You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Differences between MD and DO
Started by Technorino
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Wait for it...
DOs have to be supervised by MDs.
They are basically like PAs but are allowed to do some simple suturing and things of that nature.
Hope that helps!
They are basically like PAs but are allowed to do some simple suturing and things of that nature.
Hope that helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DOs have to be supervised by MDs.
They are basically like PAs but are allowed to do some simple suturing and things of that nature.
Hope that helps!
Sarcasm? Please?
MD = Allopathic Medicine (More traditional "Western" Medicine, with focus on treating symptoms/diseases)
DO = Osteopathic Medicine (More holistic approach...heal the whole body, etc.)
In general, this is a subjective matter. Which alignment do you agree with more? I think you'll find more people familiar with MD's than DO's. If you were to get a DO, you would probably have at least a few situations in your career where people thought they were getting substandard care....simply because of their ignorance.
DO = Osteopathic Medicine (More holistic approach...heal the whole body, etc.)
In general, this is a subjective matter. Which alignment do you agree with more? I think you'll find more people familiar with MD's than DO's. If you were to get a DO, you would probably have at least a few situations in your career where people thought they were getting substandard care....simply because of their ignorance.
Hey,
Don't want to start a flame war but I just want to learn.
The differences and benefits of each degree? (MD vs DO)
Advantages / Disadvantages? Would patients prefer MD more than DO?
thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States
Sarcasm? Please?
Can DOs not suture?
I thought they could..
My apologies
MD = Allopathic Medicine (More traditional "Western" Medicine, with focus on treating symptoms/diseases)
DO = Osteopathic Medicine (More holistic approach...heal the whole body, etc.)
In general, this is a subjective matter. Which alignment do you agree with more? I think you'll find more people familiar with MD's than DO's. If you were to get a DO, you would probably have at least a few situations in your career where people thought they were getting substandard care....simply because of their ignorance.
I'm under the impression that a DO is less wanted than an MD simply because people apply to DO schools if they can't get into MD schools.
Is it true that MD is greater than DO? Is it possible to go DO but focus on "Western" Medicine?
thanks for the first real response.
This has to be a record. Usually it's a race to see who can be the first to post that "please do not feed the troll" sign, the popcorn-eating-smiley, and that stupid dancing lock.
Great question!
I have never been able to find any other threads like this with the search function.
I have never been able to find any other threads like this with the search function.
I see your :troll:This has to be a record. Usually it's a race to see who can be the first to post that "please do not feed the troll" sign, the popcorn-eating-smiley, and that stupid dancing lock.


The eight post down is from SDN. So that goes to show, please use the search box.
I'm under the impression that a DO is less wanted than an MD simply because people apply to DO schools if they can't get into MD schools.
Is it true that MD is greater than DO? Is it possible to go DO but focus on "Western" Medicine?
thanks for the first real response.
It is implied that the core curricula of both MD and DO programs are similar, if not the same. The only real difference is the approach. IMO, you aren't gonna develop your style of diagnosis/treatment until residency. Therefore, I would think you could go DO, bust tail, and try for MD or MD/DO residencies.
http://www.studentdoctor.net/do/mdordo.asp
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DOs have to be supervised by MDs.
They are basically like PAs but are allowed to do some simple suturing and things of that nature.
Hope that helps!
You might thing you're funny, but you're not. All you do is confuse newbies and people who genuinely don't know what a DO is.
You might thing you're funny, but you're not. All you do is confuse newbies and people who genuinely don't know what a DO is.
actually his post was funny. Anyone dumb enough to take his one post and consider it as fact is a ****...
I'm under the impression that a DO is less wanted than an MD simply because people apply to DO schools if they can't get into MD schools.
Is it true that MD is greater than DO? Is it possible to go DO but focus on "Western" Medicine?
thanks for the first real response.
Please tell me you're joking. DO schools are exactly like MD schools, except they have one extra class which focuses on musculoskeletal treatments through manipulation. That's it. Everything else is exactly the same.
actually his post was funny. Anyone dumb enough to take his one post and consider it as fact is a ****...
Why would it be unlikely that someone who's never heard of a DO would believe that a DO is like a PA? It wasn't funny. It was stupid.
Serious post: Can DO's specialize in things like primary care stuff like psychiatry, internal meds etc (anything but surgery)?
DOs can specialize in ANYTHING.
Why would it be unlikely that someone who's never heard of a DO would believe that a DO is like a PA? It wasn't funny. It was stupid.
I'm plenty calm. I just think that if people didn't fan the flames by putting out false information, maybe there wouldn't be so much ignorance out there about the two degrees.
These threads are so predictable. Someone asks about MD vs DO and the remainder of the thread people post stupid pictures and make sarcastic remarks. Oh boy
I'm plenty calm. I just think that if people didn't fan the flames by putting out false information, maybe there wouldn't be so much ignorance out there about the two degrees.
Just because you're going DO doesn't mean you have to defend the sanctity of it against every post that pokes fun. You're only going to get more mad.
Just because you're going DO doesn't mean you have to defend the sanctity of it against every post that pokes fun. You're only going to get more mad.
First off, I'm open to DO, but that doesn't mean I'm definitely going DO. Second, I'm not defending it just because I know what it is. I'm saying that it's stupid to post things that aren't true when all it's going to do is fan the flames and lead to 100 more posts about this same topic.
Serious post: Can DO's specialize in things like primary care stuff like psychiatry, internal meds etc (anything but surgery)?
DO's can specialize in surgery too..
so don't worry, if u're a dedicated DO student, u can as successful as a MD student (minus derm/rad)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DO's can specialize in surgery too..
so don't worry, if u're a dedicated DO student, u can as successful as a MD student (minus derm/rad)
Tell that to all the DOs who matched allo derm/rad last month.
Tell that to all the DOs who matched allo derm/rad last month.
ummm wow.
8 rad-diag, 0 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 1
31 rad-diag, 1 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 2
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf
page 13.
Someone asks about MD vs DO and the remainder of the thread people post stupid pictures and make sarcastic remarks. Oh boy
Those are the DOs that used the NRMP. There are also AOA residency programs.ummm wow.
8 rad-diag, 0 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 1
31 rad-diag, 1 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 2
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf
page 13.
DO's can specialize in ANYTHING. Anecdotally, there is at least one DO in just about every traditionally competitive specialty at the hospital where I work. The head of our radiology department is a DO. IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER.
Those are the DOs that used the NRMP. There are also AOA residency programs.
He was responding to this:
Tell that to all the DOs who matched allo derm/rad last month.
That's why he cited NRMP data.
ummm wow.
8 rad-diag, 0 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 1
31 rad-diag, 1 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 2
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf
page 13.
Two DO's matched radonc PGY2 this year (at Baylor and UTSA). I'm not sure why they didn't show up on this list.
He was responding to this:
That's why he cited NRMP data.
Ah, I totally missed the "allo" in there.
ummm wow.
8 rad-diag, 0 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 1
31 rad-diag, 1 derm, 0 rad-onco PGY 2
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf
page 13.
I didn't realize they let illiterate people post on SDN. What about my post didn't you understand?
Tell that to all the DOs who matched allo derm/rad last month.
AZCOM's match list -- allo derm at...wait for it...Mayo Clinic. Allo rad onc at Baylor.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...100745,-88.286133&spn=11.124826,23.225098&z=6
Now, before you spout more lies, why don't you take the time to check your facts?
He was responding to this:
That's why he cited NRMP data.
It's a shame he saw the "allo," but didn't see the "last month." Unless, of course, he thinks it's still 2009.
Two DO's matched radonc PGY2 this year (at Baylor and UTSA). I'm not sure why they didn't show up on this list.
Because the list is from 2009.
this post goes out to corpsman... USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.
This thread has outlived it's usefulness. Closing.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 651
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K
