Dilemma -- continue 2nd BS or work til med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma. I returned to school to pursue a 2nd BS in electrical engineering. My 1st BS is in business administration. (ugh). Anyhoo, I made the descision to apply to med school -- i'm taking the mcat in april and would matriculate in 05 hopefully. well, i figured out it is technically feasible to finish the EE degree plus premed prereqs by summer 05 if i busted my a** w/ 15-17 hrs per semester and summers.

Would the adcomms look down on me not finishing the EE BS and instead finishing the premed prereqs and working til the application cycle? I know I need to show academic drive but it would be hell to try and do both. My feeling is -- concentrate on the prereqs / EC's for the next year and if it doesn't pan out, reevaluate. I suppose I answered my question but, what do you guys think?
Zach

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to tell the schools you were pursuing a second degree. Just have the classes on your transcript. I don't think they will know if you were in a degree program or not. Many people go back to school to take classes for personal/professional enrichment. So your plan of taking the prerequisites and then reevaluating your situation sounds like a good one to me.

thanks for the reply.. that is a good point. the classes i took do forward my current career...

Zach