You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Did you do 0-6 pharmacy or get a bachelors first?
Started by SeekerofTruth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It seems like everyone I see on this forums has a bachelors in biology or something random like communications.
Why is this?
I am going to be majoring in chemistry if I get rejected from 0-6 yr programs.
I'm finishing up my B.S. in bio before starting pharmacy school in the fall. The reason I did it was to give myself time to make up my mind between med school and pharmacy. The other advantage is that now I've taken upper level stuff like biochem and physio in undergrad that will make my life easier in pharmacy school.
Do you think that chemistry is a bad pre-pharmacy major?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think that chemistry is a bad pre-pharmacy major?
I don't know that there's really any such thing. Like you mentioned, there are pre-pharms with just about every major you can think of that get in. Some majors, like biology and chemistry, make more sense for most people though because most of the pharmacy pre-reqs are typically also required for these majors. Some of the upper level chemistry that majors take doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'd go with what interests you.
Yeah I enjoy chemistry. Wouldn't make much sense for me to major in business when it's not my thing. Or bio, it's interesting but doesn't get my blood pumping.
Chemistry can be a "bad" major for pre-pharmacy only because there is not always "time" to do the other required coursework, like advanced biology(Mammalion physio, Bacteriology, etc) and oftentimes a Chemistry major won't afford time to do things like Public Speaking, etc.
Your mileage may vary. As long as you can *easily* get through the pre-requisite coursework (all of it) on time, then go for it. But you don't have to worry about this for at least one year. Go enjoy your first year of college. You're setting sail for Burnout Island as it stands.
Your mileage may vary. As long as you can *easily* get through the pre-requisite coursework (all of it) on time, then go for it. But you don't have to worry about this for at least one year. Go enjoy your first year of college. You're setting sail for Burnout Island as it stands.
eh, this is all because I am on my holiday break. Too much time to stress out for things..I am a worrier. sucks.
but anyways, besides the general ed. classes, this is the list of classes I'll need to take for chem major:
http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/undergraduate_study-chemistry_major
I'll probably choose option B as it stands
and maybe do one class every summer if i need to.
but anyways, besides the general ed. classes, this is the list of classes I'll need to take for chem major:
http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/undergraduate_study-chemistry_major
I'll probably choose option B as it stands
and maybe do one class every summer if i need to.
Try to avoid taking summer classes. You'll need the break. Whenever you take summer classes, you're in school all year long, unless of course you're graduating during the summer.eh, this is all because I am on my holiday break. Too much time to stress out for things..I am a worrier. sucks.
but anyways, besides the general ed. classes, this is the list of classes I'll need to take for chem major:
http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/undergraduate_study-chemistry_major
I'll probably choose option B as it stands
and maybe do one class every summer if i need to.
Try to avoid taking summer classes. You'll need the break. Whenever you take summer classes, you're in school all year long, unless of course you're graduating during the summer.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to lighten the load of your fall or spring.
yeah good idea.
Hopefully I won't have to take classes in the summer.
Hopefully I won't have to take classes in the summer.
... except that each summer semester of classes = 1 full year of school... which is what I already said.There's nothing wrong with wanting to lighten the load of your fall or spring.
If you take summer classes, in my opinion, you're more likely to experience burn-out. I was exhausted at the end of my P1 year from moving straight from summer graduation to pharmacy school. I graduated college in August and went straight to pharmacy school in September!
Let's see... so that was a semester of classes for Fall '05, Spring '06, Summer '06, Fall '06, and Spring '07- 5 semesters in a row! 
I took 2 summer semesters out of 8 years of college. One of the semesters got me on track for Chemistry, because I had skipped Chemistry my first semester and the other summer semester, I graduated with a bachelor's degree.
All of the other years, I was able to work part-time or full-time, do an internship overseas, relax, go to the beach, etc. during the summer.
This depends on the school I guess. At my school, there are 3 separate summer sessions, so you could take a class or 2 and still have a fairly substantial break. I agree that having a yearly break is a good idea, but I think giving up a month or two of summer to make life easier if you have a particularly difficult semester coming up is a decent option for some people, as long as you don't overdo it.... except that each summer semester of classes = 1 full year of school... which is what I already said.
... except that each summer semester of classes = 1 full year of school... which is what I already said.
If you take summer classes, in my opinion, you're more likely to experience burn-out. I was exhausted at the end of my P1 year from moving straight from summer graduation to pharmacy school. I graduated college in August and went straight to pharmacy school in September!Let's see... so that was a semester of classes for Fall '05, Spring '06, Summer '06, Fall '06, and Spring '07- 5 semesters in a row!
I took 2 summer semesters out of 8 years of college. One of the semesters got me on track for Chemistry, because I had skipped Chemistry my first semester and the other summer semester, I graduated with a bachelor's degree.
All of the other years, I was able to work part-time or full-time, do an internship overseas, relax, go to the beach, etc. during the summer.
That's softball my friend, I did 3 Fall-spring-summers in a row. I was off the last summer and I almost jumped off a bridge out of boredom, that really was a terrible summer (especially since the majority of my friends were taking classes).
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't understand how you can get burned out when the payoff is worth it.
I guess it just depends. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I was thinking about taking general ed. classes anyways.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been working in a pharmacy 20-40hrs a week for 6 years come rain or shine, good days and bad, scheduled or extra. Summers off meant extra money from being able to work more, swimming in the pool or cooling off in the ac, and waterparks. Those were the more immediate types of payoffs that kept me going, I suppose.That's softball my friend, I did 3 Fall-spring-summers in a row. I was off the last summer and I almost jumped off a bridge out of boredom, that really was a terrible summer (especially since the majority of my friends were taking classes).
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't understand how you can get burned out when the payoff is worth it.
I agree with you about summers. Summers come as a shocker once you've adjusted to running around with your head cut off. Pretty depressing, but not as depressing as going to school year-round.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K