Dilemma about choosing program vs waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOGlobetrotter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I applied pretty heavily to the open AOA TRI programs and have an offer (with possibly 1-2 more coming).

My dilemma is that there is a new residency program likely to get accreditation but not until April and won't be accepting applications until they receive it. It's in the field I want and is in a pretty good area too for me.

Should I accept the TRI for the one year spot or should I hold off and wait for the new residency program (very risky move since if it doesn't get accredited I am without a residency/internship.)

Also, is it possible to break contracts, especially if the year hasn't started? Has anyone gone through something similar? I would hate to do that and be that person but this is basically my career and future on the line. What are the ramifications if I do break a contract with the TRI program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I applied pretty heavily to the open AOA TRI programs and have an offer (with possibly 1-2 more coming).

My dilemma is that there is a new residency program likely to get accreditation but not until April and won't be accepting applications until they receive it. It's in the field I want and is in a pretty good area too for me.

Should I accept the TRI for the one year spot or should I hold off and wait for the new residency program (very risky move since if it doesn't get accredited I am without a residency/internship.)

Also, is it possible to break contracts, especially if the year hasn't started? Has anyone gone through something similar? I would hate to do that and be that person but this is basically my career and future on the line. What are the ramifications if I do break a contract with the TRI program?

I would take the offer you have rather than banking your future on an uncertainty. My limited experience is that newly accredited programs fill CRAZY fast. I got a tip from an attending about a new FM program. They were accredited one week prior and had an ad already posted on residentswap.com. All the ads say don’t contact us- just send us all your stuff (ps, transcript, cover letter etc). By the time I got that together and emailed it to them on day 7, I received a prompt rejection- heir 10 person incoming class was full. I was like 0_0 0_0

The risks are not just that they don't get accredited promptly, but also that they choose someone else, that they're disorganized, malignant or otherwise a terrible program.

Bird in the hand.

Reactions: 2 users