Dilemma on whether to take a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeancheBlanco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on whether to apply this cycle or not. At this point, I have mediocre stats (3.57 from a top 10 university, 32Q balanced) and relatively few activities. I have the necessities like a pretty good research experience (SURF), a single good community service activity, a single good clinical volunteering activity, and a single short shadowing experience. I don't really have anything on top of that, and as I'm looking at some of the secondary prompts, I don't feel very confident about my possible answers.

I think I can manage to get into a school if I apply very broadly, and I am fine with going anywhere really. The only thing that is bothering me is whether my lack of activities is a significant hindrance for me. That is, if I took a year off and added a couple more good volunteer/shadowing experiences, would it realistically give me a better shot at more schools? I just don't want to be limited by something as easy as a few activities. I understand my GPA will keep me out of the top schools no matter what my activities are, but would they give me a significantly better shot at more mid-tier schools?

If you were in my position would you go ahead and apply this cycle?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on whether to apply this cycle or not. At this point, I have mediocre stats (3.57 from a top 10 university, 32Q balanced) and relatively few activities. I have the necessities like a pretty good research experience (SURF), a single good community service activity, a single good clinical volunteering activity, and a single short shadowing experience. I don't really have anything on top of that, and as I'm looking at some of the secondary prompts, I don't feel very confident about my possible answers.

I think I can manage to get into a school if I apply very broadly, and I am fine with going anywhere really. The only thing that is bothering me is whether my lack of activities is a significant hindrance for me. That is, if I took a year off and added a couple more good volunteer/shadowing experiences, would it realistically give me a better shot at more schools? I just don't want to be limited by something as easy as a few activities. I understand my GPA will keep me out of the top schools no matter what my activities are, but would they give me a significantly better shot at more mid-tier schools?

If you were in my position would you go ahead and apply this cycle?

Thanks!

A year off will definitely not hurt and I would recommend it so you will come in next year with more confidence. I think you should be fine either way, your stats in general are good.

If you are not concerned with where you attend, I would apply this year. Your stats are decent, and assuming you have no red flags and apply broadly, I'd expect that you will get in somewhere.

Yes, a few more significant activities will improve your chances -- but most likely not to the point that it will drastically change the types of schools you are competitive for. if your end goal is to go to A medical school, imo there is not point in delaying an extra year if you do not want to.

In your position, I would only take a year off if I wanted a break before starting medical school. If that is not the case, I would just go ahead and apply.