Did Horrible on the MCAT. Should I withdraw application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HriRish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Mods please delete this thread. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are your stats? It's getting pretty late in this cycle

I think maybe call a school you don't really care about on your list and ask what the protocol is in this kind of situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
first, take a deep breath. if you're intent on becoming a doctor, it will happen.

secondly, what'd you score? many schools look at an applicant holistically; however, i don't think anyone can give you advice unless you elaborate more on what you bring to the table as an applicant (gpa, ec, extenuating circumstances, etc.).

If the score is below the 10th percentile of the schools you're applying to, it would be best to withdraw.

My application has already been processed- what should I do now?

Last edited:
Theres no need to formally withdraw, if you haven't done any secondaries you aren't considered complete anyways, so you shouldn't technically be a re-applicant for next year. I wouldn't worry about that part. As for your score, are we talking below 20? below 30? If your a little below a school's average you'll still have a shot.

My application has already been processed- what should I do now? The withdraw button is not even available? This is scary.
At this point you need to contact every school saying you want to withdraw. When you apply next cycle, you will be considered a re-applicant.

Theres no need to formally withdraw, if you haven't done any secondaries you aren't considered complete anyways, so you shouldn't technically be a re-applicant for next year. I wouldn't worry about that part. As for your score, are we talking below 20? below 30? If your a little below a school's average you'll still have a shot.
Yes, under AMCAS rules you will be a re-applicant.

At this point you need to contact every school saying you want to withdraw. When you apply next cycle, you will be considered a re-applicant.

Thanks. But will I be considered a reapplicant just to the schools I submitted a secondary to, or to all schools, period?

Also, what is the general policy schools have on MCAT retakes? Do they take the best/latest score usually? Thanks.

Are you sure? It wouldn't make sense because if you don't submit a secondary you have absolutely no chance of acceptance. Some schools may interview you before you submit the secondary but those are few and far between. OP would have to be really competitive for that to happen anyways. Whether you call the school or not, it won't change re-applicant status. Of course take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I'm just one opinion, OP. This is just what I would do. I applied to certain schools like 4 years ago but never submitted the secondary. When I re-applied I didn't say I was a re-applicant, its not a big deal.

Last edited:
But how did you withdraw the application after it was processed? And did the schools that you re-applied to get your MCAT score before you withdrew? Thanks!

Are you sure? It wouldn't make sense because if you don't submit a secondary you have absolutely no chance of acceptance. Some schools may interview you before you submit the secondary but those are few and far between. OP would have to be really competitive for that to happen anyways. Whether you call the school or not, it won't change re-applicant status. Of course take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I'm just one opinion, OP. This is just what I would do. I applied to certain schools like 4 years ago but never submitted the secondary. When I re-applied I didn't say I was a re-applicant, its not a big deal.
Check out page 66 of the 2014 AMCAS Instruction Manual.

But how did you withdraw the application after it was processed? And did the schools that you re-applied to get your MCAT score before you withdrew? Thanks!
All MCAT scores are visible forever to schools to which you have applied..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm absolutely sure. Those schools you didn't mention you were a re-applicant probably didn't bother to check, but you did not follow the rules as you should have.

You have to e-mail every school you applied to directly to ask to be withdrawn. This process is not necessary. Many people simply don't submit their secondary. Schools will see all your MCAT scores, re-applicant or not.

When I re-applied I didn't say I was a re-applicant, its not a big deal.

I would not recommend this. We can tell by your AMCAS ID how long ago you first applied. Our system also shows previous applications to our school. Failure to disclose shows a veracity problem or a lack of attention to detail.

I would not recommend this. We can tell by your AMCAS ID how long ago you first applied. Our system also shows previous applications to our school. Failure to disclose shows a veracity problem or a lack of attention to detail.

It is also foolish. There is almost always a prompt asking re-applicants how they have improved their application since their prior cycle. It is an extra opportunity to sell yourself and reassure them that you have remedied a problem or proven yourself in an area concerning for weakness, etc. If you lie, not only do you call the integrity of your application into question, you lose this potentially valuable opportunity for clarification/highlighting your strengths.

It is also foolish. There is almost always a prompt asking re-applicants how they have improved their application since their prior cycle. It is an extra opportunity to sell yourself and reassure them that you have remedied a problem or proven yourself in an area concerning for weakness, etc. If you lie, not only do you call the integrity of your application into question, you lose this potentially valuable opportunity for clarification/highlighting your strengths.

So true.

OP only asked about withdrawing his ap and mitigation of damage, not about the strength of the application.

IMO The title of the thread implies a decision to be made based upon an MCAT score. Giving logical advice on the question, "Should I withdraw" requires more background. The term "horrible" is also subjective.

Ok, I see your point. The last time I applied I submitted some secondaries and not others. The ones that I was fully complete at then, I designated this time around that I was a re-applicant, the others I didn't. I just don't think it makes sense to call yourself a re-applant to a particular school when you never fully applied.

Like someone else said, in my case because my re-applicant status was such a huge part of my story, and it was a big part of my supplemental apps to all schools, so its not like they didn't know I was re-applying. Of course I used that to talk about how I have grown and changed and had new experiences, anyone would.

done........

Last edited: