Dilemma - Chiropody or Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im from Canada, Im still hacing trrouble choosing whether i should choose Chiropdy or Podiatry.

Chiropdy
3 years
20,000 $ total
Get a: Advanced Diploma
Start at: 50K
Upper limit: 150K????????

Podiatry
4years + 2 year Residency
250,000$ total
Get a: Doctor of
Start at: 70K???????????
Upper limit: 150K???????

Could someone confirm the question marks?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys Im from Canada, Im still hacing trrouble choosing whether i should choose Chiropdy or Podiatry.

Chiropdy
3 years
20,000 $ total
Get a: Advanced Diploma
Start at: 50K
Upper limit: 150K????????

Podiatry
4years + 2 year Residency
250,000$ total
Get a: Doctor of
Start at: 70K???????????
Upper limit: 150K???????

Could someone confirm the question marks?
thanks

Just to clarify - DPM's residencies are 2 or 3 years and the starting salary is typically in the 6 figures - the upper limit of DPM's earnings are well above $150K

As for your "dilemma" - you have to make the decision and see what you want - do you want to be a physician and surgeon of the foot and ankle or Do you want to be a foot primary care provider with no surgical training?

I understand and appreciate the heavy financial obligation - (although $250,000 in loans is exaggerated - you're probably looking at $150-200K). However, it really comes down to practicing something you're passionate about - podiatric medicine has alot to offer, as I'm also sure that Chiropody can be rewarding - so my advise for you is to look up current Canadian DPM's - contact them and shadow them to gain more insight about the profession and do the same for the current Chiropodists, then decide for yourself. Best of luck with your endeavours.

P.S. I believe the Canadian Podiatric medical association have a site listed online but I have the link for the ontario association - and maybe this should guide you to the other provinces of your interest:

www.opma.ca

I am assuming the $250,000 you are referring to is in Canadian and not US dollars. The actually amount of indebtedness is between 125-200,000. Something else to consider, should you ever decide to practice in the states you won't be able to with a chiropody degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
the chiropody program in toronto is the only one of its kind and since it is now a post-degree program, it is not as easy as u think it is to get in...aka there are 3 registered chiropractors in this year's class

the chiropody program in toronto is the only one of its kind and since it is now a post-degree program, it is not as easy as u think it is to get in...aka there are 3 registered chiropractors in this year's class

Hey, i'm just curious... Are you a student at Michener? How do you know there are 3 DC's in the D.ch program? I just find that a little crazy bceause a lot of the problems assocaited with the business of chiropractic (opening a practice, establishing a patient base etc) are exemplified in chiropody too. I know that where i live in Ontario, the two chiropody clinics in hospitals were closed due to funds. It seems that if a chiropodist wants a hospital job, they must understand that they are the 1st to go if the budget needs to be cut...
Any info would be great :)

Thanks

Are you focused on ultimately practicing in the US or Canada?
I'd think that is the ultimate determinant of your choice.

I have heard some very bad things about the podiatry/chiropody outlook in Canada which may be any blend of rumor and fact (I never considered practicing there, so I never really did any research). However, to my limited understanding of podiatry in Canada, the scope of practice is pretty limited and the senior practitioners have it set up so that new graduates have a very tough time even getting liscensed - much less founding a solid patient base and making a good living.

I'd be curious to learn more about podiatry in Canada because the few viewpoints I've heard (from Canadian pod students studying in the US) were grim and centered around how "there's no way I'd go back to Canada to be a podiatrist."