Didn’t match - Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a few very good GPR programs because I didn’t want to waste my time doing a 5th year of dental school. I only ranked two programs, so unsurprisingly didn’t match. I became interested in oral surgery during the 4th year of dental school, which is pretty late, GPR would be a good year for me gain some hospital experience and gives me time to prepare for the CBSE. It’d be tough to study CBSE during omfs internship. However, I don’t know if those GPR programs with unfilled positions are good because there isn’t much information online. Should I just go to work, and start making money while preparing for the CBSE?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, you didn't match!
Yes. Just work!
but like OMFS programs like when people did hospital GPR/AGED/Non-CAT

If you want to match OMFS you should secure a non cat internship and start grinding for the cbse to take in July. Don’t worry about not having as much time in an internship because the bulk of your studying is done before you’d even start. If you want a non cat though the shot clock is running. You’d need to reach out to programs asap. Programs will look more favorably on a noncat than a gpr

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want DM me I had a similar situation to yours, currently PGY1 OMFS.

Most non-cat spots are taken by now. Case Western still has non-cat spots. We take it pretty easy on the non-cats so they can study. I’d recommend a non-cat instead of GPR if your goal is to match

Reactions: 1 user
We take it pretty easy on the non-cats so they can study.

red-fishing-buoy-flags-on-the-boat-moored-in-the-royalty-free-image-1634140803.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
don't do the non-cat if they don't offer sedations or you don't have a good score. Everyone else here is offering bad info. You are better off doing a gpr/aegd.

Also, doesn't the Case Western non-cat make you pay money? **** that.

Get a high score, then do the non-cat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user