Did I just screw up my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davey

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN:

I think I did something stupid, and want to know if you all think I've screwed up my chances at this school. Ok, so here goes. I went to an interview last Wednesday and had a student interviewer who gave me her email address. The committee met that day of the interview, so I knew they had a decision made after that day. The next day, I emailed her asking her if a LOI would help, what my weaknesses as far as interviewing goes, so I could strengthen them in the future, and also a couple of questions about the school and location in general.

I have got no response yet, and am wondering if my questions were inappropriate (especially the LOI and weakness one). Could this impact me negatively in any way?

Thanks

davey

Members don't see this ad.

nah i wouldn't think so, you said they met that day.........i could hardly imagine an interviewer messing up your chances at that school after the committee has met...............

Nero

If they met and made a decision on Wed. and you sent a letter on Thurs. the letter came after the decision....it couldn't affect the results unless I am misunderstanding the timing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how any of what you did was inappropriate. Maybe a bit premature, considering you haven't been rejected yet (re:how to strengthen your app), but I doubt it was inappropriate.

do you think a cell phone going off during an interview at a competitve school would screw up someone's chances?

Originally posted by antoniop
do you think a cell phone going off during an interview at a competitve school would screw up someone's chances?

In a former life I was a recruiter for IS/IT professionals. During an interview I was conducting, the interviewees phone rang. No big deal right, just shut the phone off and move on.

But no, the applicant answered the phone during the interview and proceeded to make plans with his friends after the interview. I was a little amazed and mildly amused. Though he was very qualified, he didn't get the job.

It could be that the person you sent the e-mail to just hasn't had time to respond to your email yet.

Originally posted by immediatespring
what does LOI mean?

Letter of Intent: It is written to the med school you recently interviewed at and you write to them that you are very interested in going to their med school and if admitted, you would definitely attend.

Davey,
I wouldn't sweat it. I asked all of those question during the interview except about the LOI. Then I e-mailed my thank you notes and it didn't end up hurting my chances in the end.

Good Luck!

:)