Different types of pubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aclamity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a general "order of importance" among different types of pubs, such as clinical vs. basic science vs. review vs. case series vs. case reports vs. 1st author vs. non-1st author? I suspect there is, but would like to know the consensus on the order. Or is it the case that residency directors just look at most pubs equally? I've just been working my butt off for the past 2 years to get out a basic science pub (first author thankfully), while some people in my class already have 6 or 7 review articles and case studies. Wondering if I made the right choice

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but prob not. although you're still in good shape.

Is there a general "order of importance" among different types of pubs, such as clinical vs. basic science vs. review vs. case series vs. case reports vs. 1st author vs. non-1st author? I suspect there is, but would like to know the consensus on the order. Or is it the case that residency directors just look at most pubs equally? I've just been working my butt off for the past 2 years to get out a basic science pub (first author thankfully), while some people in my class already have 6 or 7 review articles and case studies. Wondering if I made the right choice

I'm not sure if a first author basic science pub is better or worse than half a dozen review articles and case studies, I would guess it varies with the residency program. I do know that either one, during medical school, is a very impressive accomplishment that in most schools will easily puts you in the top 10% of your class in terms of research. Most people have nothing, or a poster presentation, or maybe they manage to glom their name on to a case report as a fourth author. Be proud of your accomplishment and don't worry about that one guy who somehow managed to produce a publication every 60 days

Members don't see this ad :)
clinical vs. basic science vs. review vs. case series vs. case reports

the first two are research publications and the last 3 are not ....it's an important distinction

obviously 1st author > 2nd author > all others

the first two are research publications and the last 3 are not ....it's an important distinction

obviously 1st author > 2nd author > all others

I would consider a case series clinical research and, for many situations, even a case report.

What exactly is the difference between putting out an abstract vs. poster vs. published research? I never really understood the distinction.

I thought that this was going to be about different types of bars.

I would consider a case series clinical research and, for many situations, even a case report.

a case report is not research... nor is a case series. Both are merely descriptions that may lead to research (hypothesis driven work).

1st>2nd>other authors. Granted sometimes the last author is actually the one who is the lead/famous guy though.

Just beware OP that when you put down research you better be able to explain your exact role. Don't embellish or it'll hurt you. And imo research that you are more involved with whether you have a pub at the point of applications or not is > some random paper you got your name on for doing a small part of the work.

British pubs are generally better than u.s. pubs.
you can't get a good shepherds pie in a us pub.....:)

What exactly is the difference between putting out an abstract vs. poster vs. published research? I never really understood the distinction.

Publishing means publishing in a peer reviewed journal, which means that several experts in the subject you are publishing in have reviewed your paper,given you suggestions to improve it, reviewed your revision in response to their suggestions, and ultimately decided your study and write up had scientific merit.

A poster or abstract is a much lower standard. It generally means one researcher organizing a presentation has reviewed your research for the conference and thinks its worthy of merit.

for the most part:

first author > second author > third author, etc (last author is usually PI so that's important also)

basic science > clinical studies

prospective > retrospective

publication > abstract at conference

oral presentation at national conference > poster presentation at national conference

national conference > regional conference > medical school research conference

peer-reviewed > not-peer reviewed

indexed in pubmed > not indexed in pubmed

publications in NEJM, Nature, Science > publications in specialty-specific journals > your medical school or university-sponsored journal

original research > review article = book chapter (depends on book and whether its peer-reviewed) > case report

obviously there are exceptions, getting a clinical science project in NEJM even if you are 10th author as a medical student is unique...

and for person who asked earlier, abstracts are usually submitted to conferences and are reviewed by 1 or 2 people, and either accepted as an oral presentation or a poster presentation or just outright rejected. Research that hasn't been completely finished is often submitted as an abstract since there is not enough data to publish the research. The more conclusive data that you have the more likely you will be chosen as an oral presentation over a poster presentation. On the other hand, a research publication is for "substantial" research that offers enough to tell a "story" (i.e. meaningful conclusions can be drawn from the data) and submissions are often critically reviewed by multiple reviewers/experts in the field and may require multiple rounds of revisions before being accepted for publication.

Last edited:
Your suspicion is right on. One of the publications I was on my first year I had third author. However, I don't even list it on my CV because frankly it's embarrassing combined with the journal it was published in. Since you only have one publication, it will look better than doing nothing at all, especially because residency directors are going to wonder what you did during that time.