"Disadvantaged status” help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asultan5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would like to know what others think if whether I should mark that I’m disadvantaged... I’ve been reading around and I understand it pertains to those who struggled economically but mine is a little different, I was born half deaf (half in both ears). Parents immigrated to the US for me to get a better education and services for my disability since they couldn’t in their country. My parents didn’t really know what to do and weren’t aware of different resources (such as ASL and deaf-schooling) so I was raised orally and went through normal schooling. My parents also couldn’t afford aids so I feel that I was at a disadvantage because it was really difficult for me. But I never allowed my disability to define me so I just had to work 1000% times more than other non disabled students and I always excelled all the way through college. No one could ever tell I had a disability until I told them (which was and still is rare for me to disclose). Anyway, should I mark myself as disadvantaged? I’m a little worried it might backfire if I disclose. I’ve never used resources before (interpreters, aids, etc.) and never plan on to and am certain that I’m well beyond capable of exceeding in med school.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a chart somewhere by the AAMC that tells you if you are disadvantaged, and it's strictly economical/financial. Disadvantaged status is for those who struggled financially, not socially or intellectually. You should absolutely state that you overcame some big hurdles and it's pretty unique and should help you stand out to adcoms. However if you were not economically disadvantaged, I don't think you should mark yourself as disadvantaged.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...t-it-means-to-be-a-disadvantaged-md-applicant

This is a great article on the criteria for claiming "disadvantaged status" and what the accompanying essay should / could look like. Basically the three main reasons for claiming disadvantaged would be

1. Lacking financial resources: If you had to forego educational opportunities or work to support family due to economic hardship, the disadvantaged statement could be one place to mention this situation.

2. Feeling a lack of belonging: Students from immigrant backgrounds, or who otherwise faced cultural or racial adversity in school, often use this space to discuss those issues.

3. Lacking sufficient social or environmental resources: Applicants from rural or impoverished urban areas often used this section to discuss the impact of their upbringing in these areas on their educational opportunities or overall wellbeing.

Just be careful claiming disadvantaged because it could paint you in a negative light if your biggest challenge was that your parents couldn't afford hearing aids, when you freely disclose in the next sentence that nobody could even tell and you did fine in school. Some disadvantaged kids have dealt with homelessness, extreme poverty, supporting family members, etc. So just make sure you actually FEEL disadvantaged compared to your peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask for others' opinions, I'm going to go ahead and say you should not put it. (That doesn't mean it can't come up in "obstacles faced" secondaries or interviews"

If you can make an argument for that status on a secondary then I would put it on AMCAS.

I'm gonna say that, to be safe, you shouldn't list yourself as disadvantaged. However, somewhere else you should try to mention these hardships. That way, the schools will still know and they can sorta decide for themselves.

If you have to ask for others' opinions, I'm going to go ahead and say you should not put it. (That doesn't mean it can't come up in "obstacles faced" secondaries or interviews"

This is terrible logic and leads to under utilization of programs available to people.

No.

Hi all,

Would like to know what others think if whether I should mark that I’m disadvantaged... I’ve been reading around and I understand it pertains to those who struggled economically but mine is a little different, I was born half deaf (half in both ears). Parents immigrated to the US for me to get a better education and services for my disability since they couldn’t in their country. My parents didn’t really know what to do and weren’t aware of different resources (such as ASL and deaf-schooling) so I was raised orally and went through normal schooling. My parents also couldn’t afford aids so I feel that I was at a disadvantage because it was really difficult for me. But I never allowed my disability to define me so I just had to work 1000% times more than other non disabled students and I always excelled all the way through college. No one could ever tell I had a disability until I told them (which was and still is rare for me to disclose). Anyway, should I mark myself as disadvantaged? I’m a little worried it might backfire if I disclose. I’ve never used resources before (interpreters, aids, etc.) and never plan on to and am certain that I’m well beyond capable of exceeding in med school.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is terrible logic and leads to under utilization of programs available to people.
Okay. Regardless, it takes a 10 second google search to find the AMCAS and AACOMAS definitions of disadvantaged. OP, you do not meet either based on the information you gave us.

Reactions: 1 user