Did You Match in the Allo Match Today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
could someone describe to me what it means to match into traditional?I saw a couple match list and some students were matched into traditional and i have no idea what that is....also is it better to match into an allopathic residency, like is it more presitigious or something? why are people so happy to be done with the AOA as it seems on this thread. sorry i am a future DO student and am just curious..Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

not really, and in some ways it is a disadvantage.

I know that I will never want to practice in one of the big 5 or whatever so I didn't really care aboot the COMLEX.

I'm in the same boat - while I took COMLEX I didn't do a TRI or qualify for Resolution 42. I will not do a FP rotation during residency. Those five states can kiss my hairy yellow ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat - while I took COMLEX I didn't do a TRI or qualify for Resolution 42. I will not do a FP rotation during residency. Those five states can kiss my hairy yellow ass.

lol

In my case there was no way I could have gotten off the necessary time during internship off to travel out of state for the COMLEX since at the time it was not offered on computer. I thought, what the hell, Iam never gonna be in one of the "big 5" anyway. The state I completed my residency in, in which I am completing my fellowship and will soon practice in has a single medical board and could care less that I am licensed via the USMLE. Since I am never leaving this state, I could care less about the COMLEX.

lol

In my case there was no way I could have gotten off the necessary time during internship off to travel out of state for the COMLEX since at the time it was not offered on computer. I thought, what the hell, Iam never gonna be in one of the "big 5" anyway. The state I completed my residency in, in which I am completing my fellowship and will soon practice in has a single medical board and could care less that I am licensed via the USMLE. Since I am never leaving this state, I could care less about the COMLEX.

But for majority of DO's this shouldn't be their mindset, you are better off just taking all your comlex boards. I doubt anyone can predict when you are 45 and you somehow end up in one of the big 5 to only realize that you can't practice anymore due to your rush to judgement back when you were 20. Anyways, for those who like playing it safe should take all comlex boards.

But for majority of DO's this shouldn't be their mindset, you are better off just taking all your comlex boards. I doubt anyone can predict when you are 45 and you somehow end up in one of the big 5 to only realize that you can't practice anymore due to your rush to judgement back when you were 20. Anyways, for those who like playing it safe should take all comlex boards.

You are confusing two different issues: the five states which require the TRI, and states which have separate osteo and allo licensing boards - of which there about seventeen. For example, I took all COMLEX, but didn't do a TRI or Resolution 42.

So I can't get a license in those 5 states. Someone else might have taken all the USMLE and may not be able to get a license in states that have separate medical boards.

There might even be a scenario where someone takes the USMLEs and also does a TRI, so they can work in those five states, but not one that has separate medicine boards.

Get it?

taking all 3 comlex is the safest thing to do if you are wooried about things.

I have not regretted getting licensed thru the usmle pathway and forgoing comlex 3.

do i have to take the USLME to get an ACGME residency?

No and yes.

If you want to do something competitive- yes you should take the USMLE. If you want to do something non-competitive then it will not matter.

Just got into DO school, want to clarify a few things,
1) Do you HAVE to do a rotating internship after completing DO school to get into MD residency?
2) What are the big 5 states that you all are quoting?
3) Taking USMLE qualifies for MD residency or you have to do anything else?

1. no
2. PA, FL, WV, OK, MI.
3. You don't even HAVE to take USMLE. Several, if not most allopathic residency programs accept COMLEX scores when applying for residency.

1. no
2. PA, FL, WV, OK, MI.
3. You don't even HAVE to take USMLE. Several, if not most allopathic residency programs accept COMLEX scores when applying for residency.

Just to clarify, #3 isn't entirely accurate. Most of allopathic FP residencies may only accept comlex scores, but to say MOST allopathic residencies in general accept only comlex is inaccurate.

Can you match somewhere with just comlex, of course. Will you potentially be limiting yourself (especially with more competitive residencies - not just the ROAD ones, either), most definitely.

Just something to keep in mind. My little anecdotal piece of evidence that I turn to is that Iowa's EM program - a newer program in a state with a long-standing DO school, in the Midwest, has essentially made it clear that all applicants should take the USMLE - this from the PD's mouth.

Just to clarify, #3 isn't entirely accurate. Most of allopathic FP residencies may only accept comlex scores, but to say MOST allopathic residencies in general accept only comlex is inaccurate.

Can you match somewhere with just comlex, of course. Will you potentially be limiting yourself (especially with more competitive residencies - not just the ROAD ones, either), most definitely.

Just something to keep in mind. My little anecdotal piece of evidence that I turn to is that Iowa's EM program - a newer program in a state with a long-standing DO school, in the Midwest, has essentially made it clear that all applicants should take the USMLE - this from the PD's mouth.

I would just add that many, if not most DOs applying to Allopathinc residencies typically only take Step 1, and/or maybe Step 2 of the USMLE.