Difficulty of MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to fill out the acceptance form for Tufts University School of Medicine and there is a space to include other potential programs of interest besides the traditional M.D. I am currently a Biology and Health Policy double major and would like to continue pursuing the latter in my career, so I thought about putting down MD/MPH. How difficult is it to balance the traditional medical education with public health courses and an internship/learning experience (Tufts has this Applied Learning Experience to be completed in MS3 or MS4 where you work for 150 hours on some public health project and present findings, etc. to faculty and students)? Are there any combined MD/MPH at Tufts or other schools here who would offer their two cents?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few friends who are at Tufts doing the MD/MPH program, and they like it. I don't think it's that much harder. The story with the program though is that you cannot specialize in a certain public health field and since you take public health classes at night, I believe you miss certain clinical experiences. But overall, they're really enjoying the program.

So you wouldn't take a year off to do the MPH? Because every med student I know who took a year off to do an MPH loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't go to Tufts, but I am an MD/MPH student. Having overlap between both programs in the required classes is critical in being able to finish both in a timely, less-stress fashion. At my school, they recommend doing the core classes over the summers before M1 and before M2, but I've still taken a few classes during the actual school year. Sometimes it's a hassle having to go to an extra class, but for the most part, the subject matter in the MPH classes has been pretty interesting and has kept me aware of the big picture, especially when you get frustrated over all the med school stuff. Good luck!

I don't go to Tufts, but I am an MD/MPH student. Having overlap between both programs in the required classes is critical in being able to finish both in a timely, less-stress fashion. At my school, they recommend doing the core classes over the summers before M1 and before M2, but I've still taken a few classes during the actual school year. Sometimes it's a hassle having to go to an extra class, but for the most part, the subject matter in the MPH classes has been pretty interesting and has kept me aware of the big picture, especially when you get frustrated over all the med school stuff. Good luck!

Hey, I was wondering if you could give me more information on this. More specifically, when the classes are taken, how many are taken, time committment for each class, etc. The school I'm going to has an MD/MPH program that is 4 years. However, I would try to take most of the core classes in the summer before M1 and M2 year. I'm just worried that a 4 year combined program could be too stressful to manage.

Hey, I was wondering if you could give me more information on this. More specifically, when the classes are taken, how many are taken, time committment for each class, etc. The school I'm going to has an MD/MPH program that is 4 years. However, I would try to take most of the core classes in the summer before M1 and M2 year. I'm just worried that a 4 year combined program could be too stressful to manage.

This is hard to answer since it really depends on the program at each particular school that offers it. Which school are you going to?

So you wouldn't take a year off to do the MPH? Because every med student I know who took a year off to do an MPH loved it.

I graduated from the MD/MPH program at Tufts last year and really enjoyed it. It does have its kinks to work out, but what school doesn't? Overall, you do the MD and MPH in four years - so it's unique in the way that you don't take a year off. That's nice for people who like to graduate with their friends and people that they know. HOwever, it does not preclude you from taking a year off to work on your public health project (the applied learning experience - ALE - as we call it) or from just taking a year off. Usuually, most people do the 4 year track, but about 3-4 each year take a year off to work in public health. It's by no means a requirement, but Tufts gives students that flexibility (whether or not you're doing the MPH).

It's true that it doesnt' allow you a concentration, partly because to get it done in 4 yeears, you take most the same classes as other MD/MPHers in your year (which is nice because you gain a lot of cameraderie. There are also DVM candidates who are getting their MPH). However, for your elective classes, you can take whatever you want in the selection. Sometimes, if you plan ahead, you can take classes with the non-MD/MPHers, which affords you more variety in terms of class options.

I hope that helps. It's just a matter of finding the right fit. I thought it was a great opportunity (and I looked at schools that specifically allowed me to get an MPH or had an MPH program).

You're welcome to PM if anyone has any questions specifically about the Tufts program. :)