Did you opt for a full 4 year degree or apply after 2 yrs. of pre-pharm..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desiluscious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in which you completed the "basic" pre-reqs? :oops:

I hope this isn't a repost! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

desiluscious said:

Actually, I posted this before....and I still think it's a good question!

I will have a B.S. in Pharmacological Chemistry. I think most people opt for the 2 years of prereqs.

opted for a BS. It's a way to make a little money while going to pharmacy school and also a back up plan. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the above two, i'm getting a BA in Molecular Bio & Biochemistry, its a good back up plan, plus, makes you a more competitive candidate. But I decided to go for pharmacy after starting college... if I could do it over, (if not from high school) I would get an Associates Degree in Chemistry from community, 2yrs, then go straight to pharm school.

I got a BS in Biology. UF's requirements are a full AA degree, plus all those extra science classes. I couldn't have done it in two years anyway, so I took an extra year to get my BS first.

I got my BS in Molecular and Microbiology. Unfortunately, it took me 5 years to earn... but it's worth it because my study skills are 100x better compared to my sophomore year. I would have failed miserably 3 years ago if I had started pharmacy school level courses.

I did all my prereqs in my first and only year of university. You will definitely need good time management skills if you want to get through all the science courses with a good grade. I guess all my hard work paid off because I just got accepted into pharmacy today!

BS Biomedical Engineering :)

I came to school here to get my degree, and i wouldnt have had it any other way. and plus, being an undergrad is crazy fun.....wouldn't have traded those last 2 years for anything :thumbup:

i think its personal preference. i like knowing that if pharm school doesnt work out for whatever reason, i've got a useful degree that i can get a job with.

desiluscious said:

I finished with a: B.S. in Cell and Developmental Biology/ Minor in Biochem

I'm finishing my BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry before Pharm school. TONS more schools are looking for applicants with more than just the basic 2 years of pre-reqs... a BS makes you much more competitive.

Somewhat unrelated: Ohio State University now requires a bachelor's degree. I wonder if other schools will be heading this way as well...

I just finished my BS in Biology with minors in Chem, Microbiology, and Spanish. I saw the scoring sheet at UACP during my interview and you got bonus points for having a BS, MS, etc. 2 years ago I think I would have flunked out of Pharmacy school, but now I think I've got my act together ;)

Gauden44 said:
Somewhat unrelated: Ohio State University now requires a bachelor's degree. I wonder if other schools will be heading this way as well...

I most definitely think that pharmacy schools are leaning towards requiring a bachelor's degree due to how competitive admissions is becoming.

I read on some school's websites that even though they do not "require" a four year degree, somewhere around 80-90% of the accepted students have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jaquabeem said:
I did all my prereqs in my first and only year of university. You will definitely need good time management skills if you want to get through all the science courses with a good grade. I guess all my hard work paid off because I just got accepted into pharmacy today!
Congratulations! :clap:

I'm assuming you took a lot of AP classes in HS, which is why you were able to finish nearly 70 credits wihin one year?

I think I will apply after completing the "basic" prereqs, and then if I don't get in, I'll continue toward a BS in Biochem, and apply again. :)

I have a 115 credits and wasn't working towards a degree. I just decided pharmacy my sophomore year and it took me that many more credits to get all of the pre-reqs. I know I'm pretty close to a degree, but I don't really care too much because I'm accepted into pharmacy school.

I say if there is a Bachelor's that you really want, then get it. However, if you finish the prereques for the schools you want to go to while working toward your degree, then why not apply? :rolleyes: In either case 1.you get accepted to pharmacy school sooner than you thought, if not, 2.continue with your degree and yes, you will be a better candidate!

ethyl said:
I got my BS in Molecular and Microbiology. Unfortunately, it took me 5 years to earn... but it's worth it because my study skills are 100x better compared to my sophomore year. I would have failed miserably 3 years ago if I had started pharmacy school level courses.

I agree! I'm finishing my BSc in immunology and infection this year and I'm glad I waited to apply for pharmacy. My study skills are much better than they were a few years ago.

-Spencer

I got my BA in Bio in 2004. I am a latecomer to the pharmacy trend!

I went through the extra trouble of getting my BS so I can hang my diploma in the living room of my apartment to impress all my other classmates who don't have a diploma yet :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

UVaWahoo said:
BS Biomedical Engineering :)

I came to school here to get my degree, and i wouldnt have had it any other way. and plus, being an undergrad is crazy fun.....wouldn't have traded those last 2 years for anything :thumbup:

i think its personal preference. i like knowing that if pharm school doesnt work out for whatever reason, i've got a useful degree that i can get a job with.

Yay, another Biomedical Engineer! I got my BS in Biomedical Engineering and I definitely think that the full 4-year college experience was priceless because not only does a degree make you more competitive but you grow up a lot more as a person. Like UVaWahoo said, I wouldn't trade my years for anything...

jessicaeatworld said:
Actually, I posted this before....and I still think it's a good question!

I will have a B.S. in Pharmacological Chemistry. I think most people opt for the 2 years of prereqs.

Pharmacological chemistry, that's something im planning to pursue right now before to boost my chances for pharmacy school....how is that major like?

i opted for 2 year pre-pharm. but if i can't do pharmacy school i am going to transfer to my school's doctor of physical therapy program cause i heard it is easier than pharmacy.

tdkneo said:
Pharmacological chemistry, that's something im planning to pursue right now before to boost my chances for pharmacy school....how is that major like?

Do you go to UCSD?

The major is no more difficult than any other chem degree. However, all chem degrees are harder than Bio degrees.

I'm hoping that this major at UCSD will help me get into their pharm school. It can't hurt right?