Did I shoot myself in the foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gannador

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I interviewed a few months ago at Duke and U of Michigan, and I decided against sending thank you letters because at the time I felt that it gave the wrong impression. As time has gone on, I have begun to regret not sending thank you letters to the interviewers. Do you think that this will seriously hurt my chances?

Also, at Harvard I sent a single letter to the Dean of Admissions, rather than to individual interviewers. Was this a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: Don't worry! I never sent thank you letters to UMich and it didn't matter. I'm sure it's the same for Duke. It's really nice to send interviewers thank you letters, but it won't affect your chances of getting accepted.

I think you're fine. Honestly, by the time they would have received the notes their input to the adcom probably would be finalized anyways. It's more of a courtesy than a factor influencing whether or not you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh man, not only did you shoot yourself in the foot but I think you blew your whole leg off. j/k......I dont know anything about sending thank-you letters after interviews, but I honestly dont think you are going to be rejected because of this

So I interviewed a few months ago at Duke and U of Michigan, and I decided against sending thank you letters because at the time I felt that it gave the wrong impression. As time has gone on, I have begun to regret not sending thank you letters to the interviewers. Do you think that this will seriously hurt my chances?

Also, at Harvard I sent a single letter to the Dean of Admissions, rather than to individual interviewers. Was this a bad idea?

I doubt it necessarily hurts, but in general, you address letters to individual interviewers, though you can certainly send them c/o of the office.

I've always wondered about this too. Living in AZ, my letters take about a week and a half to get to the east coast. A lot of adcoms meet before they would have gotten my letters. I've sent a couple express out of paranoia... lol.

Many factors go into determining whether or not you will be offered admission at a school. The thank you note is not one of those factors.

If one of the admission criteria of a med school was "Did the applicant send a thank you note?" I would think that their admissions process needs re-thinking. Send thank you notes out of kindness for the interviewers volunteering to meet with you, not out of zealous paranoia over whether or not you'll get accepted.

Its ok to forget the thank you letters as long as u remember to send in the bribe.

I email thank you's. My interviewer actually e-mailed me back later congratulating me on getting in and said he wanted to introduce me to people once I got there! Seems like the interviewers and admissions committee like it better too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else think that sending thank you's to your interviewers is not a good idea?

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that sending thank you's to your interviewers is not a good idea? Personally, I won't send them...nobody likes a kiss***. Thoughts?

It's called common courtesy. I bet you don't open doors for people on crutches either because you might be kissing their ass.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just one question, why do they keep your letters in your file then?

I believe thank you notes are a reflection of your upbringing, be it your parents or others whom you have met along the way. Anyone who thinks thanking someone for taking the time to interview you is a negative thing to do (or kiss a** as some of you write) must not have done much volunteering in his or her past. It is the correct thing to do; their gift of their time is no different than a gift of cash or a candy bar. If I do not receive a thank you note or email from students whom I interview, I only think that they have a lot to learn in life, and certainly have not been taught well. Manners are manners. I would not write a bad letter of recommendation for such a student, but it makes me sad on a societal level.

On the other hand, there are some schools where the students are specifically asked not to send letters of thanks to their interviewers. I find this bizarre but would respect that request.

In summary, medical interviews aside, you can never go wrong by thanking someone. It is thoughtful and makes the other person feel good, and you too. How bad can that be?

Wow, easy now. I think "kiss***" wasn't the best of words to use. That came across stronger than I intended it to be. I was in a hurry and should have reconsidered my statement. Sorry.

Anyways, I understand how one could consider writing thank you letters to be a common courtesy. I was just wondering if some people on here are a little hesitant to write them in fear of sending the wrong message. It just seems to me that writing these is perhaps overkill...after all, I'm sure anyone that has had an interview has made it a point to thank the interviewer for their time and consideration. Maybe I'm crazy and/or just don't get it.

I email thank you's. My interviewer actually e-mailed me back later congratulating me on getting in and said he wanted to introduce me to people once I got there! Seems like the interviewers and admissions committee like it better too.
What's the general rule when it comes to emailing interviewers that didn't give you their email address/card? Would it be too presumptuous/rude to send them an email thank you, if you were only able to find their email address online? Would it just be "better" to send a regular snail mail thank you c/o the admissions office instead?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just one question, why do they keep your letters in your file then?

Because it's just the admissions offices' policy to put everything you send in into your file. They won't ever look at your thank you not again though.

rjf said:
Does anyone else think that sending thank you's to your interviewers is not a good idea?

Initially I thought this might be the case, until I rethought the purpose of a thank you card. At first I thought that part of sending a thank-you was to restate my credentials to the interviewers. However, now I realize that really the only thing that's appropriate to say in the thank-you is how much you appreciated them spending time with you and maybe mention a few things you learned about the school from speaking with them. It's not a last-minute chance to sell yourself one more time.

It's alright. There was that DEA agent who shot himself in the foot literally during a demo in class with a loaded gun.

I'm pretty sure it was a weapons safety class too, which just adds to the irony.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0[/YOUTUBE]

I contacted the assistant dean of admissions (also via email) and asked for e-mail addresses. One school gave me the addresses and another school forwarded my message to the interviewer.

I sent an thank-you email addressed to both of my interviewers after the interview (well it was after midnight by the time I got home:D)

I also made my own thank you cards and sent to them the next day. They were really nice, friendly, patient, and attentive during the interview. Therefore, to me it was only courteous to show my respect and appreciation for all they had given me by thanking them in a personalized way. :luck:

To me being sincere about what you do is the key. Thinking about how that gesture of yours can help your application one way or another should never be the reason! :eek: I cannot tell my interviewers how to perceive my actions, I can only uphold myself to my moral principles and thank them for all the kindness I received from them.

the same goes to all those I sent thank you emails at the admissions office and faculty who helped with my concerns. :)

Follow your heart is my 2 cents. :luck::luck::luck: