Different Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is applying to one university but two of their programs frowned upon? For example, clinical with xyz poi and social with zyx poi? The logic is they have different gpa requirements therefore, the probability of getting into one is more likely than the other. In addition, I have an interest and do research in both areas.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I would say yes it's frowned upon, they will definitely ask you why you're applying to both reasons and I'm not sure mentioning your less than ideal GPA will be the best reason in their eyes. It also depends A LOT on the relationship between the two programs. If there is overlap in classes and research already, and faculty in both programs work together already, it may be no big deal and it may seem obvious to them why you would be interested in both. If they generally operate within the same building or department but don't interact and see themselves as distinct programs with different goals and different requirements, then they may look at you as being unclear about your goals. E-mailing current grad students and asking about the relationship between faculty in the two programs might be a good way to find out this info beforehand. Either way, if you think that's what's best for you, you should do it, but be prepared to explain yourself.

Read carefully and even ask, because some schools (such as Northwestern) do not allow you to apply to more than one program within an application period. Make sure this school is not one of them!

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely run the risk of the program not taking you seriously if this happens. If the two areas are related, you might contact the professor to ask about potential collaborative opportunities, but I think applying to two areas in the same department is not a good plan, and the GPA issue is definitely not going to be a good excuse. Unless they're completely different departments (e.g. one is a counseling program in the school of education), they are very likely to find out about it, and even if they are in completely different departments you run that risk.

There's the possibility it will go fine, but its chancy. There are probably better ways to go about it.

I'll take the advice and just apply to one program at each institution.

Thanks everybody.....:)

I think it'll depend on the particular place. In some universities, the programs are entirely distinct. During my application process, I was accepted into two programs at one university. I'd call the department(s) to check what the expectations are there.

What were the two?