dilemma - trying to calm my fears

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am holding an acceptance and have committed to a med school. I made a C- in my Calculus class this semester. I do not have to retake this for my degree requirements, but I am terrified I will still lose my acceptance. I am an all A and a few sparse B student with two C's from over ten years ago in my academic career (long ago first degree). So I have a above 3.6 GPA. I have great grades, and I rock at science. And literature and pretty much anything but math. I tried so hard in Calc, and I am pretty sure I didn't even deserve a C-, but I know my professor knows I am holding an acceptance, and I think he didn't want me to lose it so he gave me a C-. I know it sounds crazy that I can ace Organic and Biochem, but get a bad grade in Calc. I don't get it either.

Am I screwed? Do you think I will lose my acceptance? My term average should be around a 3.3, because I think the rest of my grades this term are A's. Still waiting for that, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should call the admissions office of the school that accepted you and - without giving your name - ask if a C- would preclude you from starting in the fall. If they ask for your name and you decline to answer, I think they will understand (but my guess is they wouldn't ask). If they say you need a C or better (which I think is common), then retake the class.

A required course for my med school? They don't require Calc at all in their pre-reqs - it's my degree that requires it, and that is the only reason I took it at all. I know I suck at Calculus!

And this is a small med school - is that kind of phone call even ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think a school would rescind their acceptance becasue you got a C- in calculus? I've never heard of that, tell me the school and i can call and ask for you ... :)

Do you have a solid explanation? I've read somewhere on this board that you don't get reconsidered ever, unless you get a D in a course. Plus, Calculus (depending on the school) shoudn't even be a pre-req.

My explanation is that I SUCK at math. And I should have all A's in everything else this semester. I also made a C in PreCalc over ten years ago. I've always tried SO HARD, but I am just not good at math. Maybe it is a poor explanation, but I tried so incredibly hard this semester.

So you think since my C- is a C- and technically a form of a C that I won't be reconsidered?

Do you have a solid explanation? I've read somewhere on this board that you don't get reconsidered ever, unless you get a D in a course. Plus, Calculus (depending on the school) shoudn't even be a pre-req.

Well my acceptance letter to Downstate said "you must get at least a C in all classes in which you are currently enrolled," so I think some schools have these types of requirements. I agree with everyone here though, you need to check with your individual school.

I think you should call the admissions office of the school that accepted you and - without giving your name - ask if a C- would preclude you from starting in the fall. If they ask for your name and you decline to answer, I think they will understand (but my guess is they wouldn't ask).

Don't forget to use a payphone and *67! :thumbup:

My explanation is that I SUCK at math. And I should have all A's in everything else this semester. I also made a C in PreCalc over ten years ago. I've always tried SO HARD, but I am just not good at math. Maybe it is a poor explanation, but I tried so incredibly hard this semester.

So you think since my C- is a C- and technically a form of a C that I won't be reconsidered?

If it's the best you got, that's all you can do. C's don't kill applications, especially if there's a monster-load of A's in the pre-reqs.

If it's the best you got, that's all you can do. C's don't kill applications, especially if there's a monster-load of A's in the pre-reqs.

The best I could do. The class was terrible - as in three tests and the final was 40 percent of the grade. No homework grade buffer. I just suck at math, and I tried so hard. But if you asked me to differentiate or integrate - I would be fine. The final was ridiculously hard, though.

I had my friend call anonym. and they said they evaluate on a case-by-case basis. I do have a ton of great A's and the reasons they accepted me I thought were pretty good reasons. I had a great interview etc.

I am going to call my school myself on Monday once the rest of my grades roll in and ask them if i need to retake the course. If so, I have a local community college I am going to retake it at, since it really doesn't matter to me, and my university doesn't even require me to retake it. Not to mention the Calc classes left conflict with classes I do need next semester! Sound like a decent plan? Any other suggestions?

Does anyone understand how panicked and stressed out I am right now? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not to mention this isn't an application - and it should be obvious I am not slacking off! I'm already accepted- they know how badly I wanted this!

The best I could do. The class was terrible - as in three tests and the final was 40 percent of the grade. No homework grade buffer. I just suck at math, and I tried so hard. But if you asked me to differentiate or integrate - I would be fine. The final was ridiculously hard, though.

I had my friend call anonym. and they said they evaluate on a case-by-case basis. I do have a ton of great A's and the reasons they accepted me I thought were pretty good reasons. I had a great interview etc.

I am going to call my school myself on Monday once the rest of my grades roll in and ask them if i need to retake the course. If so, I have a local community college I am going to retake it at, since it really doesn't matter to me, and my university doesn't even require me to retake it. Not to mention the Calc classes left conflict with classes I do need next semester! Sound like a decent plan? Any other suggestions?

Does anyone understand how panicked and stressed out I am right now? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I think your plan is a good one :) I'm glad to hear it's a case-by-case basis. If they do say you need to retake it, make sure to ask if retaking it at the community college will be okay. I think it should all work out just fine. Good luck and please try to stress less while waiting for Monday!