to meet anyone who didn't study because they "just wanted to pass". Lots of people will tell themselves and others that, so as not to freak, but they still study.

I think you are deluding yourself into thinking people divide up nicely into these categories. For the most part everybody works hard for this exam -- you will more often find two groups of people. One group that "reads the syllabus 6 times, reads and takes notes...", and then actually does well, and another group that does basically the exact same approach, but it is less effective for them, and they barely pass or fail. In my experience the only people who are barely glancing over the reading are the ones who already know it all and generally do great. The people I've met who struggle in med school and on exams do not do so for lack of effort. I suspect it is the rare individual who fails this test or barely passes due to lack of time logged.

I've yet to meet anyone who didn't study because they "just wanted to pass". Lots of people will tell themselves and others that, so as not to freak, but they still study.

well I have a close friend (2 years ahead of me) who put off studying for the exam until the day before, took it, and scored in lower 200s. He only wanted pass and planned on doing family medicine (which he is doing). It is the same study approach he did for the first 2 years. I know he isn't lying because he lived close and I saw him almost every one of the days that he should have been studying (and I wasn't in med school yet, so I had nothing going on as well). I suspect if I know someone like this that there has to be others like that... I, on the other hand, studied a lot everyday for 4 weeks...

I would add that step 1 is a measure of what is taught in medical school, and that the way medicine is taught is designed for what I like to call the "professional student" ,i.e., someone who is 22-24 who has been in school their whole life and never really done much in the "real world" (I realize that I am generalizing here).

I don't know if anyone has done the study, but I would suspect the mean scores on step 1 for "non-traditional" students (i.e., > 30 y/o or >5 years since completion of undergrad) is significantly lower than the mean score of a "professional student."

I don't know if anyone has done the study, but I would suspect the mean scores on step 1 for "non-traditional" students (i.e., > 30 y/o or >5 years since completion of undergrad) is significantly lower than the mean score of a "professional student."
What a bunch of nonsensical poop! What kind of extra-strength Caribbean ganja are you smoking? By definition, there are WAY fewer true non-traditional students in medical school. This is a biased sample, and cannot be fairly compared to the 'gereric' med student, if I may be so crass. People are people; age and experience in the working world do not cause an automatic predestination to low exams scores - just as going straight from undergraduate to medical school is not an automatic ticket to fairing well in med school exams.

I would add that step 1 is a measure of what is taught in medical school, and that the way medicine is taught is designed for what I like to call the "professional student" ,i.e., someone who is 22-24 who has been in school their whole life and never really done much in the "real world" (I realize that I am generalizing here).

This may be the most ill conceived statement made on SDN in a long time.

Well I can't think of a better way to be voted Mr. Popular than posting this comment. I think that the flaming material coming out of the butt on your Avatar has somehow become more symbolic.

I had 94 with a 225. I spoke to some attendings and administrators at my school and they indicated that it could have been a particularly bad/difficult test. I know I felt like mine was- with 15 CT scans of the brain alone.

I had 94 with a 225. I spoke to some attendings and administrators at my school and they indicated that it could have been a particularly bad/difficult test. I know I felt like mine was- with 15 CT scans of the brain alone.

no one knows what that two digit score means. i doubt it has anything to do with the difficulty of the test.

not helping your cause for the study

It was just a hypothesis, which, I realize could be very wrong. There are many reasons why a non-traditional student might score worse (or better) on a USMLE exam. All I did was propose the hypothesis that the test favors traditional students. Why some folks seem to take that question so very personally could be the subject of another paper in a psych journal....