Digital Stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc AdamK in 2006

Now 2 year UB Med Doc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

We had Welch Allyn Medical Instruments come in yesterday.

They offered these new digital stethoscopes. The price was $155.
There is a lower priced model than the one on the website.

If you haven't seen one. They only are one sided, but you can switch form bell to diaphragm with a touch of a bottom. Plus you can amplify the sound.

Do you think this is a good purchase or should I go with the more traditional stethoscopes.

If the latter is a better to do. Which do you Suggest
Pure Tone
or Littman
Or Welch Allyn http://www.welchallyn.com Check out the digital ones

Thanks

AK

Members don't see this ad.

I was just looking at the Littman digital stethoscopes. On paper, they look like a nice piece of equipment. Has anyone here actually tried them?

Any idea how much more they cost than the basic scopes?

For us, they quoted about $20 more for the digital than a Cardiology III. Pretty good deal, but my clinical skills prof recommended that I learn auscultation on a traditional stethoscope first.

Same thing with the Pan-Optic ophthalmoscope. While it's terrific, gotta learn on the coaxial first.

aloha

Just beware of what you hear if you do get one. If you crank it up, you won't be calibrated to other ears on the team. There was a kid in our class with a digital stethoscope who had a nasty habit of hearing murmurs where other residents and attendings did not hear any. So he kept on pointing this out, thinking he was impressive, when actually it looks more like he doesn't know what normal is.