• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

NuclearWhammy

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi all,

I know it's a really vague question, yet I can not get it answered by myself. What is the difference between higher and lower ranked Med. Schools, and how are they even ranked? I can see that Yale S.O.M. would be classier than lets say Morningwood academy behind Gods back, Does it make a difference in finding a residency? Pay grade? ease of acceptance?
Side note: I'm 24 and still behind with my core pre-req courses, so reapplying over and over would not be ideal. I'm not naïve, I know that there is no sure fire way of getting into med. schools, but I'm looking at schools that are easier to get into. More acceptance means more applicants also, cheaper schools dealing with over 10k applicants at times.

About the Ads

KungFuPanda123

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

I know it's a really vague question, yet I can not get it answered by myself. What is the difference between higher and lower ranked Med. Schools, and how are they even ranked? I can see that Yale S.O.M. would be classier than lets say Morningwood academy behind Gods back, Does it make a difference in finding a residency? Pay grade? ease of acceptance?
Side note: I'm 24 and still behind with my core pre-req courses, so reapplying over and over would not be ideal. I'm not naïve, I know that there is no sure fire way of getting into med. schools, but I'm looking at schools that are easier to get into. More acceptance means more applicants also, cheaper schools dealing with over 10k applicants at times.
Most people use US News & Reports. They explain their methodologies there.

A big factor is research, which should be pretty obvious for a research university. This includes things like amount of NIH grant money received. Higher ranked institutions have a ton of research happening with leaders in their fields, getting published in high-impact journals. They also have great access to a variety of hospitals for their medical students to do rotations in. They also look at the quality of entering medical students in trying to objectively determine a school's rank (i.e. MCAT/GPA).

Rank does matter for finding a residency. That being sad, the difference between #43 and #55 isn't going to be a make-or-break for getting into the residency you want to get into, just like how the difference between #3 and #7 probably isn't that much either. But a #10 vs #40 does matter (to an extent). There are too many things that change year-to-year to differentiate schools based off of a couple differences in rank. Oh, X school got $100 million in money from a nice donor to put into research and nicer facilities? Rank's gonna jump up. Aw, Y school lost its relationship with Z teaching hospital? Rank's gonna drop down.

It tends to be easier to find residency within your school's network since your rotations will be done there, and they'll get to know you better as a result. That being said, the country is your oyster if you do well in your classes, STEP, and get solid letters of rec.

I'm not in med school myself, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm just kind of summarizing everything that I've heard from peers/mentors over the years.

piii

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
In general, every school is really hard to get into. All the high stat kids are applying to top schools and make them really competitive. But all the lower stat kids are applying to their target schools. The acceptance rates are virtually the same. Even high stat kids may not get accepted to low tier schools because of yield protection, unless you're a power bottom like @NotASerialKiller .

Generally, the top schools have more funding and access to research, and work with some of the top hospitals in the country. Rankings are primarily based on research funding, but also residency director score and stats, etc. Don't trust the rankings too much, there aren't as big of differences from 20-60 or what ever.

Reactions: NotASerialKiller

Lawpy

Exit 24
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
Replacement Chat
forums.studentdoctor.net

NuclearWhammy

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
OK now. I just looked up power bottom and the joke hit me. Nope that wasn't the plan :wtf:
After reading your posts to other threads it all makes sense now....

Reactions: JessebenBenjamin
About the Ads