Did not updating residency programs with my STEP 2 score hurt me in the ranking process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousbunnie2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Need some help easing my post match anxiety and helping reassure that I did my best this past residency application cycle.

I took STEP 2 at the end of January after all my interviews were completed and released the USMLE transcript to programs on 2/2. Scored a 25x, which made up for for my absymal 21x STEP 1 score. I didn't think to send an email to the PD/PC an update email, as I assumed they would be notified by ERAS.

I ended up matching at my #3 which I'm not too thrilled about still. Do y'all think my #1 and #2 didn't rank me because they didn't have my STEP 2 score? I mean if I was on their rank list and they liked me enough to interview me without a STEP 2, couldn't they have gone back to look at my ERAS?

Any positive thoughts would be helpful at this time

Members don't see this ad.

It does not matter, you matched your #3. Nothing will change it so instead of dwelling on what could have happened you need to just move forward with the best intentions in mind. It will all work out

Reactions: 16 users
It is impossible to know whether sending an update email might’ve made a difference. Eventually you’re just going to have to live with that uncertainty.

FWIW I matched at my #3 for residency and #6 for fellowship, and both programs wound up being exactly where I was meant to be.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why focus on the past? What's done is done. There's no changing it now. And nobody except those PDs would be able to tell you if it actually made a difference. It's all moot now.

Reactions: 2 users
1) Impossible to say and probably program dependent, but especially if you had a low step 1 I would find it unlikely the program would not check back for your step 2 prior to rank list.
2) What makes you think your 1/2 didn't rank you? They may have ranked you and liked you a lot, just filled higher on their list.
3) Only 40% of residency applicants match at their first choice, and 30% match lower than their top 3. You did pretty well.
4) Go into it with a positive attitude and not worrying about what might have been. You might find this is a great program for you. What made you rank them so high in the first place?

Reactions: 4 users
Do y'all think my #1 and #2 didn't rank me because they didn't have my STEP 2 score?
No. I don't think those programs not having your score mattered at all. Maybe some adcom can correct me, but it's my understanding that scores get you the interview, not the rank list spot.

Also, who cares? It's too late to matter. If it really bothers you, use it as motivation to work harder. As a med student, I was crushed to not be accepted at my #1 or #2 choice. Years later, both institutions have tried to recruit me as an attending. It all works out.

I will add that your program hierarchy opinion will last about a month into residency at most. Looking back, I am very happy I didn't match at the program I ranked #1.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Impossible to say and probably program dependent, but especially if you had a low step 1 I would find it unlikely the program would not check back for your step 2 prior to rank list.
2) What makes you think your 1/2 didn't rank you? They may have ranked you and liked you a lot, just filled higher on their list.
3) Only 40% of residency applicants match at their first choice, and 30% match lower than their top 3. You did pretty well.
4) Go into it with a positive attitude and not worrying about what might have been. You might find this is a great program for you. What made you rank them so high in the first place?
This. Thank you reminding that at the end of the day, I still matched.

I chose my #3 because it was my home institution and overall felt comfortable. The only con is location, had I considered matching at my #3, I probably would have ranked them lower.

I chose my #3 because it was my home institution and overall felt comfortable. The only con is location, had I considered matching at my #3, I probably would have ranked them lower.

Not to beat a dead horse as you can't change anything but how could you not have considered matching at your third ranked program?

Not to beat a dead horse as you can't change anything but how could you not have considered matching at your third ranked program?
I didn't honestly consider it and thought I was a guaranteed at my 1 or 2. Took the process for granted, I guess.

Matching at your home program is awesome, and if you liked it enough as a student to rank it that highly, I'm sure you will have a great residency experience! And you'll start with a leg up because you know the system and the EMR and be able to stand out in a positive way early on! Sounds like you will be set up for success.

Would have rather stayed at my home program vs #4 and #5 (university program vs. county-based hospital vs. having to move across the country)
The point was why did you rank program #3 above the rest of your lower ranked programs... and now why do you regret ranking it higher, and instead which program from #4 down (I guess #6 down since you say you prefer 3 to 4or 5 which makes sense) you would have ranked as #3 instead......

The point was why did you rank program #3 above the rest of your lower ranked programs... and now why do you regret ranking it higher, and instead which program from #4 down (I guess #6 down since you say you prefer 3 to 4or 5 which makes sense) you would have ranked as #3 instead......
In all, I would have been happier matching at my #3 compared to #4 and #5. I don't regret ranking my ranking for #3, but this whole post was moreso me asking if I could have done anything to improve my chances at #1 or #2. Can only help but think, what if.

If I could go back, I would've put more thought into #1-5.

In all, I would have been happier matching at my #3 compared to #4 and #5. I don't regret ranking my ranking for #3, but this whole post was moreso me asking if I could have done anything to improve my chances at #1 or #2. Can only help but think, what if.

If I could go back, I would've put more thought into #1-5.
From what you've said, it sounds like you ranked the programs correctly, based on your level of genuine interest in what they have to offer. There is literally no better way to rank them, that guarantees that you end up at the most preferred program that you can. Ranking them differently wouldn't have changed your outcome for #1, 2, or 3 because you weren't ranked high enough to match at 1 or 2 anyway. Ranking 4 or 5 higher might have resulted in you matching there instead of 3, and it sounds like you like 3 more than 4 or 5....so what would have changed for the better?

OP, relax! Enjoy your last month or so before the grind of residency begins. Before long, you will in pub after long call with your new comrades and co-residents, bonding and complaining what a crapshow residency is.

Hey everyone,

Need some help easing my post match anxiety and helping reassure that I did my best this past residency application cycle.

I took STEP 2 at the end of January after all my interviews were completed and released the USMLE transcript to programs on 2/2. Scored a 25x, which made up for for my absymal 21x STEP 1 score. I didn't think to send an email to the PD/PC an update email, as I assumed they would be notified by ERAS.

I ended up matching at my #3 which I'm not too thrilled about still. Do y'all think my #1 and #2 didn't rank me because they didn't have my STEP 2 score? I mean if I was on their rank list and they liked me enough to interview me without a STEP 2, couldn't they have gone back to look at my ERAS?

Any positive thoughts would be helpful at this time
Unless you decide to do a second residency later like a mad lad this particular problem will never occur again in your life so there’s no point dwelling on what you should have done differently

After you pass residency you will be a highly sought after person who has a lot of bargaining power, don’t forget that you have that power and don’t sign anything that will limit your choices like a non compete, no matter how good the job seems.

Reactions: 1 user
Be happy to be with the program that wants you!!! You're going to do fantastic, and they are glad to have you. Best of luck to you! You'll get the chance to standout and excel.

I think most of the time we think the perfect scenario is the choice we think would be the most ideal, but becoming a resident & your experiences at one will inform you exactly why it was your ideal #3. When we think of top 3s, we usually believe they’re all great choices anyway.

Continuing to grow & give back to your home institution doesn’t mean you were never good enough for your 1st or 2nd choice (I mean, you aimed high for a reason - you always felt capable!). Just believe that the right job found you. Who knows, maybe down the road you’ll realize why it was a blessing in disguise you didn’t end up at those other schools.

Let yourself enjoy it. Worrying won’t change the results. Don’t let a ranked list define you. The world is still open to you, that much is true.

This is a terrible way of going through life. Nothing productive about this line of thinking. If you look back and second-guess every decision and everything that happens to you, you’re going to make yourself miserable. Congratulations on matching. I know people that didn’t. Don’t take it for granted, be grateful for the little things and the big things.

Reactions: 1 user