Did you consider MD programs too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Nick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you going pre-DO I was curious as to how many of you are going this route as a first choice or as a safety?

P.S. This is not a DO-bashing thread.

Feel free to post your reasons/motivations below

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

My decision to pursue a D.O. degree versus an M.D. had a lot to do with my shadowing experiences and the interactions I had with admissions staff members. I found that the patient-physician interaction with the D.O. was stronger and students seemed to be a lot happier and more interested in the overall well-being of the patient, not just the diagnosis. I checked out a lot of M.D. programs but did not feel as if they were what I wanted as a physician. I know that the way a doctor practices depends a lot upon the person and not their training, but I am entirely satisfied with the choice I made and I cannot wait to begin D.O. school in the fall!

Julia
MSUCOM Class of 2006

D.O. is my first choice as I am interested in O.M.M.

However, I am also applying to MD schools because I do not think OMM will define my practice as a doctor and there are MD programs out there that are much, much cheaper than some of the DO programs (eg my state MD school). I do not plan to apply to MD programs that are more expensive than the DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to both types of schools. At first, I only wanted MD schools, but the more I researched Osteopathic Medicine, I knew it was for me. I only received interviews at 2 DO schools anyway, but was accepted to UHS and waitlisted at DMU. I know that if I were accepted at both allo and osteo, I would choose osteopathy in a heartbeat!!

Chris

I prefer the osteopathic philosophy, but unfortunately live in an area devoid of DO programs. I am married, 33, and own a house, so I'm not wild about relocating, but if I do it will be for a DO program. I will apply to my state school (OHSU) and go there if I get in as a matter of convenience, but if not I will apply to the 2 west coast DO programs(touro and comp).

I'm interested in OMM, and right now will only be applying to DO schools. There is an agreement between my home state and Darthmouth and UVM (MD programs) that ~15 students from the state will be granted acceptance through a special program. I'm looking into it, but even if I apply and are accepted I don't know if I'll go.

Kurtz,

I would vote on your poll, but the choice I would choose is not an option.

I applied to D.O. schools because I knew that if I was to become a D.O. I would have the same privilages as an M.D. It was not ever my intention to apply to a D.O. school as a safety, nor as applying to a M.D. school. I just knew that I would be a doctor regardless of which philosophical viewpoint D.O. and M.D. schools have towards medicine.

What I am trying to say is that it really doesn't matter if you go to an M.D. school or a D.O. school these days. Both have the same privileges. If you are worried about which school will train you to be a better doctor, then you need to ponder this question further. Neither school can make you a good doctor, that is up to you. You will be a good doc either as a D.O. or an M.D., just as you could be a bad doc. That choice is yours.

If you're curious, I was accepted to both M.D. schools and D.O. schools. I chose AZCOM because it was what I wanted from a medical school; 1.)I like the area (close to home); 2.)the curriculum is what I think I need; 3.)the third and fourth year preceptorships will be very helpful vs. the traditional "follow-the-intern"; 4.) and I like the personality and goals of the school.

Take Care,
Dave

I agree with the previous post. I applied to both MD and DO programs to optimize the chance. I would have been happy in either of the programs.

I only applied to osteopathic. Both med schools in my state are public, so $$ wasn't an issue. However, the osteopathic school is more accepting of non-traditional students like me.

I prefer the osteopathic philosophy anyways, so I'm happy.

I'd agree with DFrancyk on the poll question. For me, there was one goal: be a doctor. The politics, etc didn't matter to me. I'm currently on the fence, however about which to enter since I've been accepted at both. On the one hand, DO school was very friendly, great location and facilities, but MD school has better clinical training facilities. I've talked to a number of current DO and MD students and practitioners and they all say to find somewhere that you're comfortable - those that would stigmatize you based on your degree are in the minority. i find that most everyone is very open to either school - you've heard it a thousand times, i'm sure, but it's the individual that makes the doctor, not the degree. best of luck deciding...and wish me some luck too. :wink: