Difference between these application situations

Started by Phile98
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phile98

perpetually worried about the road not taken...
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm laying out two potential situations I can be in, but I just want to make sure I have the timelines correct here:

Situation 1:
Takes MCAT late May
Submits Primary June 10 to one throwaway school to get verified early
Gets MCAT back late June
Gets verified ~July 10, submits primary to all schools July 11
Pre-writes secondaries and submits July 15

Situation 2:
Takes MCAT early May
Gets MCAT score and submits primary to all schools June 10
Gets verified ~July 10
Pre-writes secondaries and submits July 15

Would both these students receive their secondary from med schools at the same time, given they pass the screens?
They're both verified at the same time, does it matter when they submit primary?
 
No it doesnt matter
Gotcha. I always wondered, why do some people take the MCAT late and submit primaries to ALL schools before they get the score back? Isn't it wiser to just do one?
 
I'm laying out two potential situations I can be in, but I just want to make sure I have the timelines correct here:

Situation 1:
Takes MCAT late May
Submits Primary June 10 to one throwaway school to get verified early
Gets MCAT back late June
Gets verified ~July 10, submits primary to all schools July 11
Pre-writes secondaries and submits July 15

Situation 2:
Takes MCAT early May
Gets MCAT score and submits primary to all schools June 10
Gets verified ~July 10
Pre-writes secondaries and submits July 15

Would both these students receive their secondary from med schools at the same time, given they pass the screens?
They're both verified at the same time, does it matter when they submit primary?
I agree with my learned colleague, but just want to point out that a later test date gives you more prep time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gotcha. I always wondered, why do some people take the MCAT late and submit primaries to ALL schools before they get the score back? Isn't it wiser to just do one?
May be they are confident about their score? Some of them score very close to their practice scores.
 
And some people buy GameStop at $350.
This^^^^^^. Submitting primaries (other than a throwaway) without having a MCAT score is a high risk, low reward strategy, probably employed by people who either don't understand or care about the risk, particularly since, other than this cycle, their application will never be reviewed without a score anyway.
 
Gotcha. I always wondered, why do some people take the MCAT late and submit primaries to ALL schools before they get the score back? Isn't it wiser to just do one?
In my case, it was actually because of FAP. You only get the first 20 free primary applications if you do it all at once. So what I did was just apply super broadly, and then after I got my MCAT scores back, I added a couple more schools that matched my stats better. Definitely always avoid doing that if possible. I was super stressed out while preparing for the MCAT for that reason. Actually, my practice exams were pretty far from my target score for most of the schools. But to my surprise, I felt much better on the actual exam day and got 96th percentile.