Dilemma - Year gap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyknicks8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for IM and have an situation. I ended up taking a year off because I wasn't ready for the CK by December. I did not apply last year after that and now I'm applying this year and have a good amount of interviews. I know I will be ask the question why I took a year off. I also know that honesty is most important, but I feel that saying I decided to take a whole year because of the CK would look bad. (I ended up doing good on the CK but it was too late)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or should I just make up something?

Edit: I wanted to add that I am starting clinical research, for the time off, but will not have anything concrete to show yet. At the end I will get a publication though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying for IM and have an situation. I ended up taking a year off because I wasn't ready for the CK by December. I did not apply last year after that and now I'm applying this year and have a good amount of interviews. I know I will be ask the question why I took a year off. I also know that honesty is most important, but I feel that saying I decided to take a whole year because of the CK would look bad. (I ended up doing good on the CK but it was too late)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or should I just make up something?

Edit: I wanted to add that I am starting clinical research, for the time off, but will not have anything concrete to show yet. At the end I will get a publication though.

PM sent. Check in a little bit.

I think you will be fine since you are doing the research.

When you apply for malpractice or credentialing, the research will be a good explanation.

Enjoy your time!