Different programs for international dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an international dentist who is currently doing research. I haven't done any boards exam or GRE yet, and I'm planning to apply to ortho residency the next cycle. But to be honest, I'm getting tired of doing research. Is there any other programs (no residency) maybe clinical fellowship or missions that you can do for 1 year? If I apply next cycle to ortho and if everything goes well, I will be starting residency in the summer 2020, so that's why I would like to find something instead of more research.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, Ninna . Can i ask you how you got research oppurtunity and what to do research on?

Most of the fellowships which are in Ortho department have research as a part of it....but yes, they focus on clinical experience for the enrolled student. I applied to several of them, but they offer J-1 visa....if you are a permanent resident then you can definitely try for those programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hi, Ninna . Can i ask you how you got research oppurtunity and what to do research on?

Hi,
In this website National Research Service Award Institutional Research Training Grants (T32, T90/R90) | National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research you can find which schools have the program I am (R90 research fellowship) which is a fellowship for international dentist that would like to do research in the US.
Also, with your international dentist degree, you can apply for post-doctoral fellow positions. This will be a little hard to get if you do not have previous research experience, but you never know if you find a lab that is willing to train a fellow from zero.

I work with electron microscopy.

Hi all,

I'm an international dentist who is currently doing research. I haven't done any boards exam or GRE yet, and I'm planning to apply to ortho residency the next cycle. But to be honest, I'm getting tired of doing research. Is there any other programs (no residency) maybe clinical fellowship or missions that you can do for 1 year? If I apply next cycle to ortho and if everything goes well, I will be starting residency in the summer 2020, so that's why I would like to find something instead of more research.

Thank you in advance.
Yes, there are. Try searching for an Internship or a Fellowship, but you should also consider doing a Residency. There are many combined programs, and by that I mean Residency+PhD or MS. Try the search engine of ADEA PASS and see what course may fit you.

Note: I forgot to mentioned, but the GRE (for MS & PhD tracks) and the TOEFL are very likely to be required; and maybe the NBDE.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love