Different than what you expected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those currently in/finished with dental school, is dental school more difficult or less difficult than you expected? Course load, difficulty and amount of information...you know, all that good stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, it's been much less difficult than I expected. And overall, it hasn't been difficult at all (although there have been isolated moments of sheer frustration).

Your mileage will vary, of course.

It's more difficult than what I had anticipated

Members don't see this ad :)
psiyung said:
It's more difficult than what I had anticipated

It was much, much, much more difficult that I had anticipated.

I echo gavin. Much easier that I thought. Granted, its time consuming but if you are willing to put in the TIME.... being up there in the rankings is not too difficult. Good luck! :luck:

ajmacgregor said:
It was much, much, much more difficult that I had anticipated.
I'm with psiyung and AJM. I'm glad I'm here and finally looking at the downhill side, but if I'd known what the first two years would be like before I'd gotten started, I probably wouldn't have done it. Ignorance was bliss in my case, and definitely led to a better outcome.

aphistis said:
I'm with psiyung and AJM. I'm glad I'm here and finally looking at the downhill side, but if I'd known what the first two years would be like before I'd gotten started, I probably wouldn't have done it. Ignorance was bliss in my case, and definitely led to a better outcome.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but both Gavin and unlvdmd are from new schools, Arizona and UNLV, does that mean anything?

Profchaos said:
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but both Gavin and unlvdmd are from new schools, Arizona and UNLV, does that mean anything?

I was about to say the same thing....the people who say that its easy seem to be coming from the new schools that havent graduated a class yet...

personally, I think that dental school was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder than I thought it would be.....

The only good thing is that I dont care about my grades so much the way I did during undergrad!

Dr.BadVibes said:
I was about to say the same thing....the people who say that its easy seem to be coming from the new schools that havent graduated a class yet...

personally, I think that dental school was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder than I thought it would be.....

The only good thing is that I dont care about my grades so much the way I did during undergrad!
That is indeed a very good thing. The problem I have with dental school is the sheer quantity of information you have to absorb in one semester. It's beyond the realm of ridiculous because you are basically storing stuff in the short term memory bank as you prepare for one test and then another, and another, ...etc

The act gets tired after a while and sometimes you feel like shouting out, WTF does this have to do with dentistry :laugh:

Of course it is hard, but what is hard about it is the time factor and fitting it all in. The material isn't hard, its the quantity. Doing well is about self discipline. If you are able to sit yourself down for 5 hours every night and study your stuff, then that is all you need to be at the top of your game. We all take the same boards, we all study the same material. So a new school doesn't mean anything. That is just ridiculous. Maybe I just think school is easier than I thought because one of my best skills is time management. ??? Dunno, but thats just my opinion.

Definitely harder than expected. Just when you think it will lighten up, there's something new. I'm starting my last year and will have to juggle clinic, lab work, some classes, and the new challenge of applying to residency. It's all worth it in the end.

It's all relative. Some people in dschool are simply there to learn what they need to know and if they get a B or C they take it all in stride. They will study for a certain amount of time and what they get---- is what they get---no sweatin' about it. I have several friends that had jobs all four years of dschool. One poured beer, one at Wal-Mart, (working 15-20hrs wk) etc... Point is-----it's what you make of it and how much of a perfectionist you are. I don't feel that they are any less of a dentist, in fact, they may have learned more not wasting their time with all the minutia :laugh: Wanting to specialize and needing to be high in your class rank brings on a whole new set of stressors----so it depends.

In the end, nearly everyone survives :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSSlave said:
Definitely harder than expected. Just when you think it will lighten up, there's something new. I'm starting my last year and will have to juggle clinic, lab work, some classes, and the new challenge of applying to residency. It's all worth it in the end.

Let the grind begin DDSSlave..... :eek: The final push can seem unforgiving. The juggling is ridiculous: Boards II, Licensure Exam, clinic requirements, patient headaches, lab, classes, application for specialty, interviewing, not knowing where you'll end-up or if you'll end-up landing a spot, what to do if you don't......................well you get the point :eek:

You'll be fine but buckle down :D

Dr.BadVibes said:

So my next question is, if facing a relatively easier (newer) school and a relatively harder school where high ranks are more difficult to obtain, which would you choose?

Profchaos said:
So my next question is, if facing a relatively easier (newer) school and a relatively harder school where high ranks are more difficult to obtain, which would you choose?

I would goto the easier school and work my butt off for the boards

Dr.BadVibes said:
I would goto the easier school and work my butt off for the boards

Really depends if you want to specialize don't you think?

SLIMDEETS said:
Can you be more specific?
Depends if you want to specialize, then what?
In my opinion, if you want to specialize, rank and boards are the most important things.

I imagine if one has the requirements and even have taken some upper division sciences such as physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and micrbobiology, than doesn't that make dental school easier. For example, if I had a course in biochemistry in undergrade, wouldn't a biochemistry course in dental school be like a review/refresher course? Hence, dental school really isn't that hard.

I know there is bunch of hand skills, and specific courses in tooth anatomy which people wouldn't have beforehand, and yes, that would make dental school hard.

SLIMDEETS said:

I'd say that, 99% of the time, where you go to school makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE when applying to specialty programs.

A 95+ on NBDE 1 is a 95+, no matter whether you're from Creighton, Arizona, or Harvard.

Bottom line - go where you feel comfortable. It will be challenging no matter where you go.

ajmacgregor said:
I'd say that, 99% of the time, where you go to school makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE when applying to specialty programs.

A 95+ on NBDE 1 is a 95+, no matter whether you're from Creighton, Arizona, or Harvard.
I agree. The board score is all that matters because it's the only valid equalizer. A 95 from Univ of Wherever demonstrates a better mastery of material than a 93 from Harvard. Nobody gives a damn about Harvard except Harvard students.

toofache32 said:
I agree. The board score is all that matters because it's the only valid equalizer. A 95 from Univ of Wherever demonstrates a better mastery of material than a 93 from Harvard. Nobody gives a damn about Harvard except Harvard students.
"A 95 from Univ of Wherever demonstrates a better mastery of material than a 93 from Harvard."
True.
"Nobody gives a damn about Harvard except Harvard students."
Uh... Harvard is a good school.

Profchaos said:
"A 95 from Univ of Wherever demonstrates a better mastery of material than a 93 from Harvard."
True.
"Nobody gives a damn about Harvard except Harvard students."
Uh... Harvard is a good school.

Harvard is a good dental school. The following are also good dental schools:

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health

Baylor College of Dentistry, A Member of The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center

Boston University, Goldman School of Dental Medicine

Case School of Dental Medicine

Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery

Creighton University School of Dentistry

Howard University College of Dentistry

Indiana University School of Dentistry

Loma Linda University School of Dentistry

Louisiana State University School of Dentistry

Marquette University School of Dentistry

Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry

Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine

Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry

New York University College of Dentistry

Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine

Ohio State University College of Dentistry

Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry

Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry

Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine

Stony Brook University

Temple University School of Dentistry

Tufts University School of Dental Medicine

University at Buffalo

University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry

University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry

University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry

University of Colorado School of Dentistry

University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine

University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry

University of Florida College of Dentistry

University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry

University of Iowa College of Dentistry

University of Kentucky College of Dentistry

University of Louisville School of Dentistry

University of Maryland, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School

University of Michigan School of Dentistry

University of Minnesota School of Dentistry

University of Mississippi School of Dentistry

University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry

University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Dentistry

University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry

University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry

University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

University of Puerto Rico, School of Dentistry

University of Southern California School of Dentistry

University of Tennessee College of Dentistry

University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Dental Branch

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School

University of Washington School of Dentistry

University of West Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry

nothen2do said:
For all those currently in/finished with dental school, is dental school more difficult or less difficult than you expected? Course load, difficulty and amount of information...you know, all that good stuff.

I think it varies with what you came in expecting and what you were used to in undergrad. I came in expecting to have to study 24/7 to survive, and have found that I don't have to study 24/7 so I would say it is not as hard as I expected. It really depends on what you are expecting and how well you want to do in school. If you want to just pass and don't care if you are in the bottom 10 % of your class, you will most likely have to study a lot less than someone who wants to be #1 in your class.

jk5177 said:
I imagine if one has the requirements and even have taken some upper division sciences such as physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and micrbobiology, than doesn't that make dental school easier. For example, if I had a course in biochemistry in undergrade, wouldn't a biochemistry course in dental school be like a review/refresher course? Hence, dental school really isn't that hard.

I know there is bunch of hand skills, and specific courses in tooth anatomy which people wouldn't have beforehand, and yes, that would make dental school hard.

From someone who had lots of undergraduate experience in these courses in addition to 2 years of independent study cadaver dissection in HIGH SCHOOL prior to that, I would guess about half of the 1500+ identifiable structures we were responsible for in gross anatomy I had never heard of.

And better yet, every class is that way. You go into it thinking you know everything only to realize that there is much more you don't even know you don't know.

Ignorance is such bliss. I'd wait till you got your feet wet before stating that dental school "really isn't that hard."

jk5177 said:

Not nececessarily. I had anatomy in undergrad with an emphasis on pretty much the entire body except the head and neck. In undergrad animal physiology we completley skipped renal, liver, GI, and most of the major systems. The dude loved action potentials, though :thumbdown:

I did not take biochem in undergrad, but my classmates who did said undergrad focused on the chemistry aspects of bio"chemistry", whereas dental biochemistry for me seemed to emphasize research/experimental applications. Microbiology in undergrad focused more on the basics with less emphasis on microorganisms. Undergrad micro gave us a little of a lot. In dental school we got a lot of a lot :rolleyes: It's really school and professor dependent.

Dental school has not been too bad, just front-end loaded with a lot of courses that make you question why we have to take them. I think of it all as adding to a tool bag. The more I have in it the better able I will be able to hopefully adapt to any random scenario I may end up in down the road. This is obviouslly my way of stretching to find meaning :laugh:

I think your first two years depends on your prep in undergrad and/or industry. I know some people who chose majors like political science, sociology or psych and took the pre reqs. Thier strategy was to beef up thier GPA and try to nail the DAT to get in. This is a perfectly legitamate strategy, but they should know that once they are in, it's time to pay the piper. If you go the true bioscience route and even better do some research, then you will find that most of the first two years is building on a foundation that is already well under way. Otherwise you pretty much start from scratch and it is very callenging. Clinic is a whole other ball of wax. If there is a predicter, it is if you have some fine motor skill hobby or vocation. Scrimshaw, miniatures, model building, cross stitch etc. I know it sound weird but I was asked in my interview if I had and hobby or experience that led me to believe I was capable of mastering the hand skills of dentistry. It is nice if you have some sort of anecdote to demonstrate this.

nothen2do said:

I thought dental school was going to be a piece of cake. Whoa, was I wrong. I don't think I've ever been more wrong in my life!

I feel like hygienists have an advantage because they have had head and neck, anesthesia, and have no problem gettin SRP done in the time slot early on. I think that they have a good edge on the rest of us in the beginning considering the hand skills they have already developed being in the mouth.

unlvdmd said:
I feel like hygienists have an advantage because they have had head and neck, anesthesia, and have no problem gettin SRP done in the time slot early on. I think that they have a good edge on the rest of us in the beginning considering the hand skills they have already developed being in the mouth.

I absolutley agree. Nevertheless, it's neither a good nor bad advantage, since our PRU (preventive recall--prophies, scaling, probing...) rotations are P/F. It definatley sucks when you have to reschedule a cleaning appointment :laugh:

personally, one week into gross anatomy and it seems that it is as hard as I expected...ton of stuff to memorize................................and learn......................ugghgghghg

JakeMUSC said:
personally, one week into gross anatomy and it seems that it is as hard as I expected...ton of stuff to memorize................................and learn......................ugghgghghg
wait till you get to head and neck

psiyung said:
wait till you get to head and neck

Holy crap!

Sounds like dental school is what the beaver says when he swims into concrete. "That's dam hard!"