Different versions of the PCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkiePharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the PCAT last October and I scored a composite of about 75. My math score was awful so Im working on that and Im taking the August test. When the test were handed out we had to write down the version we were given ( I think designated by a letter) Anyhow, does anyone know if they are all the same test but the questions are in different order or is it possible that I may take a much harder or easier test than the person sitting next to me. And.. are these tests graded differently dependent on the difficulty level? I was reading about this somewhere and I couldnt find the thread.
Thanks in advance.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think I know the thread you were referred to in your post.

Basically, here's the pertinent passage from the PCAT Candidate Information Booklet:

Different forms of any test may vary somewhat in difficulty. Because of the differences in difficulty between different forms of the PCAT, the same raw scores (number of test items answered correctly) obtained for the five multiple-choice subtests on different test forms are not necessarily equivalent. Using the statistical process of equating, it is possible to express scores in comparable terms across different forms of the test. Scaled scores are used for this purpose. The scaled scores reported for the five PCAT multiple choice subtests range from 200 to 600, with a median of 400 (i.e., a scaled score of 400 corresponds to the 50th percentile).

In addition to the multiple-choice subtest scaled scores, your personal Score Report will list five subtest percentiles and a Composite percentile. The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003—with scaled scores lower than yours. No percentile is reported for the Writing subtest.

Translation through an example: If you miss ten questions on the bio section, it doesn't mean that your neighbor with a different form of the exam will get the same exact score as you if he misses ten questions too. If you have a more difficult exam than he has, the scale will be set so that you have a higher scaled score, and in turn, percentile score than he will have for the same number of questions missed.

That's how Harcourt manages different forms with different difficulty levels. In general, they try to make the exam where there isn't a huge difference in difficulty across forms. There will always be variances across forms though, but the challenge ought to be similar across sections of the PCAT.

Why would you want to retake your PCAT? For the most schools your score is perfectly fine. I wish I could get that!:)

ThanksChokita!
I was very happy with my score but I did so poorly on the math that I have to retake it. The test was very very stressful for me and Im not too proud to say that I cried with frustration for a couple hours afterwards. I studied with a Barrons book that was two years old and needless to say I was not prepared for the math section. The school I want to go to requires at least a 25 on each sub section and I didnt score that. I did however to very well on the rest. Like a lot of us I have so much to gain and so much to lose with this test. I have thought about applying to other schools but I have 4 kids and we dont have any extra money. I dont know how we could move. Im babbling now but Im at the moment about physically ill over taking this test again. Im trying to relax. HA!
I have about 5 new study books now. I dont want to do worse.

Omnione, thanks for the info.Im not sure if it makes me feel better or worse. Ill just keep studying.
Your name reminds me of a sci-fi magazine called omni. I havent seen it for years but I loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools look at the overall, few schools look at each section. If it makes you feel better, then you should retake the test, but I wouldn't if I were you. I just hated the PCAT. I really think it's pointless.

OkiePharmD, I totally understand your frustration. You did a great job: having 4 kids, you still managed to get this pretty high score. Have you thought about talking to your admission committee and ask them openly what your chances are without taking another test?