Direct Primary Care After Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
....I picked a job where I won't be sitting in clinic all day every day seeing 30+ patients a day. I picked one where I can have variety, and I feel variety and volume are two huuuuuuge (I pulled a Bernie) variables involved in physician burn out. I am one of those that NEEDS variety or lower volume to help me not burn out. I'll get to spend a few days in the hospital, few days in facilities, a day in clinic, etc. and it keeps me fresh on everything, still be able to maintain relationships, and at some point if I want to do something else then I can. The times where I'm not in clinic, I don't have to run around between clinic and hospital....

If you don't mind me asking, how did you fall into this job? What's the title? That sort of work sounds appealing to me, and I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of "job posting" title something like that would have.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you fall into this job? What's the title? That sort of work sounds appealing to me, and I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of "job posting" title something like that would have.

It literally fell to my lap via word of mouth.
I was actually in the middle of negotiating the contract for an urgent care in GA when this opportunity came to my attention. I decided to interview and within 48hrs was unofficially told the job was mine and a day later they officially offered me the job and asked me to give an answer within a week. I took it immediately. I spoke with my director and faculty and they said it had a primo reputation in the area and definitely made good money. Other physicians in the community also like the physicians in the group and the group itself.

I'm not sure what "job title" it would be - but it is similar to traditional family medicine. The difference being that most traditional jobs have you spending all day in clinic seeing 25 patients while still having to round on clinic patients in the early morning and/or evening, round on facility pts, etc so your days are usually > 10-12hr days. I like that if I'm in the hospital, it's all I do and if I'm on facilities, it's all I do, and if I'm in clinic my focus is only on my clinic pts for that day. These types of jobs I imagine are probably not well announced. I recommend cold calling or talking to community docs/faculty/director.

Side note: I've also had offers from cosmetic/boutique practices (several in my area) and I was tempted to join one, but it appeared to be undergoing all sorts of changes and there was too much flux. Plus, it was going to be part time pay making PA salary. I'm unsure if it's possible to combine a full time job with a part time job like that? Perhaps some of the others here would know. I know those provide great lifestyle and okay pay, no call. I fear those would limit your opportunities in the future. However, I know some young docs in the community who have pursued these options.

Last edited:
And you're likely in the bind that many practicing doctors are - you've gotten used to a certain lifestyle and going from making decent money to much less for a year or more is tough when you have a mortgage, kids, and all that.

No actually I live a frugal life and have no debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed not many FM folks here (some do) doing Peds either. I wanted to see if things were different out West since I hear it's more "full spectrum" out there.

Depends on where you practice. Lots of jobs for general FM no ob. I just don't want to do peds or ob. If I do some Urgent care I might do some peds then but not on a regular basis.
It's not that I don't like kids I don't like the parents.

That sounds like a great gig. How many hours per week do you anticipate you will be working?

It's a 4.5 day work week and the extra half day is administrative or catch up time (or go home).
Average is about 45hrs/week (plus the over night home call/weekend call). There is home-call one weekday night per week and one weekend call (fri pm, sat, sun) per month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Depends on where you practice. Lots of jobs for general FM no ob. I just don't want to do peds or ob. If I do some Urgent care I might do some peds then but not on a regular basis.
It's not that I don't like kids I don't like the parents.

I don't mind the parents actually. I've yet to experience (incl med school time) difficult parents as long as expectations are set and you explain things. I am also big on handouts. I give ALL patients handouts.