Didn't go to class due to depression, anxiety. Dont know what to do moving forward.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidsuave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently a junior at one of the top public universities in CA. My overall GPA as of right now is 3.4 with a couple W's and 3 NPs which i have accumulated in the past 2 quarters mainly because i didn't go to class at all. I am currently doing much better and going to class. However my pass no pass is still worrying me. Do you think medical schools will allow me to explain myself and let it "slide"? What should i do moving forward. Also i had a upward GPA trend up until the past two quarters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No schools let things slide, but there can be compelling explanations.. You need to show that the you of now is not the you of then. If the NPs are in pre-reqs, you'll need to retake them.

Hello everyone, I am currently a junior at one of the top public universities in CA. My overall GPA as of right now is 3.4 with a couple W's and 3 NPs which i have accumulated in the past 2 quarters mainly because i didn't go to class at all. I am currently doing much better and going to class. However my pass no pass is still worrying me. Do you think medical schools will allow me to explain myself and let it "slide"? What should i do moving forward. Also i had a upward GPA trend up until the past two quarters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
No schools let things slide, but there can be compelling explanations.. You need to show that the you of now is not the you of then. If the NPs are in pre-reqs, you'll need to retake them.
How would i show that the you of now is not the you of then? What do i do now that will ensure that they see it that way. BTW i really appreciate what you do on here! you are amazing.

Sustained academic excellence... like a year of acting rigorous coursework, and MCAT as well.

How would i show that the you of now is not the you of then? What do i do now that will ensure that they see it that way. BTW i really appreciate what you do on here! you are amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not apply to medical school until you have finished college. Just plan on taking a year off afterwards. Right now, you are a liability and absolutely no medical school would take you.

You need the time to ace the remainder of your time in college. It will show that you got it straightened out. And if you don't ace it, don't bother applying because you wont get in.

Reactions: 3 users
I would not apply to medical school until you have finished college. Just plan on taking a year off afterwards. Right now, you are a liability and absolutely no medical school would take you.

You need the time to ace the remainder of your time in college. It will show that you got it straightened out. And if you don't ace it, don't bother applying because you wont get in.
What about Acing post bach programs, would that work as well?

What about Acing post bach programs, would that work as well?

If he doesn't ace the rest of his college, he won't ace a post Bacc and should move on with life.

@Jalby seems to be very decisive in his judgments, but I concur with the general sentiment. Taking some time after college to not only prove yourself a more stable adult capable of handling academic and/or professional stress should actually be a good career development and personal talking point for you.

Reactions: 1 user
If he doesn't ace the rest of his college, he won't ace a post Bacc and should move on with life.
What makes you think I won't be able to ACE a post bacc

@Jalby seems to be very decisive in his judgments, but I concur with the general sentiment. Taking some time after college to not only prove yourself a more stable adult capable of handling academic and/or professional stress should actually be a good career development and personal talking point for you.
I do plan on taking some time off to work on my EC's and basically take a break from school.