Did you take time off after undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreddo

Cal Bear :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 3rd year undergraduate student and I'm going on to an MSW program after I graduate. I'm a little iffy about whether I should take a year off or not. :confused:

For those of you who took time off: What did you do during your time off? Do you feel that time away from academia was beneficial (mentally, financially, etc)?
For those of you who went straight to graduate school: Was it difficult to transition from undergraduate studies to graduate studies with out a break?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the process of my two-year vacation between undergrad and grad school. I am working at a Clinical Research Assistant and it is working out so nicely. I was in undergrad for 5 years, so on top of all the schooling already completed I definitely needed a break. I feel like I will be ready to move on to graduate school after this break.

Hope this helps a little. :)

I worked a "real job" for my last year and a half of college, and then two years after that. I knew I was going to go back to graduate school, though during my time out in the working world I was able to learn more about myself and what I wanted out of life. It isn't for everyone, but I think people limit themselves when they go straight through school and not experience life outside of academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was burned out as all get-out by the time I hit my senior year in college. I took a year off and volunteered for a national service corps, working with adolescents in a group home setting. Probably one of the better decisions I ever made- lots of experience, lots of good memories, no schoolwork involved (except helping them with homework). I was ready to dive into my MSW after that, although I have to say in retrospect it may have been a good idea to take even more time off.

Financially I can't say I was necessarily better off, but I did get a (small) monthly stipend and completely free room and board. I had no credit cards at the time, and no undergrad loans to repay, so I could live pretty simply. It gave me the opportunity to move to a city I never would have lived in otherwise, which was amazing.

I took some time off before finishing my ba-it wasn't really planned, but life happens. I have to say that the time off was very beneficial and helped me refocus-plus working as a cashier definately motivated me to get back into school.

I just graduated this month with my ba in psychology-only took me 9 years! :D But I am headed straight into graduate school come this fall-no more breaks for me!

I think if you want some out-of-class experience and are ok with taking some time off from school you should, but if you are willing to keep plugging away that wouldn't be so bad either-just be sure to make some time for yourself!

Thanks for the replies.
I most likely will take time off then. I'm only half way through my undergrad and I already feel pretty worn out! I could probably use the mental holiday. :)