did physics with algebra but considering taking one with calc now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did physicals with algebra about a year and a half ago when I was at CC, but I'm now considering taking one with calculus (at 4 year uni). I still need to take college calculus, but would it be a bad idea for me to pursue physics with calc 1 and 2 later on? I'm a rising sophomore.

I did okay in my previous physics classes (A in physics 1 and a B in physics 2), but I feel like I finally understand HOW to study now...but then again, I'm afraid taking a weeder class will potentially kill my gpa since I know im not the smartest person in the world, but that's fine because I'm a grinder anyways.

So what do you think?

TIA.

p.s. I'm interested in taking this for my own personal knowledge. I'm starting to get to a point where I'm just like **** all this "crossing off checklists" crap and just learning for the sake of learning what I want.

Members don't see this ad.

That title is so great

edit: Title corrected, no longer so great

Last edited:
I think you need to worry about your verbal score more than calc physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Woah, what the hell is THAT? One second sir, I have to do some math..."

Tip: never tell a girl in a naughty tone that "Physicals with Algebra" is a fun class. I got slapped for doing so :cryi::cryi:

Jokes aside, @YoungProdigy could you at least take calculus-based physics with calculus 1? I mean, yes, you can learn calculus-based physics systematically without taking calculus, but it's unnecessarily harder to do so. Taking both physics and calculus will help you learn the concepts and do very well on both. If you can't, I recommend postponing physics for later until you get calculus out of the way. Or, the last resort, is to take and finish algebra-based physics in your sophomore year.

Reactions: 1 user
I took both types of physics (not by choice), but here's my two cents:

Algebra based physics is all you need for the MCAT, and as you probably know, it's very, very easy. Calculus based physics will provide you with a much more vast appreciation of the physical nature of objects, but without any calculus background, you'll be unnecessarily blowing your brains out.

Don't take the class unless you need to. Just google proofs whenever you feel like challenging yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
My school didn't allow me to take calc-based physics without having first taken calc. Because you haven't even taken calc yet I would just stick to the algebra-based class. That's what I did and I don't regret a thing.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I have already taken Physics with Algebra 1 and 2 when I went to CC. I now go to uni and am considering first taking calc this semester and then taking Physics with Calculus. Is this a good idea? I'm also sort of doing this to try and boost my science GPA, but I'm thinking that in the end, it'll probably murder my GPA.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I have already taken Physics with Algebra 1 and 2 when I went to CC. I now go to uni and am considering first taking calc this semester and then taking Physics with Calculus. Is this a good idea? I'm also sort of doing this to try and boost my science GPA, but I'm thinking that in the end, it'll probably murder my GPA.

Calculus-based physics is never a GPA booster (it's actually the opposite). Medical schools are more accepting towards CC credits (check the MSAR to be safe) so just focus on calculus as your physics requirement is complete.

You want to repeat physics when you have already satisfactorily completed it?

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't do this. Not because it could destroy your GPA (which I don't think it will), but because it isn't practical and there are easier ways to increase the GPA. Take some extra bio courses or try a minor.