Did I screw up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoLAClippers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to freak out now. I was interviewed by a medical school professor for a letter of rec two weeks ago. Just for your info, he also happens to be in the admission committee of a top school. He wanted to know what my goal in medicine was, and I told him I would like to open my own family clinic in a RURAL area of California in the future? He asked, "Where?" I said, "Lake Elsinore and Mission Viejo - my friends live there- or Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks Area." Today, my friend told me those areas are actually more like suburbs, not rural. Also, he mentioned that rural would be more like places in Nebraska or Kansas. Oh great! Did I shoot myself on the foot?

Members don't see this ad.

You call asking for LOR is screw?

No, I am just concerned that he might think either I am an idiot or liar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting to freak out now. I was interviewed by a medical school professor for a letter of rec two weeks ago. Just for your info, he also happens to be in the admission committee of a top school. He wanted to know what my goal in medicine was, and I told him I would like to open my own family clinic in a RURAL area of California in the future? He asked, "Where?" I said, "Lake Elsinore and Mission Viejo - my friends live there- or Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks Area." Today, my friend told me those areas are actually more like suburbs, not rural. Also, he said that rural would be more like places in Nebraska or Kansas. Oh great! Did I shoot myself on the foot?

Chill out. I bet the professor doesn't even know whether these places are rural or not. Even if he did he probably gave you the benefit of the doubt. If you are freaking out about this I can only imagine the panic attacks you have when you come against a real problem.

No, I am just concerned that he might think either I am an idiot or liar.

No u r not screwed! However, Honesty is the best policy. At my interview, i was asked where I see myself in the future... I told them that i plan set up shop in Beverly hills, two weeks after i was accepted!

Just be honest next time!

:laugh:
Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks as rural? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What kind of clinic would this be? Plastics? If you could afford the real estate its clear you wouldn't be working with the (fewer) indigent patients out there...

I'm sure he as just giving you advice. Good job asking for LORs now though.

While I find it as amusing as the above poster to consider Lake Elsinore, Thousand Oaks, Santa Barbara or Mission Viejo as rural, there are areas in California which qualify. Places in the San Joaquin Valley like Five Points or Huron definitely have a need for health care...too bad its not nearly as nice an area as the places you listed, and you would most likely need to speak Spanish.

Anyway, I don't think you screwed yourself; if anything, the professor was as amused as we were with your description of those areas as rural and put it down to a sheltered existence more than anything else.