Difficult to dilate patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugdogs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking input regarding approx. percentage of patients that need to be re-dropped to fully dilate. Our difficult to dilate patients seem to be increasing; pathology, pigmentation, and injury account for the problems - but the percentage seems to be increasing. We have not changed gtts or technique.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I am seeking input regarding approx. percentage of patients that need to be re-dropped to fully dilate. Our difficult to dilate patients seem to be increasing; pathology, pigmentation, and injury account for the problems - but the percentage seems to be increasing. We have not changed gtts or technique.

Thanks for your input.

What is your current population mix of patients?

I have a general ophthalmology practice and my re-drop rate is very low (i.e., I rarely re-drop patients). I use a combination of phenylephrine and tropicamide.

As you stated above, severe diabetes, previous trauma, and darkly pigmented eyes may require longer times for full dilation.

I have a couple of patients who have been on long term pilo who, when fully dilated, get up to about 1.5mm.

Typically I use the same combo that Andrew uses, and rarely redrop.

Dave