Didn't get accepted first time applying-now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

debelli2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if I'm posting this in the correct location but I guess we'll see...

So I applied to 16 schools in July of 2015 for the 2016 cycle. With no invites to interview and only two that I have not heard anything from, I think it's time to chalk this one up as a loss. I graduated from a state school with a 3.33 overall GPA, 3.19 science GPA and a 19AA, 20PAT on my DAT. Obviously I am aware that these numbers aren't the most competitive, which is why I worked extra hard to boost my extracurricular portion of my application. I had plenty of work experience, 60 shadowing hours, research, clubs, volunteer hours, ect.

Since graduation in May of 2015 I have been working at a dental office as first front desk and now assistant. I talked to an admissions advisor from one of the schools I got denied from recently and he advised that I take my DAT again and go back to school. My question-if anyone can help- is what is the best timeline to do all of this? Being that its already April and the 2017 cycle is only months away, I'm wondering if I were to apply in this cycle and take my DAT this summer- would schools still consider me for this cycle if I weren't to start some kind of post-bacc classes until the spring?? Or am I better off waiting until the following cycle(for fall of 2018) because I will have had at least another semester of classes completely finished??

With that also being said, I have been looking into post-bacc programs and have come across a graduate certificate program of 16 credits of biomedical sciences as well as a 34 credit master's of science program in basic medical sciences. I would obviously prefer to do 16 credits as oppose to 34 because of the time and money. Any thoughts on this?

I have also contacted a couple other schools I had applied to get more advice and opinions but am still waiting for responses. If anyone has any advice or input I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

You should up those shadowing hours to above 100. Depends on what you mean by better off. If you want the greatest chance that you'll get in on that cycle you should apply for fall 2018 with new DAT scores and with a good amount of class work. If money to apply is no object then you should apply again and concurrently update DAT, GPA etc. Why wouldn't you start some post-bac classes in the fall? The 16 vs 34 credits kinda depends on whether you were a science major or not and what you feel after asking dental schools they want.

You should up those shadowing hours to above 100. Depends on what you mean by better off. If you want the greatest chance that you'll get in on that cycle you should apply for fall 2018 with new DAT scores and with a good amount of class work. If money to apply is no object then you should apply again and concurrently update DAT, GPA etc. Why wouldn't you start some post-bac classes in the fall? The 16 vs 34 credits kinda depends on whether you were a science major or not and what you feel after asking dental schools they want.

Working at a dental office in this case is almost like a double ended sword for the fact that I'm technically observing 40 hours a week but yet they don't count as shadowing hours- it'll be a little more difficult to get shadowing hours outside of that but I do plan on doing so. And unfortunately the deadline to apply for the fall of both programs has already passed so thats why I said spring because that will be the earliest that I can get in. Unless the deadlines to apply aren't concrete deadlines, but I'm assuming that is not the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are working as an assistant, then you are shadowing. The easiest thing to do is to retake your DAT to offset your lower GPA, and reapply to 20 or so schools to broaden your reach. If I may ask, which schools did you apply to?

Working as an assistant is one thing that will definitely help you when you reapply.

Working at a dental office in this case is almost like a double ended sword for the fact that I'm technically observing 40 hours a week but yet they don't count as shadowing hours- it'll be a little more difficult to get shadowing hours outside of that but I do plan on doing so. And unfortunately the deadline to apply for the fall of both programs has already passed so thats why I said spring because that will be the earliest that I can get in. Unless the deadlines to apply aren't concrete deadlines, but I'm assuming that is not the case.

Obviously it varies by program but the deadlines aren't always hard deadlines. I know Mississippi College's masters program is purported to be flexible if you email/call the director.