Did I completely screw myself up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennylee258

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am new here, but let's be friends and help each other.

I am a Canadian student, good medical school, have a 248 on step I, but rushed into step II with a 217. shame on myself. How bad will this step II hurt me? I am aiming at NYC good programs.

I have a PhD but no research in medical school, good clerkship evaulations.

Any info is appreciated!

Jenny

Members don't see this ad.

Jennylee258 said:
Dear all,

I am a Canadian student, good medical school, have a 248 on step I, but rushed into step II with a 217. shame on myself. How bad will this step II hurt me? I am aiming at NYC good programs.

Any info is appreciated!

Jenny

Jenny, with a PhD and those scores, just pick your program. Relax, apply, you'll do FINE.

Question is, with you posting this to the IM, rad onc, and anesthesiology boards, which specialty are you really interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSouthwestern said:
Jenny, with a PhD and those scores, just pick your program. Relax, apply, you'll do FINE.

Question is, with you posting this to the IM, rad onc, and anesthesiology boards, which specialty are you really interested in?

Busted!

Hey, UTSouthwestern,

you are so sharp :) . Truth is I am interested in all and can see myself equally happy with any of them. that is also one of the problem, Am I shooting too broad?

jenny

Jennylee258 said:
Hey, UTSouthwestern,

you are so sharp :) . Truth is I am interested in all and can see myself equally happy with any of them. that is also one of the problem, Am I shooting too broad?

jenny

Not really. I had the same three fields in my mind when I was finishing med school. You really do need to come down to at least two fields that you are strongly interested in before you apply. Applying to three different fields will just waste your time and money on the interview trail.

It's also better to have a sense of what you will be going into as opposed to ranking 3 different specialties and waiting for fate to pull your name out of the hat. You may not be happy with what you get.

Your scores are fine for any of the fields you are applying for. Just be decisive about choosing which one you are truly interested in.

Jennylee258 said:
Dear all,

Any info is appreciated!

Jenny

If you dont stand a chance, everybody else is in trouble. ;)

UTSouthwestern said:

Busted LOL, omg gas poser.....

Just joking, a little less than a year ago I thought i wanted to do GI. :D What the hell was I thinking.

Luckily I can find the same satisfaction working a bronchoscope as a opposed the "black snake", plus it only goes up and down. Left to Right is a killer.

As far as your scores, yes please apply to NY and nowhere near the midwest, or mountain area. thanks :)

You really should narrow it down. Especially since you might have to go for transitional or prelim interviews. Interviewing for 4 things would be horrible. I guess with your scores and phd you could expect to match after going on just a few interviews in each specialty though.

jenny this might affect your situation: did you go to medical school in canada? or are you canadian but went to med school in the states (i.e. possible visa situation?), or are you of canadian nationality but went to another foreign medical school? i think the answers to these questions may really be important

hey foodcoma,

I am a Canadian and go to a medical school in Canada. This means I need a J-1 visa. Anyone in similar situation?

This also means it is more difficult for me to get in than American grads. That is one of the reasons i am thinking of back off a bit on rad onco. It is so competitive. I may not be disqualified right away, but eventually I may not be able to get into a decent program. what do you think?

Jenny

foodcoma said:
jenny this might affect your situation: did you go to medical school in canada? or are you canadian but went to med school in the states (i.e. possible visa situation?), or are you of canadian nationality but went to another foreign medical school? i think the answers to these questions may really be important

Nolagas,

I am not that confident though. I need a J-1 visa. I may have to to go to a lower tier of specialty or program. To narrow it down means giving up on the most competitive one, say rad onco...
Only a few days left and I really need to make up my mind…

Jenny

nolagas said:
You really should narrow it down. Especially since you might have to go for transitional or prelim interviews. Interviewing for 4 things would be horrible. I guess with your scores and phd you could expect to match after going on just a few interviews in each specialty though.