Dilema, any suggestion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm doing prepharmacy right now. This is my 2nd semester. As of right now, I have a 3.9 GPA, but I'm getting a C in English this semester. My English teacher is really hard (she only gives 1 A last semester.) Well, my question is, should I drop the class, and retake it later on? English is not my expertise. I'm thinking that I'll take it the last semester of my pre-pharmacy, so pharmacy schools can't look at the grade when I'm applying in the fall. Does English grade matter that much in the admission offices?

Members don't see this ad.

You only have ONE C, it won't affect you much. How do you know that you're getting that C anyway, the semester isn't over yet.

No offense, but I am getting tired of you people with 3.8/ 3.9/4.0 GPAs who are constantly worried about getting only one C or a B for that matter. What if you were in my shoes? Would you have committed suicide?? Just do the best you can, this is not even a dilemma.

I know it's not that big of a deal, but I'm gonna be competing with people with 4-years degree to get into pharmacy school. I want to give myself the best chance

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't fathom a pharmacy school not letting someone in with a 3.85+ GPA and presumably a decent PCAT score just because they got *one* C in a non-science class.

If it were me, I'd just ride it out. To compare with me, I got about 6 Cs in my two prepharm years, and I still got in.

Also, keep in mind that if I have a C in that class, I won't have a 3.9 average anymore, since it's a 4 credits class. My GPA will probably be down to 3.5 or so. Come to think of it, if I applies in the fall, then the pharmacy schools can only see my grades for this and last semesters, right?

You've also got to think, what if you do wait until the last semester and something happens and something interferes with that class and you are not able to finish it, or you have the same teacher and you fail and cant get into pharmacy school, you've got to look down the line and think, what if? you dont want to miss out on pharm school because you couldnt afford a "C"

Hmm, you have a good point. Also, my school has a class which is equivalent to this English class, but is designed specifically for people who's english is not their first language. I plan to take that class, instead of the regular english class, since english is not my first language. I think that will get me a better grade.

TCB: Try to be more sensitive to other ppl's concern. What is important to you might not be important to other people. That, however, does not mean you should not address the issue. One of the purposes of this forum is to address all concerns. So please, refain from belittling others.

Originally posted by goheel
Also, keep in mind that if I have a C in that class, I won't have a 3.9 average anymore, since it's a 4 credits class. My GPA will probably be down to 3.5 or so.

Are you sure that ONE C would lower your GPA that much? I had a 3.6 with about an equal amt of A's and B's and one C.

yea, since I don't have alot of credits (only 17). If I keep the english class, I will have 35 credits after this semester.

If you can still drop the class at this point, i say drop it. Why stress? If the prof is ridiculously hard anyway, there's no point in sweating it if you can take an easier course later. When i was in college, a lot of people played it smart and came away w/a much higher gpa than i did cuz they would drop the unreasonable classes and pick em up again later w/easier profs. all the while i didn't drop because i was determined to sweat it out (i didn't want to be a "cop-out"). But looking back, i should have given myself a break at least now and then. pharmacy is getting more and more competitive from what i hear (that's why i think your concern is valid) so if you can give yourself this little edge, why not? i know for sure grades are not all they look it at but hey, any little bit helps, right? If you can drop it w/out a problem, then drop it. who needs a prof who is only willing to give out one A? why ruin a good gpa if you don't have to? good luck to you.

Originally posted by BMBiology
TCB: Try to be more sensitive to other ppl's concern. What is important to you might not be important to other people. That, however, does not mean you should not address the issue. One of the purposes of this forum is to address all concerns. So please, refain from belittling others.

Well said.

:thumbup:

Here's what I learned to do. Before you register for a class, you might want to check out all the professors who teach the course and how they're rated on: www.ratemyprofessors.com

You can find out what classes are simple and the professors to take at your University. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, at my school, you can check the grade distribution for the particular teacher you wanna take. But the stupid thing is that the english department doesn't determine who teaches what class until like 2 weeks before school starts. So when I register for class, I don't know who I'm taking. Had I known that I'm having this professor, I wouldn't have taken the class in the first place.

Since you are stressing over this so much, it might just be better for you to wait until later. You can also see if there any community colleges in your area where you can take this class.

I don't think the class itself is hard, but the professor is. All my friends have easier teachers, who teach the same class, than me. Out of all the teachers, I have to have the director of english writting. This is a basic writting class, which everybody has to take, so there are like 80 sections a semester.

Don't worry about it. One C isn't going to drop your average down a whole .4 points. I got a F in English the first time I took it (as well as Fs in History and General Science...didn't get around to dropping the courses before deadline.) My overall GPA without grade forgiveness is about 3.7 and I got into pharmschool.

I got two Cs in Calculus (yeah, yeah, I know) and I got into UOP and UCSF. I don't think it's always the grades that matter most.
(it's who you sleep with)
-jason

edit: I also got a C in the 3rd quarter of O-chem. I blame that one on my girlfriend (we had just started dating).:D

Originally posted by moobymaster
Don't worry about it. One C isn't going to drop your average down a whole .4 points. I got a F in English the first time I took it (as well as Fs in History and General Science...didn't get around to dropping the courses before deadline.) My overall GPA without grade forgiveness is about 3.7 and I got into pharmschool.

To get a 3.7 with three F's very difficult. Just do the math. 12 credits (3 classes) of "F" (0.0) needs about TEN times that many credits (120 credits) of "A" to get back to a 3.7. So 3 "F" classes takes about THIRTY STRAIGHT "A" classes to hit a 3.7. The chances of getting that many credits of straight A's after 3 F's is VERY low.

Sure it's difficult but it can be done. 2 of the classes were only 3 credits though so it was a tiny bit easier. I did include my classes from my bachelor's degree, but PharmCas includes those when they calculate the GPA that is sent to the schools. Don't sweat a single C in a non science course.

How about a single C in a calculus course? It's not technically a science course, but I believe it's often scrutinized as much as a science course. Opinions?

One C and what else? If you have Bs in everything else then your sciences drop to 2 something which wouldn't look too good. What's your science GPA?

I haven't calculated my science GPA exactly but, except for that C, I basically have all A's and one A-. Most of those classes are from a community college, though. I had a 4.0 for four semesters at a CC, but then my gpa went to 3.429 for my first semester at my current university. It was a hard semester and a tough adjustment. So, while my cumulative gpa may be around the 3.89 or so range, it doesn't look quite as good when I have a bunch of CC courses pulling it up. BTW, I'm registered for the March PCAT...don't expect to do too well though because I registered on a whim and have not practiced or anything...my school just started requiring the exam. Yikes, I'm so anxious to get a certain piece of mail in early April...so nervous because I only applied to one school this year (SD state does not require physics but most do, and I don't have that completed yet). Anyway, I suppose I should get to bed and give my brain a rest. *sigh*

I wouldn't sweat 1 C among all As for sciences, especially for calculus. And I don't know how they look at the CC grades...all my required sciences came from a CC. My bachelors was in business so nothing applied from that.

I'm just amazed that you got A's in science and math and find English hard - wow.
Do what you have to do, switch to an easier english and try your hardest to get an A or B. Don't sweat it, if your science and math are excellent that's what will really matter. Of course they do want to make sure your writing/communication skills are there, but as long as you don't get a D, you should be fine.
I'd switch places with you.

MALA, I think alot of people that like math and science struggle in english, especially if those people are not native-english speaker. To everybody, thanks for the advice. I've decided to drop the course, and retake it next semester. Hopefully, I will find an easier teacher, and not one that only gives one A for an entire class.:mad:

Most schools dont really care how you did in English. Most schools really concentrate on the Math/Science GPA. Now, if it looks like that you are headed for a "D" in the course, I would drop but not if I know for sure I can get a "C" in the course

Originally posted by South2006
Most schools dont really care how you did in English. Most schools really concentrate on the Math/Science GPA.

English seemed to be really important at most schools that I know of. I had to prove to several schools that I had taken "English" because my classes had different names. Communication is stressed in most newer curriculums, hence the addition of public speaking, english or personal communication.

well, I shouln't say what I said...I should say that schools primarily care if you passed english or not. If your strong everywhere else, I wouldn't worry about it

Just curious as I read more and more threads....has anyone ever actually spoken with a decision maker at a college (perhaps during your interview or after you were accepted) and they actually flat out said what grades or things they truly look at that decides if they will accept you.
I absolutely believe what everyone has said on this board- I know grades, science, match, extracurricular are important. I know that's the "standard answer" that you would receive from the college. But I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a candid discussion with a decision maker who shed some more light on their decision making process. Just curious.

Originally posted by MALA
Just curious as I read more and more threads....has anyone ever actually spoken with a decision maker at a college (perhaps during your interview or after you were accepted) and they actually flat out said what grades or things they truly look at that decides if they will accept you.

There is really no answer to this question. Obviously, the applicant pool determines who is going to be admitted. A school with 150 applicants for 100 spots is going to have different requirements than a school with 1,500 applicants for 100 spots. The admissions people don't lie when they tell you what they're looking for. Grades, PCAT, yada yada are all important. Some schools use a point system, with different emphasis on certain things. Some have mandatory interviews, some have mandatory letters of rec, some have none of these things. There is no "one perfect thing" that will get you admitted. Keep your grades up, snag a good PCAT score, join a relevant club (ACS, ASHP, NCPA), get a few good letters of rec, work as a tech in retail, or in a hospital, meet with some admissions people, and you should have no problem at all. Some of the best advice is just to make sure you have all the requirements for your top 5 or 6 choices. Some schools want extra classes (biochem, physiology, physics, etc) that other schools don't require. Make sure you get your apps in on time too. I don't care if you only want to go to one particular school, it doesn't make sense to only apply there. Send 5, it's not that hard. :thumbup:

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I don't care if you only want to go to one particular school, it doesn't make sense to only apply there. Send 5, it's not that hard.
I don't agree with this. Why should I waste time and money applying to schools just for the sake of applying? I'm *extremely* limited in the schools I can apply to due to my fiance's job (as in, there's only one that I can go to without having to move); I see no reason to bother applying to a school that I couldn't go to even if they did accept me.

Originally posted by Modnar
I don't agree with this. Why should I waste time and money applying to schools just for the sake of applying? I'm *extremely* limited in the schools I can apply to due to my fiance's job (as in, there's only one that I can go to without having to move); I see no reason to bother applying to a school that I couldn't go to even if they did accept me.

Not everyone in this forum has a fiance since I would say the average age of the posters here are in the early 20's. Also, is it possible to have a relationship and be seperated for a while? I have several friends in my pharmacy class that have married and have kids and they are all with daddy or mommy for the next 3 years. (These people are mainly from Atlanta) All JD is trying to say is that if you want it THAT bad, don't take the risk on just one school. Apply to several so you have a back up plan rather than no back up plan. I totally agree with JDPharmD....Next time, please use discression! ;)

Also, im not sure where you are from in East Texas, but you have a few choices in Texas to choose from. I don't know if that helps you or not.

Thanks JD! I never thought about it that way. I really have my heart set on one, just like everyone does. But I will apply to others, if I don't get accepted at my first choice (oh crush!) I would go to my second choice even if it is further or not the area I want.

Originally posted by MALA
Thanks JD! I never thought about it that way. I really have my heart set on one, just like everyone does. But I will apply to others, if I don't get accepted at my first choice (oh crush!) I would go to my second choice even if it is further or not the area I want.

Mala,

What school are you trying to get into? Rutgers?

Originally I was since it is the only pharm school in NJ. But after doing more research and learning of other schools in the NY state proximity- I'd much rather go to Albany-that's my first and only choice....but I'd consider and would apply to Buffalo, Temple. Rutgers is really tough from what I am hearing- since it's the only one in NJ-it's killer getting in. Not only that, they want lots of pre-reqs with your left arm too. I'm not crazy about the New Brunswick location of Rutgers either.