Discouraged: continuing to miss A’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peregrino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another quarter of school has gone by and once again I missed A’s in my postbacc classes. In analyzing what I am doing wrong, it seems that I mess up on the final exam— no matter how much I study, quiz myself, etc. For example, I had an A going into my Organic chemistry final but I messed up that final, so no A but a B. Ditto for physics. Last quarter, the same thing happened for biology and calculus. In all cases, did well on a tests but the final. I don’t know what to do next but I want to take the spring and summer quarter off to work on my approach to these classes, to just figure this out before retake these classes because I am so frustrated. I want to master this material before taking upper division sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just the final exam or exams in general? How are you doing on the midterm exams and how are they different than the final (including weight on final grade)?

Have you talked with someone in student services about resources on exam taking skills or coping with exam taking anxiety?
That is a good idea. I will talk to someone. I am starting to work with a therapist on test-taking skills; we have our first meeting (via Skype) this afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just the final exam or exams in general? How are you doing on the midterm exams and how are they different than the final (including weight on final grade)?
All of my finals are cumulative; I went through all of the material, self-testing myself. But the material tested on the final was significantly harder than the earlier midterms. I also seemed to forget material, even though I reviewed it and practiced recalling it on paper, just a few days before. I am wondering if I am just not skilled enough in memory, perhaps it is a function of being older student. My memory is not as good as what it was once.

I seemed to do well on most midterms, but the finals are worth much more and all are cumulative.

Thanks for your all your advice. I talked with a counselor/psychologist about my situation, my study habits, and goals. She thinks that I my problem with missing tests is a combination of lack of sleep (from working too much, taking too many classes, and volunteering too much, etc.), dealing with test-taking issues, possible doubts/self-sabotage about whether I can handle [pre-medical coursework and medical school as a returning student after being away from the sciences for years, and, perhaps, bad luck.

Regarding my exam anxiety and doubts: For example, in my organic chemistry course, on my exams I made strange errors: mistakes in which I knew what was the correct answer, but under the testing situation, flubbed: such as calling a 3 carbon compound an "eth" instead of "prop," failing to read (and thus failing to do) the final part of a multi-part question, etc.

My current plan:cut back on work and classes and back out of my volunteer work, deal with the test-taking issues, retake all the critical premedical courses in which I got B's but that I need to master the material prior to taking the next section of the class or an advanced course; then take advanced coursework and make sure that I get an A on the first try, and start studying for the MCAT now for next Spring.

Last edited:
Great job (1) seeking help (2) being honest with yourself (3) being willing to keep trying! So many people would just give up and settle for less than their goals because it's just "too hard" to work harder. I run into people like that all day, every day, so I want to make sure you know that you are already head and shoulders above so many people, even when you are feeling like you are not living up to your own expectations.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck and remember to update this post about success or failure stories to help others.

Great job (1) seeking help (2) being honest with yourself (3) being willing to keep trying! So many people would just give up and settle for less than their goals because it's just "too hard" to work harder. I run into people like that all day, every day, so I want to make sure you know that you are already head and shoulders above so many people, even when you are feeling like you are not living up to your own expectations.
Thanks. I am not ready to give up yet. I have already invested thirty years of healthcare work, including tens of thousands of hours of volunteer work with the poor. I want to leverage my extensive experience and lifelong passion into a new career as a physician.

You also need to become better at picking your battles, and that means picking your professors. Use sites like RMP along with recommendations from classmates. If you do end up with a tough prof, take some easy classes that semester. I big part of getting through the process is working smarter, not harder.

I have test anxiety and ADHD; medication for the latter does not work as well anymore so basically, it takes the edge off now but nothing more; anxiety remains.

Accommodations helped - quiet space, alone and extra time. My GPA for it all speaks volumes.

Test taking strategies:

1. if the test is given on paper that you can write on, whether or not you have to turn it in, underline, scribble and write why every answer choice is wrong OR why it is correct
2. star each question that you have a major doubt - not minor, but MAJOR - doubt with

For instance, on my biochem exams, we had to turn in the scantron sheet AND the hard copy of the exam itself. It came to me white and black and left in blue, and red and some pink.

Typically, with undergrad exams (gen, orgo, bio, physics) I found the midterms to be very detail oriented and the finals more at the conceptual level except for orgo... I take that back.

For all those who simply memorized old exams off Chegg and did not understand how to take 2 acetyl pieces and in ten steps make some esterified something or other, they were hosed (it was 25% of the exam)

It is not your age (I'm 54) but it sounds like test taking anxiety coupled with strategies. GREAT on you for acknowledging you needed help AND for getting it.

You can do this!!