Did not match - international vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjrt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am an European graduate from a non-AVMA accredited School (recognized, though). I have also been interested in the wildlife and exotic field of veterinary medicine and I spent some time (6 months total) in some wildlife and rehab center in the US (not academic places). I've applied for the 2014-2015 match this year but didn't match (I had 4 LORs, one from a European boarded vet, one from a european resident vet, one from a professor from my school and the last from an american vet). I know that I would probably need to spend more time in the US and get my new LORs from there but don't really know where to start. If you guys have any suggestions I would be very grateful
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a stupid question, but are you licensed and able to work in the US as a vet? Is that status necessary for the programs you applied for through the match? I don't really have much advice, other than to make sure you're at least meeting the minimum requirements for the programs.

I'm not licensed to work in the US as a vet yet (working on it) but I only applied for positions (very few..I ranked 7 ) that din't require NAVLE or accreditation to work in the US/Canada and that could sponsor a visa! (I got in contact with the internships coordinators before applying ;)) I forgot to write that! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can always work as a tech and volunteer with various wildlife places. I know, for instance, that Banfield hired a lot of vets from overseas as technicians while they took their language proficiency exams and their accreditation exams. Be warned though, going that route may be long and involved. I think part of what will help though is making contacts. You may also consider coming to the US for exotics/wildlife based continuing education to make some contacts and find some options. Good luck!

You can always work as a tech and volunteer with various wildlife places. I know, for instance, that Banfield hired a lot of vets from overseas as technicians while they took their language proficiency exams and their accreditation exams. Be warned though, going that route may be long and involved. I think part of what will help though is making contacts. You may also consider coming to the US for exotics/wildlife based continuing education to make some contacts and find some options. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply dyachei! I think that (one of my biggest) problem is that I'm not legally allowed to work in the US right now (I don't have a green card or some sort of visa) so I don't know if that way (Banfield I mean) would work for me.. but if you have any more information about foreign vets working for them please let me know (I can send you my e-mail adress if that's better), thanks again!

i would think that continuing to go through the long and painful process of being licensed to practice as a veterinarian in the US, continuing to build practice experience as a veterinarian where ever you, and building a network through CE and the likes would ultimately be more valuable for you long term than picking up and being a tech in the US. sounds like you have some excellent contacts for writing you letters, keep those relationships!

All matching programs assume active veterinary licence. Application can be reviewed but not selected if the next applicant is licenced in the US with similarly excellent references.

Working as tech will require certificate too - only very few states let foreign DVM to sit for exam.

techs don't have to be certified depending on the state. You just need a work visa for it.

LOL. You mislead people. To say it correctly "techs MUST be certified depending on the state."
from AAVSB site
"Some states allow On the Job Training (OJT) or alternate pathways to being eligible for the VTNE. Currently, these states include Alaska, California, Wisconsin, and Washington."
All other 46 (for now) need certification.

LOL. You mislead people. To say it correctly "techs MUST be certified depending on the state."
from AAVSB site
"Some states allow On the Job Training (OJT) or alternate pathways to being eligible for the VTNE. Currently, these states include Alaska, California, Wisconsin, and Washington."
Incorrect. You can be a tech in FL for instance without being certified. To be a certified (or licensed or registered) veterinary technician, then you need the additional training and testing. Veterinary technicians and assistants don't always have to have those things.

For instance, I was an assistant in 3 states before vet school with no formal training. None of them are on your list. So I think we are just talking around each other. But you do NOT need to be a CVT/RVT/LVT to be able to work in the field in a technician role except in certain states where they limit your activities.

from AAVSB site

No. You misread what dyachei said.

Many states allow "assistants" to do all the same functions and tasks as a certified tech without the certification. That is what dyachei is saying. If you want to become a CVT/RVT/LVT then, depending upon the state, you will need the additional school/training in order to sit the licensing exam. However, if you don't care about being a certified tech, then you can just work without the certification. I worked as a vet tech without the certification for 7 years... did everything a certified tech would do.

No. You misread what dyachei said.

Many states allow "assistants" to do all the same functions and tasks as a certified tech without the certification. That is what dyachei is saying. If you want to become a CVT/RVT/LVT then, depending upon the state, you will need the additional school/training in order to sit the licensing exam. However, if you don't care about being a certified tech, then you can just work without the certification. I worked as a vet tech without the certification for 7 years... did everything a certified tech would do.

I agree with you. Thanks for clarification. I really saw high school grads working as "vet tech". But that is only title and on payroll they are assistants. Clinics do not have to pay more.

You can work as a veterinary technician in some states without certification. I personally and other people that went to vet school with me have decided to take the VTNE to get certified but in some states you don't have to. It depends on the state but you should be able to take VTNE. I also applied for VIRMP twice and didn't get matched but I applied to veterinary school clinics which don't require the NAVLE but very difficult to get in because priority given to their vet students. I recommend avma.org career section and look up internships and maybe you could find one that doesn't require the NAVLE or license. Good luck for foreign vets it is a very difficult and long process, 90% end up working as technicians for a long time. Good luck.

Thank you everybody for your help. @futurovet what exactly do you mean with "but I applied to veterinary school clinics which don't require the NAVLE but very difficult to get in because priority given to their vet students."? Are you a foreign graduate? Where from? If you want to talk in private please let me know so I can send you my e-mail adress. Thank you.