Difficult to dilate patients

Started by pugdogs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pugdogs

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seeking input regarding approx. percentage of patients that need to be re-dropped to fully dilate. Our difficult to dilate patients seem to be increasing; pathology, pigmentation, and injury account for the problems - but the percentage seems to be increasing. We have not changed gtts or technique.

Thanks for your input.
 
I am seeking input regarding approx. percentage of patients that need to be re-dropped to fully dilate. Our difficult to dilate patients seem to be increasing; pathology, pigmentation, and injury account for the problems - but the percentage seems to be increasing. We have not changed gtts or technique.

Thanks for your input.

What is your current population mix of patients?

I have a general ophthalmology practice and my re-drop rate is very low (i.e., I rarely re-drop patients). I use a combination of phenylephrine and tropicamide.

As you stated above, severe diabetes, previous trauma, and darkly pigmented eyes may require longer times for full dilation.
 
I have a couple of patients who have been on long term pilo who, when fully dilated, get up to about 1.5mm.

Typically I use the same combo that Andrew uses, and rarely redrop.

Dave