Discipline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you consider yourself disciplined?

• Yes

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 49 38.6%
  • Some of the time

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Not at all

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you consider yourself disciplined, in an academic setting? Do you have a tough time sitting down to study, or are you the opposite, where you cant find enough time to study?

Many have told me that success basically boils down to being disciplined and getting done what you need to do. Just want to see how many premeds consider themselves well disciplined.

Members don't see this ad.

Chris127 said:
Would you consider yourself disciplined, in an academic setting? Do you have a tough time sitting down to study, or are you the opposite, where you cant find enough time to study?

Many have told me that success basically boils down to being disciplined and getting done what you need to do. Just want to see how many premeds consider themselves well disciplined.

I'm kind of an adrenaline studier. Oh how I wish I could make myself sit down and do homework for every class every night, but I can't do it (especialy with a chronic sdn habit). However, I do end up doing all my assigned homework problems and readings, and go to all my classes, so I am disciplined compared to some.

I voted "most of the time." As long as it is important to me, I can get it done regardless of other interests. At the moment, though, senioritis is increasingly convincing me that it's not important, and that other interests are...

But I will say I think I use stress as a method of getting to work, probably unhealthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the time. Relative to my courseload, I spend an incredible amount of time doing things unrelated to schoolwork and studying. It's part rebellion, part immaturity, part independence. Taking 24 credits this semester, took 28 last, but I don't spend the suggested 12 hours per class on work - that would drive me mad. It's all about finding balance. From the start of each semester, I figure out which classes are going to give me the most trouble, and which ones I'll be able to autopilot, and adjust my habits accordingly. I'd do a lot better if I spent more time studying, but I just don't have the motivation - so much of this stuff is ridiculously boring. It's almost become a game - to see how much work I can saddle myself with, and how little of it I can do to still get out with A's and B's. This'll change in med school, since I'll actually have an interest in where I am, but currently, I don't feel much affection for my school, or for the amount of work we're expected to do here. So I tune out as much as I can, and tune in when it's time to get the work done.

Ah well. Two years left.

I was disciplined until I got into med school. This semester I think I have skipped more classes than I have attended.

Zoom-Zoom said:
I'm kind of an adrenaline studier. Oh how I wish I could make myself sit down and do homework for every class every night, but I can't do it (especialy with a chronic sdn habit). However, I do end up doing all my assigned homework problems and readings, and go to all my classes, so I am disciplined compared to some.

ME TOO...seriously describes me perfectly (minus the reading thing...I'm a lecture kinda gal). 2 weeks slacking, 2 days MACHINE, 1 week slacking, 3 days MACHINE. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

i only study when the pressure is HIGh and deadlines are coming up. i'm gonna need to re-strategize for med school. let me know if any of you have tips on books or anything for that
-mota

I put some of the time.

I have found myself cramming a lot lately, I'm not good at cramming though. I work full-time and am taking 13 credits so as much as I would love staying up and pulling an all-nighter, unfortunately I can't. My biggest problem is a) motivation and b) organization. I find it extremely difficult to study after a long 8-hour workday + 2 hour commute + 3 hours of class, and I really haven't been studying at all -- weekends I recooperate from the long and stressful week! Sheesh, I'm only 20 and I already feel like an old man... I better get used to it, huh?

It depends how interesting the material is. I've always been good at studying for school stuff, but I hated studying for the MCAT and going to my review course.

Sometimes I would skip my class and I would feel so wonderful and elated.

I have no idea how it will be in med school... hopefully not like that. :p

I generally have slacker tendencies... but when it counts, I'll step up to the plate. However, as I anecdotally learned, hard work is key to learning something well. The thing is, a little every day will go a long way. I made A's in orgo and most of my other science classes because I reviewed my notes regularly and made an effort to learn (and not memorize). Basics are also really important. You can't judiciously study complex reactions if you aren't fully comfortable with electron pushing, resonance, etc. Wouldn't you rather take the time to learn something, and then not have to cram it down your throat in the 48h before an exam? I think medical school will be different, since much of the information could be relevant one day in treating patients. Hence, more interest, less boredom, more drive to study.

If I was disciplined, I wouldn't be here right now :smuggrin:

Moto said:
If I was disciplined, I wouldn't be here right now :smuggrin:
same here... before SDN, i was so good. but after SDN, let's just say that i could benefit from an SDN anonymous meeting.