Disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been saying they are disadvantaged on the application.
Both my parents were unemployed and at the same time while I was at college and I had to work to support myself and my family some. Would they consider me disadvantaged? Remember financially is one area where you can be disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can justify a claim for disadvantaged status. will they care? That is a different question. I say put it on your amcas if you truely think it affected you.

Hmmmm... this is a tough one... I guess partly, it depends on your family's overall financial status and background - that is, if your parents high-income workers / highly educated or low-income workers before becoming unemployed. It would probably make a difference in the minds of the adcom people if your parents were, say, laid-off IT consultants versus laid-off textile workers. Though in all fairness, both situations could be equally difficult in reality, the minds of the adcom people probably stereotypically consider any child of educated parents to be "privileged", and hence not disadvantaged. But regardless of whether you actually check off the "disadvantaged" box, having to support your family is definitely something you can talk about in other parts of your application - and that will be viewed favorably by adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
the thing is that it didn't really hurt my grades or anything. i just took it as another challenge.
was thinking about talking in the disadvantaged section about how my parents lost their job and how i had to get one and then say... in spite of this i was still able to maintain my numbers
something along those lines but more dramatic.
could it still work? or when you say disadvantaged do you have to somehow make it out that your disadvantage messed u up in some way

Long_John said:
the thing is that it didn't really hurt my grades or anything. i just took it as another challenge.
was thinking about talking in the disadvantaged section about how my parents lost their job and how i had to get one and then say... in spite of this i was still able to maintain my numbers
something along those lines but more dramatic.
could it still work? or when you say disadvantaged do you have to somehow make it out that your disadvantage messed u up in some way

On the aamcas it asks (paraphrasing big time here), "do you feel that you have been affected by some disadvantage". So, I would say that, in order to fill out the section, you will need to show that it affected you. Now, I would include your line about being able to keep up the grades in your personal statement.

If you are going to say disadvantaged (I would if I were in your shoes), don't dwell on it too much...you don't want them to think you are not psychologically over it yet. Write something short and sweet.

if you have to ask, you're probably not. Your situation, while unfortunate, is not the type of "disadvantaged" that the AAMC is addressing. I think you know what I mean. A life growing up in south central LA with no parents is not the same as bankrupt parents in college. Some people NEVER had the resources, and those are the people that should be applying as disadvantaged.

hmmmm, lots of people have to work while in college so I don't know if that should be a justification of your disadvantaged status. Were you working to to pay for your personal expences (beer/pizza money), or 40hrs/week to support your entire family?

I'm asking this because I've never seen the application. Is there a box to check for disadvantaged? Or are you talking about writing about your disadvantaged college years in an essay?

SanDiegoSOD said:
I'm asking this because I've never seen the application. Is there a box to check for disadvantaged? Or are you talking about writing about your disadvantaged college years in an essay?

There's a check box, then it asks you primary childhood city, county, state, and country. It asks you for a description of the area, i.e. suburban. It asks if you'd call the area medically underserved. It asks if your family was ever on an assistance program and what the family income level was (tough guess for my family). Asks if you were employed before 18, if you contributed to family income with your money, and how many were in the household. It asks how you paid for college. Then you have the opportunity to write a short essay about it.

Long_John said:
Has anyone been saying they are disadvantaged on the application. Both my parents were unemployed and at the same time while I was at college and I had to work to support myself and my family some. Would they consider me disadvantaged? Remember financially is one area where you can be disadvantaged.

I applied as a disadvantaged student.

From the sound of it, you are not a disadvantaged student, just an opportunist. The fact that you have TWO working parents already shows that you're middle class. Boo hoo, they were unemployed for awhile while you were in college. My single parent mother was unemployed twice while I was in college - and one of the most expensive colleges in the country, at that!

Seriously, you apply disadvantaged you screw over others who actually are. You probably do not care about that. However, you will be destroyed in any interview. I promise you. I had an interviewer ask me to describe how I survived cash flow wise based on an average month (what I ate, where I went etc).

I was hesitant to apply disadv even though I grew up below the poverty line for half of my life. My family never received public aid b/c my mother had some assets, that is, a small IRA she worked at for 8 years before and after marrying my father. That was our welfare. She made <14k at least two years of my life and I think from the ages of 9-15 she hadn't made more than 18k/yr. My father left the country when I was 12.

Just amazing what people will do for an edge.... :mad:

If you mark that box, I hope it comes roaring back to bite you in the ass.

Peterock said:
I applied as a disadvantaged student.

From the sound of it, you are not a disadvantaged student, just an opportunist. The fact that you have TWO working parents already shows that you're middle class. Boo hoo, they were unemployed for awhile while you were in college. My single parent mother was unemployed twice while I was in college - and one of the most expensive colleges in the country, at that!

Seriously, you apply disadvantaged you screw over others who actually are. You probably do not care about that. However, you will be destroyed in any interview. I promise you. I had an interviewer ask me to describe how I survived cash flow wise based on an average month (what I ate, where I went etc).

I was hesitant to apply disadv even though I grew up below the poverty line for half of my life. My family never received public aid b/c my mother had some assets, that is, a small IRA she worked at for 8 years before and after marrying my father. That was our welfare. She made <14k at least two years of my life and I think from the ages of 9-15 she hadn't made more than 18k/yr. My father left the country when I was 12.

Just amazing what people will do for an edge.... :mad:

If you mark that box, I hope it comes roaring back to bite you in the ass.

you're a f*cking prick. I bet you're not as disadvantaged as you claim. Just want to scare me from applying as disadvantaged because of the fact that you feel that it might hurt your own elitist a$$ of getting in. My parents situation severely forced me to adjust my own life. I had to get a 15 hr/week job just to make ends meet and max out my loans to make sure my family could afford to pay for the mortgage. Didn't have the free time you do to go around chatboards with your 500+ posts trying to mess with people's mind. while I do acknowledge there are different levels of disadvantagement and thank G-d, I'm not as messed up as others, I still feel medical schools should know what I was going under during most of my college studies. Thanks for helping me make my decision. Now, FOR SURE I will mark that box for disadvantagement. :D
Now go bother and scare the crap out of some other student to benefit your own good.

Long_John said:
you're a f*cking prick. I bet you're not as disadvantaged as you claim. Just want to scare me from applying as disadvantaged because of the fact that you feel that it might hurt your own elitist a$$ of getting in. My parents situation severely forced me to adjust my own life. I had to get a 15 hr/week job just to make ends meet and max out my loans to make sure my family could afford to pay for the mortgage. Didn't have the free time you do to go around chatboards with your 500+ posts trying to mess with people's mind. while I do acknowledge there are different levels of disadvantagement and thank G-d, I'm not as messed up as others, I still feel medical schools should know what I was going under during most of my college studies. Thanks for helping me make my decision. Now, FOR SURE I will mark that box for disadvantagement. :D
Now go bother and scare the crap out of some other student to benefit your own good.

I agree the previous poster was mean but he said that he already went on interviews and such so I'm going to assume that he's not competition. By no means am I lowering the severity of your obstacles but when you say, "I had to get a 15hr/week job..." it really doesn't sound that bad. I personally have had to work since I was 15 or 16. (20 hours/week back then in high school and 30-40 hours a week since I started college). I basically support my younger brother when it comes to his clothing, school, attending teacher conferences etc. basically because of my mom's laziness and my dad's "chronic illness" (at least that's what my advisor wants me to call it). I fund my own college education as well because my dad is the only one who works. However, I hesitated to apply disadvantaged because it didn't show an effect on my grades whatsoever. I figure if I get interviewed and get asked, "what is an obstacle..." or "when were you really stressed out..." I can explain it then. Gives me something to talk about I suppose

Anyhoo, the point of my babble is to avoid studying for the August MCAT and to say that if you truly believe that you are disadvantaged, then go for it. Just be prepared to back it up and think of how adcoms will see it when you explain your situation compared to someone else who may have "suffered" a lot more.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
im going to go with disadvantaged on my app. while i never had to deal with a homeless shelter or anything too bad b/c parents bought a house back in '80 when they were cheap. we were always under 16g for 6 people and sometimes below 13g while my dad was unemployed. when we did taxes, we got back 6 grand from the govt! the part about sacrifice was that my pop would never let me work during hs so i didnt, he said education first, then i get into a 35g ivy but obviously unaffordable but not really a sacrifice to not go there. in college i had to do a bit of work after he passed since my moms just a homemaker. again, wasnt too disadvantaged b/c we owned this small business and i worked there weekends and i never took out a loan. was i poor as hell? no, cuz right about this time all my siblings growing up graduating into nice jobs and we never hit rock bottom. but i still think it was disadvantaged b/c i took a cab twice in like 18 years and i never had good clothes or good food til college when i got avg stuff. im going to put dow disadvantaged.

Actually, I don't think that your grades have to suffer in order to be disadvantaged. Can anyone prove otherwise? As I recall, the AMCAS application asks you to "describe the nature of your disadvantage." There are many different ways in which someone can be disadvantaged. However, I am pretty sure that the disadvantage should have occurred by the age of 18. If it was just in college, it might not apply (you will see that the AMCAS questions always specify 18 or younger). Anyone that is threatened by the fact that others are disadvantaged too probably has crappy numbers and is hoping to rely on their sob story alone. As for the interview, as long as you have been honest, I don't see why you should have any problems. If you are being grilled by a hostile interviewer, it's probably just a stress test to how you handle yourself.

Long_John said:

Dude, I REALLY hope you are not serious. Do you actually think that having to work a measly 15 hrs a week and take loans qualifies one as disadvantaged? If that were the case, than at least half of us here were disadvantaged. The poster that pissed you off was right - there's no way that most people would see you as disadvantaged, and if you check that box and try to pass of as so, you'll go home feeling like a dip**** from every interview.
Do what you think is right, but remember that adcoms dont take the term disadvantaged lightly.
And whats with the comment about 500+ posts? Does it really take that long to post a few times a day? You obviously couldnt, you were working 3 hrs/weeekday. :rolleyes:

Long_John said:
My parents situation severely forced me to adjust my own life. I had to get a 15 hr/week job just to make ends meet and max out my loans to make sure my family could afford to pay for the mortgage.

Is this a joke? You worked 15 hours a week or 50 hours a week? This will make for an interesting disadvantaged essay:

"Due to my parents' unfortunate financial downfall, I was forced to work 2 days a week while going to school. I could no longer go out to drink with my friends as often as I was accustomed to (went from 2-3 times a week to once a week.) I feel if it were not for my having to seek employment to make the money that many students get from their parents, my grades would have been higher."

I like how the government has lowered us to fighting over who was more broke and destitute. "I was so poor that I looked under seats for used chewing gum in the hopes that the previous user hadn't brushed before he/she chewed it and some pieces of food were stuck in there." "Oh, yeah? I was so poor that my sister and I wore the same clothes ...AT THE SAME TIME!!" You guys are so ghetto fabulous.

I dont think you sound disadvantaged. Applying disadvantaged when you are not or it is questionable that you are will make you look like a fake just trying to get an edge.

You folks know that Disadvantaged is just another way to get AA applicants through the door once the AA spots have been filled, right? It has nothing to do with how life's obstacles have greatly affected you. If you didn't grow up in these historically ethnic sections of the country, you could be one-armed blind and supporting 5 families you are still not disadvantaged enough...

Long_John said:
Has anyone been saying they are disadvantaged on the application.
Both my parents were unemployed and at the same time while I was at college and I had to work to support myself and my family some. Would they consider me disadvantaged? Remember financially is one area where you can be disadvantaged.

I worked full time all through undergrad to support my family, and I did not apply disadvantaged.

tofurious said:
You folks know that Disadvantaged is just another way to get AA applicants through the door once the AA spots have been filled, right? It has nothing to do with how life's obstacles have greatly affected you. If you didn't grow up in these historically ethnic sections of the country, you could be one-armed blind and supporting 5 families you are still not disadvantaged enough...

Do you realize that the largest population receiving government assitance is caucasian? You DO NOT have to be "ethnic" to be poor and be considered disadvantaged.

In my opinion, I don't think 15hrs/week and maxing out your undergad loans is a big deal. I worked 30hrs/week and maxed out my loans in undergrad, but that's not the reason I claimed disadvantaged status. I'd be careful and make sure that you can tactfully explain your situation to adcoms. If you feel disadvantaged go ahead and put it down.

Just keep in mind that there are people who are truely disadvantaged, and if you are in fact not disadvantaged, it will be obviously apparent and you'll end up looking insensitive and unaware of what's really going on outside of the idyllic, middle class suburb.

My two cents
Nina

Long_John said:

I did not see this post of yours before. Let me clue you in on something, MOST college students work 10-15 hours a week, and that is nothing. I am actually kind of offended that you would think that is disadvantaged. I worked 40+ hours every damn week for my entire undergrad education, my loans are maxed out, and I am supporting a family. Despite all this, I did not apply disadvantaged. Maybe I could have, I don't know, but I do know that working a piddley 15 hours (Booh-Hooh) a week and taking out a lot of loans is definatley NOT disadvantaged. Mark that box and the adcoms are going to laugh their asses off at poor little disadvantaged Long John. Sorry so harsh, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but give me a break! :rolleyes:

i think u should be embarassed to even ask if you should check disadvantaged. I am not checking the box for disadvantaged and i lived in a homeless shelter throughout high school(that is after escaping foster care due to a drug addict mother and incarcerated father) I have worked full time since then and worked hard to do very well in school the entire time. I have had no contact with any family member since 7th grade and have been completely on my own living at college every holiday and break.

I am not checking disadvantaged b/c IF YOU have ever actually been disadvantaged you would know the social stereotypes about people from disadvataged backgrounds and would want to avoid the pssibility that your interviewer might believe such stereotypes leading to you getting rejected over your background not actually your credentials

This thread is still cracking me up. Thanks to preferential treatment, we have a buncha people sitting around crapping on each other about how bad off their lives were and how everyone else in the whole frikkin' world had it better than them and shouldn't be allowed to have 'their' preferential treatment.

"I checked 'disadvantaged' because I had to work every day to support myself through college."
"You call that disadvantaged? You should be ashamed of yourself! I couldn't even GO to college because my parents used all of our money on cocaine!"
"Your parents could afford cocaine? You f**king rich boy! We had to use crack, we were so poor!"
"Well I grew up in a cardboard box ...so I'm the only one who should be allowed to check 'disadvantaged.'"
"Was it a big box?"
"It fit three comfortably."
"You spoiled P.O.S.!!"

medic170 said:
I did not see this post of yours before. Let me clue you in on something, MOST college students work 10-15 hours a week, and that is nothing. I am actually kind of offended that you would think that is disadvantaged. I worked 40+ hours every damn week for my entire undergrad education, my loans are maxed out, and I am supporting a family. Despite all this, I did not apply disadvantaged. Maybe I could have, I don't know, but I do know that working a piddley 15 hours (Booh-Hooh) a week and taking out a lot of loans is definatley NOT disadvantaged. Mark that box and the adcoms are going to laugh their asses off at poor little disadvantaged Long John. Sorry so harsh, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but give me a break! :rolleyes:
pWned!!
owned.jpg

Long_John, you immature tool, do us ALL a favor and check the box. The adcoms will have themselves a good belly laugh as they toss your app into the shredder!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kinetic said:
This thread is still cracking me up. Thanks to preferential treatment, we have a buncha people sitting around crapping on each other about how bad off their lives were and how everyone else in the whole frikkin' world had it better than them and shouldn't be allowed to have 'their' preferential treatment.

"I checked 'disadvantaged' because I had to work every day to support myself through college."
"You call that disadvantaged? You should be ashamed of yourself! I couldn't even GO to college because my parents used all of our money on cocaine!"
"Your parents could afford cocaine? You f**king rich boy! We had to use crack, we were so poor!"
"Well I grew up in a cardboard box ...so I'm the only one who should be allowed to check 'disadvantaged.'"
"Was it a big box?"
"You spoiled P.O.S.!!"
:laugh: :laugh:

If you have to ask......

EvoDevo said:

Damnit! Did someone parole Misty again? Frikkin' parole board! Do your job, you lazy pieces of s**t!

P.S. We should ALL check disadvantaged AND minority status. Screwing with liberal plans makes me smile. :)

Disadvantaged to me means "handicapped." This title has all sort of degrees and if you feel it may be applicable then you have the right to present it in your application. If you are borderline, as the OP suggested, then you run the risk of looking like an irresponsible whiner. If, however, your application reader believes your circumstances may have impacted your application then it will be read with a grain of salt. To the people that were disadvantaged and didn't include it in your essay, you may have eliminated yourself from more competative schools or scholarship offers but I laud you for your rugged individual spirit. Personally, I think everyone overcomes obstacles and the self discovery that goes on during college is difficult for anyone. Even the richest white male from an elitist high-school and prepaid ivy league education has abstacles such as the pressure to perform from his check-book wielding family, the legacy of his family name, peer-pressure and vices, such as drugs/gambling/lesiure not afford those working fullt-time. It's all how you view your situation.

damn, now i wont check disadvantaged. i was on federal and blow poverty growing up but i was never homeless or in foster or shot or anything. they need to make these amcas apps clearer.

kinetic said:

"Was it a big box?"
"You spoiled P.O.S.!!"

Umm, I said I did NOT check disadvantaged. Your post was uncalled for!

medic170 said:
Umm, I said I did NOT check disadvantaged. Your post was uncalled for!

My post wasn't aimed specifically at you. I said 'this THREAD' cracks me up. However, since you want to complain, I find it hilarious that someone would tell someone else "you can't check that box!!" Who are you, the "broke-ass" police?

I guess Long_John doesnt want to show his face around here anymore... A little embarrassed? I'll bet he still feels sorry for himself for having to work 15hrs/week and making "major adjustments in lifestyle".

SanDiegoSOD said:
I guess Long_John doesnt want to show his face around here anymore... A little embarrassed? I'll bet he still feels sorry for himself for having to work 15hrs/week and making "major adjustments in lifestyle".

I regret ever starting this thread. Didn't know SDN was so full of jerks.
I'm not saying like I had the hardest life in the world. far from it.
but i believe there are different degrees of disadvantaged. and when i was working I wasn't working for mcd's like the rest of you flipping bergers and popping your zits but i was working for a real estate agent with more responsibilities than most of you elitists have ever had.
and i'm not really applying disadvantaged to get the bump that most people get from coming from really messed up backgrounds but instead more trying to show the med schools how I responded under extreme adversity and pressure not to mention emotional pain and humiliation over my parent's both being unemployed.
i dont know how some of you are ever going to make good doctors with your ****ty compassion skills and total lack of understanding

Long_John said:
... i was working for a real estate agent with more responsibilities than most of you elitists have ever had.
and i'm not really applying disadvantaged to get the bump that most people get from coming from really messed up backgrounds but instead more trying to show the med schools how I responded under extreme adversity and pressure not to mention emotional pain....

Sounds like part of a nice essay and a great post-secondary experience.

I don't detect too much elitism in this thread, unless it is the elitism of the ever more disadvantaged. .

I personally think it's easy to get the impression that Admissions committees think everyone has these idyllic little lives that allow us to study or volunteer 24/7. The expectations are there and inevitably, something is going to happen to a person to interfere with their perfect little pre-med plan. I personally dealt with a lot of health problems, and I wondered if the label "disadvantaged" applied to me. Unfortunately, hours in doctor's offices, picking up prescriptions, wrangling with insurance companies, and any just plain sick time is not time that Ad. coms are going to give you credit for. So I discussed how the illness helped me relate to some of the things patients are going through as they juggle lives and health concerns. (ie, they have better things to do than wait two hours in your office) but left the box for those with more claim to it.

My take on it was this: If something happened to you that you feel hurt your application numbers somewhat, OR if it was just something that made you suck it up and get stronger, mention it in some other context on the application. A positive spin is best for this - (long_john, you could discuss how you feel prepared for the workload of med school because you feel you are experienced at juggling responsibilities) But to check the box, you need to think in relative terms....do you think you are MORE disadvantaged than, say, 95% of other medical student applicants? Find out a little about the pool if you can- my impressions are that maxed-out loans and outside jobs are more common than trust funds among today's applicants.

Also, if you do check the box, beware: if anyone on the ad com considers themselves "more disadvantaged" than you, or has more experience with "more disadvantaged" folks, the same kind of resentment you see on this board will kill your application. And when you do talk about any kind of disadvantage, leave the self-pity and home and spin positive about why it made you stronger.

Long_John said:
I'm not saying like I had the hardest life in the world. far from it. but i believe there are different degrees of disadvantaged.

And you happen to fall under the degree of disadvantaged called "not at all."

Long_John said:
and when i was working I wasn't working for mcd's like the rest of you flipping bergers and popping your zits but i was working for a real estate agent with more responsibilities than most of you elitists have ever had.

I find this confusing. You're claiming that even though you were only working 15 hours a week, because you worked at a seemingly more important job in real estate than at McDonalds, therefore you're disadvantaged? There's no logic behind that argument whatsoever.

Long_John said:
and i'm not really applying disadvantaged to get the bump that most people get from coming from really messed up backgrounds but instead more trying to show the med schools how I responded under extreme adversity and pressure not to mention emotional pain and humiliation over my parent's both being unemployed.
i dont know how some of you are ever going to make good doctors with your ****ty compassion skills and total lack of understanding

Again, taking out student loans and working 15 hours is not extreme adversity. You seem to have no idea what the definition of adversity is. And have you shared with your parents the fact that their unfortunate situation caused you much humiliation among your peers? I'm sure they'd like to hear that.

Bottom line: you're the tool, not us. According to your rational of "different degrees of disadvantaged," anyone can claim to be disadvantaged. For example, someone could claim to be disadvantaged because they don't like the taste of coffee and can't stay up as late to study. And when people confront him about the fact that that's not really disadvantaged, he says, "Yes I am. It's just a different degree of being disadvantaged--I'm overcoming adversity and it shows my character." What utter bullsh*t.

I qualified for the Fee Assistance Program through AMCAS, my mother is a single parent, and I began working at the age of 15. I thought about marking the disadvantaged box, but I don't think I will since schools will see that I qualified for the FAP once secondaries roll around. Is this a good idea?

If you're sure that your qualification for FAP is clear to schools, I wouldn't check it. I can't back that up with any facts b/c I honestly don't know any, BUT if I were on an admission committee, I would think it was cool as hell that you met the necessary requirements for FAP but didn't seem to consider yourself "disadvantaged". It's a subtle attitude statement to me. Maybe that's reading too far into it, but isn't that what ad coms do anyway?

Alexander99 said:
What utter bullsh*t.

Agreed. This guy has no connection to reality whatsoever. He just bragged about his job with a real estate agent and directly implied he was better than someone who works at mcdonald's... then he calls people "elitists".

Thats hysterical.

Long_John, you can't possibly be this stupid.

Long_John said:
i'm not really applying disadvantaged to get the bump that most people get from coming from really messed up backgrounds but instead more trying to show the med schools how I responded under extreme adversity and pressure not to mention emotional pain and humiliation over my parent's both being unemployed.

LOL! HAHAHAA! Dude, that isn't extreme adversity, thats life. People lose their jobs all the time. All you're adverstising to adcoms is that you're a little ***** who can't deal with life. What an assclown.

Hey bro, in college, I had ~12 facial fractures from a sports accident and needed reconstructive surgery on the entire left side of my face - you want to talk about emotional pain and humiliation.... what about physical as well? That still wouldn't make me a disadvantaged applicant. There are a surprising number of people on this board who have starved at times b/c there family's were so poor or they lived out of their cars. You disrespect all of them by assuming you're in the same boat.

Your only adversity is being too stupid and sheltered to handle the basic stresses of life.

Please apply disadvantaged, I want people like you to fail.

AtomKr said:
If you're sure that your qualification for FAP is clear to schools, I wouldn't check it. I can't back that up with any facts b/c I honestly don't know any, BUT if I were on an admission committee, I would think it was cool as hell that you met the necessary requirements for FAP but didn't seem to consider yourself "disadvantaged". It's a subtle attitude statement to me. Maybe that's reading too far into it, but isn't that what ad coms do anyway?

Thanks for the advice!!!! :thumbup:

Long_John, I agree that people on this thread have been harsh on you, including myself. But you still dont seem to get what we're all talking about - claiming to be disadvantaged is a serious f*ing business, and will not be taken lightly by anyone who reads your application. I don't want to get in the business of saying that you cant claim what you want to claim, or that others deserve the label more than you, but even by measuring with the widest criteria, you just dont seem to have had an "unfair" opportunity to prepare for med school. Good luck with your app, just dont say you werent warned if your disadvantaged claim causes you to fall flat on your face in the process.

kinetic said:
I like how the government has lowered us to fighting over who was more broke and destitute. "I was so poor that I looked under seats for used chewing gum in the hopes that the previous user hadn't brushed before he/she chewed it and some pieces of food were stuck in there." "Oh, yeah? I was so poor that my sister and I wore the same clothes ...AT THE SAME TIME!!" You guys are so ghetto fabulous.

I have to agree here. The government encourages these attitudes, and they also have roots in American culture. One of the foundations of our popular culture is the Horatio Alger story - the mythic tale of the poor, deprived individual who rises to success through his own efforts. It's a nice enough story, but it's become a tad overused, and it's sometimes abused. Think about it - every politician or public figure who can even remotely get away with it claims that he overcame childhood poverty / deprivation to succeed.

And conversely few people - certainly not politicians - admit they grew up well-off, when they're in situations where such a background could be held against them. Because there are such situations. I, for one, have been scrupulously avoiding mentioning my parents' occupations and educational levels on AMCAS and every single one of my secondaries (because dammit, they all ask!) As it so happens, my parents are well-educated and upper middle class, but I don't want adcoms to categorize me, even subconsciously, as a child of privilege, who's been somehow coddled and encouraged throughout my upbringing. I'd prefer them to consider me on my own merits.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Long_John, I agree that people on this thread have been harsh on you, including myself. But you still dont seem to get what we're all talking about - claiming to be disadvantaged is a serious f*ing business, and will not be taken lightly by anyone who reads your application. I don't want to get in the business of saying that you cant claim what you want to claim, or that others deserve the label more than you, but even by measuring with the widest criteria, you just dont seem to have had an "unfair" opportunity to prepare for med school. Good luck with your app, just dont say you werent warned if your disadvantaged claim causes you to fall flat on your face in the process.

finally someone who talks to me like a real person
i recognize that my situation probably isn't like most of the disadvantages that applicants apply with. stuff like parents in prison or orphaned or something like that
Probably it would be better to classify my situation as a hardship, but the thing is I want to include it in my app so schools could at least see this is the way I responded to this important personal challenge.
I was thinking of including in PS but couldn't get it to work and my PS is already done. Only place I had left was "disadvantaged section" where they do say possible disadvantages could be 'financial'. i know that this happened to me much later in life so its like not the disadvantages some poor guys have when they grow up, but its not like i'm being untruthful in my summary. i'm being honest and telling them these are my hardships.

dont you think that adcoms would look at different disadvantages differently. I doubt its like an equation system where they just determine if you're disadvantaged and if so then add like 5 pts to your app or something
Wouldn't they be like when they looked at my application, "while this kid isn't messed up like some of the other kids we go, he still had some intense family issues and hardships which he was able to battle through. let's remember that before we make a decision"

Long_John, Don't get caught up in what the admission's committee might think about your disadvantage.

The point of the application is so that the admissions committee can get to know about you. You are supposed to highlight important points. If the fact that both of your parents were unemployed really affected you add that to your statement or put it somewhere in your application.

Claiming to be disadvantaged does not guarantee you anything. So if that is what you are going for you may be disappointed. If you are looking to show a part of your history that really shaped you, then it doesn't hurt for you to talk about your family's situation.

When you get into medical school (I say when because its ALWAYS good to think positively ;) ) you will never know what it was that "got you in". But as long as you are open and honest on your applications you can know that they accepted YOU (all of your hardships, successess, and failures).

Remember that you are unique. Despite what people tend to think "disadvantaged" has nothing to do with race, ethnicity, or religion. Try not to think of it that way.

Hope that helps.

Long_John said:
I regret ever starting this thread. Didn't know SDN was so full of jerks.
I'm not saying like I had the hardest life in the world. far from it.
but i believe there are different degrees of disadvantaged. and when i was working I wasn't working for mcd's like the rest of you flipping bergers and popping your zits but i was working for a real estate agent with more responsibilities than most of you elitists have ever had.

Dude, you are a jerk. WTF is this about flippin burgers. I put myself through college by working as a full-time paramedic. I,ve been doing it for 6 years! As far as poppin zits, I am 28 years old, but I still do get a zit occasionally, and if its offensive, I pop it. I guarantee that my job is more stressful and that I hold much more responsibility (people's lives for one) than you do working 15 hours a week in real estate. Do what you want, but don't generalize your comments about **** you don't know about.

kinetic said:
My post wasn't aimed specifically at you. I said 'this THREAD' cracks me up. However, since you want to complain, I find it hilarious that someone would tell someone else "you can't check that box!!" Who are you, the "broke-ass" police?
I never said "you can't check that box!!" either. I said I did not think he was disadvantaged for the AMCAS application.

BTW Long John, as far as financial disadvantage goes, it asks you what your parent's income was for most your time growing up. To me, that sound like it is looking for people with a disadvantaged BACKGROUND, not people that are recently or presently disadvantaged.