Looking myself in the mirror now - a regretful resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time to come clean about your trolling, but knowing there are people out there like this (or if you are legit)
Anesthesia was my only hope. It was this or like IM. I failed to match neurosurgery. I should be happy and grateful to God. I truly was. Now that reality is hitting and the $ is showing it’s true light, I’m regretful. Regretful that I am essentially a glorified nurse making double a nurse’s salary and half a surgeon’s. What have I become? Where did my life go wrong?
Don't put your faith/hope/happiness in people, money, others or a job.
Now I get pressured by neurosurgeons to get the a line in 5 seconds so we can pin. The crna comes in and changes my vent settings and decreases my flow rate because she knows more about renal toxicity than I. I will never have the 4 million dollar house, the fancy vacations, or anything my brother and his wife (also neurosurgery) will have. My only hope for happiness may have been pain but my ITE scores sucked so I never tried. I will be a poor, noctor my whole life working at the whim of orthos and neurosurgeons making 2-3x as much as I do.
Look at the above references, how you look at people, how you look down at those without all those things and how you show your level of entitlement. I am guessing that is why people are trolling you in the OR. You obviously are exuding arrogance and superiority based on titles, money, etc. People are going to take a shot at you every chance they get if you act like this. They are trolling you like I assumed you were doing on the thread.

Be the person who is positive, willing to help out anyone and tries to solve any problem that arises. No one will give you crap. And if someone does, others will take up for you. And you will be much more happy.

(I hate myself for even replying)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
My only hope for happiness may have been pain but my ITE scores sucked so I never tried. I will be a poor, noctor my whole life working at the whim of orthos and neurosurgeons making 2-3x as much as I do.
You've come to the right place for advice. Maybe try hookers and blow?

Happiness is just chemical reactions in your brain. You would know this if you weren't so ****ty at taking tests.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a surgeon, I experience the opposite of this every day. Every day I drive home to my fiance (who is also a surgeon, haha) in a 2021 Ferrari laughing at the pathetic anesthesiologists who will never know such joy.

• Haha
Reactions: 29 users
You obviously will only be happy with more money than anyone else in your life. So go become an international arms dealer. That's about the only way I see it working out for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Also knows **** all about "renal toxicity"
I was worried no one else picked up on this. 2 things wrong with this post. 1) No CRNA I've ever known has run sevo at less than 2L/min, and B) somewhere a supposed anesthesia resident thinks running low-flow sevo is going to cause renal toxicity???

Enjoy your slummy $380K/yr. Maybe you can buy some lottery tickets or go to Vegas or put it all in crypto. I hear SHIB still has a ways to run!

Reactions: 2 users
I was worried no one else picked up on this. 2 things wrong with this post. 1) No CRNA I've ever known has run sevo at less than 2L/min, and B) somewhere a supposed anesthesia resident thinks running low-flow sevo is going to cause renal toxicity???

Enjoy your slummy $380K/yr. Maybe you can buy some lottery tickets or go to Vegas or put it all in crypto. I hear SHIB still has a ways to run!
Renal toxicity in rats on sevo for 48 hrs lol….. Money aint everything. As a Anesthesia doc I married a hot ER doc(who makes a very competitive wage and former model in her younger years). Pick someone your compatible with intellectually. Looks fade, money dries up, and someone always has more than you do. I have had my share of failures and success in the grand scheme of life I am further than I ever dreamed. Troll or not you need a adjustment.

Haha damn that sucks OP. So after three years you and your gf only going to make 580k combined? ****ing peasants

• Haha
This thread kept going and going. Bravo. I feel better about myself, despite tha fact that I make a Paltry amount of $$.

Like the Energizer bunny. BTW, the Energizer bunny was one of the worst marketing failures ever. Tons of money spent and half the people couldn’t tell you if it was a Duracell or Energizer bunny.

This thread kept going and going. Bravo. I feel better about myself, despite tha fact that I make a Paltry amount of $$.

Like the Energizer bunny. BTW, the Energizer bunny was one of the worst marketing failures ever. Tons of money spent and half the people couldn’t tell you if it was a Duracell or Energizer bunny.

For the record I was but a little kid back in the day and I recognized it as the Energizer bunny. Those shmucks who couldn't figure it out are thr same schmucks who thought a 1/3 pounder was smaller than a 1/4 pounder w cheese.

Reactions: 4 users
i dont know why neuro surgeon cares about a line that much. i do my arterial lines at teh same time as their prep. except for big prone fusions i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re probably just some turd srna on his fourth break trying to be funny. Why don’t you keep your eye on the patient so you don’t assassinate him.

Hi,
I’m a CA3 and I’m lost. I’m lost because I fabricated this idea that all would be ok, and it’s not. I failed to match neurosurgery 4 years ago due to my ineptitude to take standardized tests. There were 6 failed residents my year, the 5 others took time off, re applied and are all residents in neurosurgery. My brother is a PgY 7 and just got his job offer…$900k plus 4K per call night plus RVU bonus. This is in Florida. My starting salary in the same city is 380k, with the hope of going up to 480k after 3 years. I was the valedictorian just like my brother, I was a Rhodes scholar, I just can’t take tests. Now I get pressured by neurosurgeons to get the a line in 5 seconds so we can pin. The crna comes in and changes my vent settings and decreases my flow rate because she knows more about renal toxicity than I. I will never have the 4 million dollar house, the fancy vacations, or anything my brother and his wife (also neurosurgery) will have. My only hope for happiness may have been pain but my ITE scores sucked so I never tried. I will be a poor, noctor my whole life working at the whim of orthos and neurosurgeons making 2-3x as much as I do.
This post is pathetic unless its a joke. I do hope you're joking. You're upset you didnt match neurosurgery? you should be jumping for joy. Neurosurgery is a MISERABLE life. You wanna make your brother miserable? Go into pain and do MILD procedures and stimulators all day, work 40 hr weeks, make VERY good money (often over 600k) and never take a single call in life. Then let them eat their hearts out. Stop whining though, for God's sake.

Reactions: 3 users
This post is pathetic unless its a joke. I do hope you're joking. You're upset you didnt match neurosurgery? you should be jumping for joy. Neurosurgery is a MISERABLE life. You wanna make your brother miserable? Go into pain and do MILD procedures and stimulators all day, work 40 hr weeks, make VERY good money (often over 600k) and never take a single call in life. Then let them eat their hearts out. Stop whining though, for God's sake.

Both anesthesiologists and neurosurgeons can be elite, world-class whiners so I can see why the OP was attracted to those specialties.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
During my ICU rotation we had a law student attempt to commit suicide by drinking drain cleaner. He had just had the epiphany that he was never going to become a Supreme Court justice. He survived but needed major surgery. I remember his affect was so weird when we rounded on him. He just looked at us with oddly bright eyes and almost a hint of smugness that he was getting attention, and concern from his parents. No devastation or remorse. Some people are smart but they are not intelligent, and their egos cannot handle it.

This is the funniest thread I read here in a long time.
But seriously, if anyone who is not simply trolling wants to be rich then medicine is not the right choice, you should do something worth the Millions you think you deserve. Maybe you should be the next Bill Gates or Bezos? See... these guys never had to take tests to become billionaires, they just had a brilliant idea that's worth something to the world. I say dig deep inside your valedictorian and obviously brilliant self and find that next amazing idea that will make you rich.

Work on your charm and self esteem and marry well and you can be king of the castle again. You know what’s better than your brothers $4M house? Your $40M Malibu beach house.
I’m an interesting guy, i read a lot, have varied interests from art to ancient architecture and history, physics and cosmology, war veteran, I used to be quite handsome. If I can do it, you can do it my valedictorian friend.
Work on your game and charm your way up from homecoming queen to billionaire’s daughter.
Dream big and aim high!

Last edited:
Work on your charm and self esteem and marry well and you can be king of the castle again. You know what’s better than your brothers $4M house? Your $40M Malibu beach house.
I’m an interesting guy, i read a lot, have varied interests from art to ancient architecture and history, physics and cosmology, war veteran, I used to be quite handsome. If I can do it, you can do it my valedictorian friend.
Work on your game and charm your way up from homecoming queen to billionaire’s daughter.
Dream big and aim high!
If he is really committed he should bypass the daughter and go straight for the billionaire with the bypass. Find out how bad he wants to be truly happy with that sweet moolah.

Suck it up, you’re a murse now and there is nothing you can do about it. Pull up your big boy murse pants, sign the crna’s chart, and find something other than your job to give you happiness…and meaning, if you need it.
Lol I would be pumped for my brother and maybe make him pay for dinner once in a while .

Also it sounds like your proverbial brother should be making well into the $1M+ range with all the extra stuff you listed on top of his base salary of 900K.
Have him pay for dinner on the reg, use his yacht and multiple vacation homes at your leisure, seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

As a surgeon, I experience the opposite of this every day. Every day I drive home to my fiance (who is also a surgeon, haha) in a 2021 Ferrari laughing at the pathetic anesthesiologists who will never know such joy.
Please come around more often.

This was a very funny post.

Reactions: 1 users
OP worked at NIH for two years and thought that was hard labor.

Funny OP. Great post to get us all talking and smiling.

We await your next…

I’m lost at how anyone would think this is a troll post. If you were making in the 300s and you brother and sister in law were making in the 900s, would you feel good about yourself?
I'm shocked how many are taking this thread seriously. Your troll game isn't even mildly convincing.

Last edited:
I’m lost at how anyone would think this is a troll post. If you were making in the 300s and you brother and sister in law were making in the 900s, would you feel good about yourself?
Have you considered getting off of your lazy butt and opening up lemonade stands to make up the difference?

• Haha